Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-14-2006, 06:40 AM   #11
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

start with the X-Universe and return it to how it was in the good old days when it was just new mutants, x-men(uncanny) and x-factor, with depending on the time period, excalibur and wolverine. you don't need all this other series' keep it to a minimal 3 - four team books and 1 or 2 solo books

have a marvel universe vs Joe quesada book where everybody gets to torture the fat bastard for what he made them go through

if you don't have a script, don't greenlight a book. What will finish first - All star batman or Ultimate hulk/wolverine?

Stop restarting books at #1 (same goes to DC) it's just a tacky publicity stunt

have a marvel universe vs rob liefeld book
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #12
boobhound
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
why kill the mutants? Their titles sell more than those 70's rejects that are all the rage now a days ever will.

and bringing BACK claremont would be an aweful move
I was simply stating that if they (Marvel) were to do Days of Future Past/Present storyline. Bringing back all the parties involved in the beginning only makes sense. And the mutants are ''getting out of hand''. Make them few and proud like once before. And the 70's ''rejects were the staple of Marvel comics they have a history. Some of these new, redone with a twist characters nowadays quite simply cannot hold water. Same with DC. They (the Powers that be) need to sit down and go back to the basics. That is what sold comics, great characters, great art, great story/plot.
boobhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
Logan
Kindly Asked To Leave

Get rid of Wolverine's new costume and replace it with his old tiger stripe costume.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #14
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car50n View Post
you're joking right. i'm all for the shake up. but last time Johns had a chance to write marvel characters...he sucked giant fat ones. and last time he wrote anything of importance for DC. it blew major donkey nads as well...
Really? I guess Im still reliving the past work of Johns, particularily Avengers: Red Zone which was a great read. His work on Titans (the earlier issues) was pretty good too, IMHO, but I digress...
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #15
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobhound View Post
I was simply stating that if they (Marvel) were to do Days of Future Past/Present storyline. Bringing back all the parties involved in the beginning only makes sense.
I wasnt suggesting bringing back DOFP storyline, just cataclysm on that level...leaving only a handful of mutants would be more fun than whats going on now: you cant walk ten feet without tripping over a bunch of mutants!

Do not bring Claremont back.

Car50n, good suggestion on Millar for writing devasation on this level...
Old 10-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #16
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
I wasnt suggesting bringing back DOFP storyline, just cataclysm on that level...leaving only a handful of mutants would be more fun than whats going on now: you cant walk ten feet without tripping over a bunch of mutants!
Are you serious? They already did this, remember Wanda uttering "no more mutants"at the end of House of M? You do know there are only a handful of mutants left, don't you?

And as far as all the whinnining and complaining, marvel ain't changing a thing. You know why? The current hype machine is working well for them. I guess Joe Q is an adequate replacement after all.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #17
Teague
Iron Man

Here's what I'd do:

1) Fire Joe Q and his posse, but keep a few of his good ideas. And there have been some. Attracting talent is a big one, so I'd keep that going. But that leads me into #2...
2) Bring books out on-time. Establish a company policy centered around reader respect. Guarantee that books come out on time. Do this by requiring that all "pet projects" of "name" creators are either pretty much or all the way in the can before they're solicited. Take Kevin Smith's word for nothing.
3) Do away with variant covers for every book that's even slightly notable. If the fans want variants, do them for "big" books, and that's it. Even then, show some restraint.
4) Stop multi-book crossovers unless they're company-wide events, and then only go to that well once a year, tops. Preferably every 2-3 years. Let excitement really build for those events. Don't make them so common that people get bored. Boredom in comics is death.
5) Encourage guest-stars in books to offset the above rule. Used to be that when Spidey guest-starred in Daredevil, it wasn't a two-part story ending in Spectacular Spidey (or whatever the low-selling Spidey book might be at that point). Let fans look forward to a guest-star again without having to mourn the fact that they'll need to buy one issue of a series they don't collect to get the whole thing.
6) And along the same lines, slash the number of books centered on one character/team to...one. This is extreme, I know, but I think it would actually encourage sales again. There would be an income loss for a short time, but I think it would climb again when it became clear that this one book was, simply put, awesome. Multiple books on one character water down that character, and add to the crossover-problem in #4 above. One book per character or team would force the best creative teams to work on a single book, and make those books that much better. The higher quality will draw in both new and former readers. The books will become ROAR books across the board. Collecting will be easier again (which I think is a huge issue for a lot of collectors--I know at least seven people who have stopped collecting altogether because it was just getting out-of-hand storage-wise, and a big part of that was the proliferation of extraneous series). And just reading will be easier, too. Want to read about Spider-Man? Here's his book. Easy as pie. (My only exception to this would be other-universe books of the same character, which don't coun't, I don't think. But there should be one 616 Spidey-book, one Ultimate Spidey-book, etc.)

How could all this work, though? I'll tell you how, and prove what I'm proposing can be feasible: Daredevil.

Daredevil is a great example of how the above principles can work, will work. It's been a must-read for years now because his title is unsullied for the most part by all the crap that Marvel tends to do. It's independent from most crossover tie-ins, because it's been operating out there on its own. It's still part of the larger MU, but not to the degree that it's been part of ongoing tie-ins or multi-part crossovers. It's had scads of great guest-stars, but those only added to the book, because it made sense that they were there, and their stories weren't continued in their own home book. Or if they were, as in The Pulse, it wasn't necessary--and definitely not set-up to be mandatory--to read both. Each made sense inside it's own book, and didn't rely on the other. Very reminiscent of classic Marvel, when only a text box saying "as told in the fantabulous Fantastic Four #48!--Ed." appeared to cross-promote. And lastly, there's been one DD book--barring the mostly forgettable mini-series--so there's no overkill. The book is very popular, and very profitable. It's become one of the class acts, the cream of the crop, at Marvel. And there's a reason for it, aside from the great creative teams--it's been handled well, which sadly is rare for Marvel.

That's what I'd do. Oh, and the mutant thing sounds good, too.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #18
risingstar
Jedi Order

If I ran Marvel, my primary objective would be to get kids and teens reading again. To do that, I would have to slash prices by at least half. If that means using a cheaper form of paper and paying writers and artists less, then that's a sacrifice I might have to make in the short term. After all, the future of the trade is at stake here. I'd also mandate for books to come out on time. If an artist is late with penciling pages 18-22, then someone else gets to do them. Period. I would not allow for the artist to be placed in front of the company or its fan base. It's time for tough decisions, folks.

Secondly, in order to draw the teens/kids in, I would start an entirely new line of books with the central characters . As much as I would love to kill everyone in the present Marvel Universe, the aging 40+ year old fan base would have a k'niption so I would keep their line of books going for a while longer. My mindset would be to slowly weed them out because they've pretty much already seen everything which makes them very tough to please.

As for who I'd hire as a general manager... It most certainly would not be a comic book person. I'd be much more interested in hiring someone whose last memory of comics was a positive one and was based on their experiences as a teenager or early 20-something. That way, there wouldn't be too much of a bias towards any one or two books. I'd want a manager who knows how to reach kids, who has lots of experience doing so at a business level, and wholeheartedly believes we have the product to make things happen.

I would arrange for major press conferences to let the world know what we're doing.

That would be Year One.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #19
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Bring back good comics not good looking covers
Find a way to bring down the price of comics
Have good writers and artists that stay on a book longer than 10 issues.
Stop all this lateness with comics
Start selling download comics and comics on dvd
Stop all the killing
Fix the x-men these are great characters that are being abused.
Leave spiderman alone stop these lame stories.
Bring back some comics from the 70`s there is a market for this.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #20
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Also bring back the days of the 70's comic cover that helped to sell the book and gave you a preview about the contents.