Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-16-2006, 11:20 AM   #31
Relic Reaper
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I'd fire every writer or editor who used the word "clone" (or the concept of a clone) in any story for the next 10 years.
Relic Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #32
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
great points teague. I think Astonishing X-men is another example of a book not really affected all that much by the cross-overs.
I agree with you on this, Mike. The great thing about Astonishing is that it did its own thing, and did it so well that other writers started writing off of its continuity instead of the "regular" book.

I still think it was a completely missed opportunity that Astonishing was its own title and not part of the regular Uncanny run. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about--don't use brand-new titles to spotlight your prestige creators! Use the prestige of a long-running and popular title (Uncanny) to add to the prestige of a visiting writer/artist (Whedon & Cassaday) to make for a kick-a$$ run. Bolster your main titles--don't expect that there's a built-in audience for Uncanny and therefore use your resources making another new X-book the best out there instead, just to add to your profits. It works to make money in the short-run, but loses readers in the long-run. Readers who are there for Whedon's run won't stick around and keep reading Uncanny once he's gone, because when Whedon's run is over, so (probably) is the book. If Whedon's run had been part of Uncanny, there would have been a lot more readers who got hooked and stayed with it.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #33
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
I agree with you on this, Mike. The great thing about Astonishing is that it did its own thing, and did it so well that other writers started writing off of its continuity instead of the "regular" book.

I still think it was a completely missed opportunity that Astonishing was its own title and not part of the regular Uncanny run. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about--don't use brand-new titles to spotlight your prestige creators! Use the prestige of a long-running and popular title (Uncanny) to add to the prestige of a visiting writer/artist (Whedon & Cassaday) to make for a kick-a$$ run. Bolster your main titles--don't expect that there's a built-in audience for Uncanny and therefore use your resources making another new X-book the best out there instead, just to add to your profits. It works to make money in the short-run, but loses readers in the long-run. Readers who are there for Whedon's run won't stick around and keep reading Uncanny once he's gone, because when Whedon's run is over, so (probably) is the book. If Whedon's run had been part of Uncanny, there would have been a lot more readers who got hooked and stayed with it.
Great points. Another bad thing about astonishing is the timing, late late late.

I also liked your point about company wide cross overs. First Avengers Dissasembled (which included several other "disassembled titles") went to HoM which lead to DeciMation, which lead to Civil War, which leads to World War Hulk, and odn't forget that Annhilation is in there too.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #34
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Aww man i like this thread, fun ideas all around.

#1: Give Joe Q da boot! and Bendis too!

#2: Bring Genis-Vell back as Captain Marvel and get Peter David back to writing this title. and X-Man (Nate grey) into the X titles (only cause these are my two fan boy wishes.)

#3: Give New Avengers stories again like the first 3 issues, where it was action packed and had potential to be one of the best books.

#4: Fix the damn X titles and all the characters in them, plus kill off Professor X once and for all!

#5: Never ever ever ever again would i let a story like House Of M be produced again.

#6: Would like to get more stories such as Avengers Forever, Earth X titles going again.

#7: Anyone who mentions Rob Leifeld in the House of Ideas would get fired and have all security in every Marvel Office deny his entry.

#8; Stop these gimmick events and variant covers

#9: Bring in some fresh blood for stories and art in some of the lower key books. To see if there is new stars out there that can bring a book thats going down the drain to a new high.

#10: I would get Udon to get a Mini series going with Street Fighter vs X-men, cause i think it would be a fun title and a change of pace from all these past crapy "EVENTS"!

These are just some fast ideas off the top of my head.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #35
CanadianMachine
I am da law!

1. Get rid of variants, that seems to be a common goal here.

2. Reduce crossovers in books.

3. A character only gets one book per universe. No more 4 Spidey titles or 3 Wolverine books or 1500 X titles. Just one book.

4. No more reboots.

5. Bring back continuity.

6. Dead means dead. No more rebirths.

7. Leifeild in banned for life.

8. Do a crossover with Spawn, where he gets killed off forever (see #6). I dont care who does it, just kill him.

9. Give Spidey to Brubaker to fix.
CanadianMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:17 AM   #36
masters of evil
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Teague, you had some great points

Daredevil has rocked for some time now and the last story line has me reading that book first when it comes in. And I am a die-hard spidey fan, but lately, spidey blows. The only one I like latley is the one with the foes of Peter Parker. So heres my list

1) I have to agree with the variants. Too many of them. No longer a special thing, though I did like the Marvel Zombies one

2) Go more into the heads of the villians. Spideys got some great villians and could have some real potential if they went into the depths of the minds of his bad guys. The foes of PP is showing some signs of this. Get more into what makes them tick, and why they are doing what they are doing.

3) reduce the amount of titles of a character. this seems to be a popular one

4) covers that actually have something to do with the inside story. who wants to see another picture. give it some substance by having relavance to the story

5) bring back the 70's fights. remember several pages in a comic of the hero and bad guy and them duking it out. Spidey giving the goblin a double clutched fist to the head WWWHHOOMMPPPP it could almost knock the teeth out. Taking on the kingpin with eight different poses of snapshots in a fight. Punches, kicks, karate chops, knees, head butts. MAN, I miss those fights. You actually felt the fight and took it in. (can you tell I really dug those fights)

6) I gotta go with getting rid of Joe Q. He unmasked Spidey and he disturbed the sacred deaths of Bucky and Uncle Ben(from a different universe). Bucky and Ben were two of the few deaths that were never touched until now. Joe, you suck
masters of evil is offline   Reply With Quote