Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-05-2024, 11:50 PM   #311
Agent_J.Warren
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
Adamantium Member

Question about longevity of paint. Recently picked up an older statue from 2019, noticed all the paint looks like it's starting to peel or something. I've got it under pure white light which makes it more noticable but I've never personally had this issue before expect when there's bad paint application...

That said, how long can we reasonably expect the paint to last on these things? The price keeps going up and I'm debating where I want to go in terms of collecting. Will they all eventually peel even if they're in low temp, low humidity?

Edit: for the record. I'm happy with the piece I got and I'm not complaining about anything Sideshow did. It simply put it into perspective for me that "oh sh--, these have a short life expectancy..." Maybe we've got about 15-20 years with them at maximum if we take good care of them?
Agent_J.Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 01:48 PM   #312
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Sorry for asking again... But I do really want to know the answer.

What's the oldest piece you guys have and how does it look now compared to when you got it? Was it enclosed the entire time you've had it if it still looks new? Just stuff like that. Wanting to get a legitimate idea of life expectancy. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-07-2024, 02:58 PM   #313
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_J.Warren View Post

What's the oldest piece you guys have and how does it look now compared to when you got it? Was it enclosed the entire time you've had it if it still looks new? Just stuff like that. Wanting to get a legitimate idea of life expectancy. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance...
I've had pieces that are much older than that, Minibust, etc.. that have not been compromised in any way. 2019 is not old. It was probably not sealed properly.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 03:03 PM   #314
dao2
Cyclops

I'm not sure which one is actually older but my oldest ones from SS that I have are the Hoth wampa Diorama, SWS Predator Maquette, and Alien Warrior from resurrection, paint on all 3 of them are fine. Flaking paint can be an issue of improper production.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 03:21 PM   #315
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
I'm not sure which one is actually older but my oldest ones from SS that I have are the Hoth wampa Diorama, SWS Predator Maquette, and Alien Warrior from resurrection, paint on all 3 of them are fine. Flaking paint can be an issue of improper production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
I've had pieces that are much older than that, Minibust, etc.. that have not been compromised in any way. 2019 is not old. It was probably not sealed properly.

Thank you both for the info. So it's likely the clear coat that was bad from the sound of it? I collected 1/10 and 1/6 until around 2017ish so I wasn't sure if what to expect in terms of the 1/4 statues I began collecting in their place. I was hoping they would remain like new as long as they're protected from air and elements.

My statues are now all inside Moducases. I also live in the high desert and constantly have a dehumidifier and air purifier running in the basement where they are on display.

Going forward do you see the problems worsening with the affected statues or should they be preserved in their present state regardless of if there is a problem with the clear coat? I can give them a new clear coat if you think I should but I'd rather not worry about it if they'll be fine going forward.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:22 PM   #316
SDguy

I agree, this is not age related.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:14 PM   #317
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Thank you both for the info. So it's likely the clear coat that was bad from the sound of it? I collected 1/10 and 1/6 until around 2017ish so I wasn't sure if what to expect in terms of the 1/4 statues I began collecting in their place. I was hoping they would remain like new as long as they're protected from air and elements.

My statues are now all inside Moducases. I also live in the high desert and constantly have a dehumidifier and air purifier running in the basement where they are on display.

Going forward do you see the problems worsening with the affected statues or should they be preserved in their present state regardless of if there is a problem with the clear coat? I can give them a new clear coat if you think I should but I'd rather not worry about it if they'll be fine going forward.

The humidity might be playing a bit of havoc on the collection. Not an expert on that but I have received one statue that had a bit of humidity in the resin and the paint bubbled and cracked. But that was a result of the resin not being totally dry before it got painted. I'm guessing it would be too much to air condition the space downstairs to 65 degrees.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:30 PM   #318
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
The humidity might be playing a bit of havoc on the collection. Not an expert on that but I have received one statue that had a bit of humidity in the resin and the paint bubbled and cracked. But that was a result of the resin not being totally dry before it got painted. I'm guessing it would be too much to air condition the space downstairs to 65 degrees.
The temp inside is kept at 67 in the winter and 72 in the summer. Basement is generally a few degrees lower year round by default so I'm assuming the temp should still be in okay range? I hope anyway. I'm terms of humidity, I keep the basement at 45% year-round as well. I can adjust if you think I need too. Should I lower, raise or keep the same do you think?

The piece I got recently came from southern California, spent a small fortune on it too as it's a rarer variant out there. I detailed it and gently cleaned off the layers of dried dust. Also have a feeling it had been in their garage or something for God knows how long in the heat from the way it looked when I got it. Now that it's in a good home I just want to do my part to make sure that it's adequately preserved for years to come, trying to decide if I do anything further for it or if it'll be okay now.

From my own collection though I even have some newer pieces that have micro-peeling already too which I thought was strange as those had never even been on display, also temperature controlled inside in the basement.

If I can change anything in my house to help them I'll take the advice. I'm open to your suggestions.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:19 PM   #319
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
The temp inside is kept at 67 in the winter and 72 in the summer. Basement is generally a few degrees lower year round by default so I'm assuming the temp should still be in okay range? I hope anyway. I'm terms of humidity, I keep the basement at 45% year-round as well. I can adjust if you think I need too. Should I lower, raise or keep the same do you think?

The piece I got recently came from southern California, spent a small fortune on it too as it's a rarer variant out there. I detailed it and gently cleaned off the layers of dried dust. Also have a feeling it had been in their garage or something for God knows how long in the heat from the way it looked when I got it. Now that it's in a good home I just want to do my part to make sure that it's adequately preserved for years to come, trying to decide if I do anything further for it or if it'll be okay now.

From my own collection though I even have some newer pieces that have micro-peeling already too which I thought was strange as those had never even been on display, also temperature controlled inside in the basement.

If I can change anything in my house to help them I'll take the advice. I'm open to your suggestions.
Honestly, if you are also noticing that on newer pieces, then there must be something environmental contributing to the deterioration. Maybe do a live chat with one of the SS reps and see if they can maybe direct you to someone with a bit more knowledge of this.

I have quite a few statues and none have flaked. Even my Hot Toys with their faux leather clothing haven't cracked, like I have seen posted.

You don't want to spend thousands on a collection that's is falling apart quicker than necessary.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:24 PM   #320
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:

Thanks in advance...
To answer this question, I think one of my oldest pieces is Hellboy PF from 2003? maybe 2002? it was displayed on top of a Detolf for several years and then when we moved it got put on it's own display pedestal. Recently boxed him up and he looks brand spanking new. I think some of my DC statues may pre-date that. no deterioration noticed.