Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #9151
adee
Green Arrow

My guess would be that XM and P1 don't produce nearly the amount that SS does. That coupled with the fact that XM does go the extra mile with their packaging.

I can't really speak for P1 as I don't own any of their statues.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #9152
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
My guess would be that XM and P1 don't produce nearly the amount that SS does. That coupled with the fact that XM does go the extra mile with their packaging.

I can't really speak for P1 as I don't own any of their statues.
That has some truth to it.

To put things in perspective. SS currently has 81 PFs available for order compared to 60+ total items XM has released in their short history. If we also look at the ES the diffference gets astronomical. And that is just one line SSc produces and sells.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #9153
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I agree with everyone that it is a masterpiece. I also agree that a lot of people are trying to go out of their way to be negative, maybe due to the cost or just to be naysayers due to the hype. I've even seen a few people on fb groups bashing this piece NON STOP.... without even receiving theirs yet. Which is just unwarranted. So out of 750 EX we have seen maybe 10 damaged, I've seen maybe 40 tops indicate it's great.... that leaves another 700 people out there in the abyss which for all we know have a flawless Thanos.

I'm of the mindset that a paint smudge here or there is not bad QC. Yes this statue is very expensive... but it is still an item made in large quantity in a factory by workers. We aren't all getting a hand crafter statue painted by the Sideshow master painters in house. So while we shouldn't expect damaged pieces or seriously screwed up paint apps, we also shouldn't expect absolute perfection because that is unreasonable.

I also will agree that Sideshow needs to step up their packaging. I'm not a fanboy of any company. I just like to appreciate all statues for the art they are and with that will give the benefit of the doubt to everyone. However, after receiving an XM package, and seeing how P1 uses cloth inserts, there is no excuse to keep the same old packaging that has proven to be inferior. I mean, packaging materials for a company which specializes in shipping items would not be too much of an additional cost but even if that trickles down to the consumer, I would be fine paying an extra $5 if I knew the shipping would be closer to XM.

After spending I guess a couple weeks now with Thanos and going over every detail, he is without a doubt the best statue I have ever seen in person. And after staring at it literally for hours, sure I can find a few small problems but I still feel I got my "worth" and that is with me paying almost double what you Americans paid!
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #9154
ygfamily21
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

this is by far the best statue ive ever got in my life. once i get my XM hulkbuster things might change a little but yes this piece is just insane. i look at it and look at it again and again and this is just insane. the best up to date.
ygfamily21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #9155
adee
Green Arrow

Mine is still not even in it's proper spot in my office and somehow it's like he was always meant to be here.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #9156
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
After spending I guess a couple weeks now with Thanos and going over every detail, he is without a doubt the best statue I have ever seen in person. And after staring at it literally for hours, sure I can find a few small problems but I still feel I got my "worth" and that is with me paying almost double what you Americans paid!
You know Jones, I don't think I have spent so much time in my display area, lying on my sofa, staring at this statue. It is one heck of a piece. I am amazed at how well the paint apps are. Sure, we have seen lots and lots of well painted statues, but none have the intricacies of this piece. It amazes me there is next to no (or at all) bleeding on the fine stripes that run through the outfit. Whoever painted my statue has hands steady as Mount Everest.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #9157
ovp3664
The Avengers

Quote:
I agree with everyone that it is a masterpiece. I also agree that a lot of people are trying to go out of their way to be negative, maybe due to the cost or just to be naysayers due to the hype. I've even seen a few people on fb groups bashing this piece NON STOP.... without even receiving theirs yet. Which is just unwarranted. So out of 750 EX we have seen maybe 10 damaged, I've seen maybe 40 tops indicate it's great.... that leaves another 700 people out there in the abyss which for all we know have a flawless Thanos.

I'm of the mindset that a paint smudge here or there is not bad QC. Yes this statue is very expensive... but it is still an item made in large quantity in a factory by workers. We aren't all getting a hand crafter statue painted by the Sideshow master painters in house. So while we shouldn't expect damaged pieces or seriously screwed up paint apps, we also shouldn't expect absolute perfection because that is unreasonable.

I also will agree that Sideshow needs to step up their packaging. I'm not a fanboy of any company. I just like to appreciate all statues for the art they are and with that will give the benefit of the doubt to everyone. However, after receiving an XM package, and seeing how P1 uses cloth inserts, there is no excuse to keep the same old packaging that has proven to be inferior. I mean, packaging materials for a company which specializes in shipping items would not be too much of an additional cost but even if that trickles down to the consumer, I would be fine paying an extra $5 if I knew the shipping would be closer to XM.

ovp3664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #9158
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:

Great post Jonesy. I agree with everything here.

I was somewhat expecting that Thanos would have maybe some new standard of packaging for Sideshow. I was surprised when it arrived and didn't come double boxed with the foam corners like most of Sideshow's other pieces recently.

I'm one of those unfortunate EX owners with a cracked statue. It does sour the experience for me a bit, and I'm just crossing my fingers that my replacement arrives in good condition.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #9159
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
You know Jones, I don't think I have spent so much time in my display area, lying on my sofa, staring at this statue. It is one heck of a piece. I am amazed at how well the paint apps are. Sure, we have seen lots and lots of well painted statues, but none have the intricacies of this piece. It amazes me there is next to no (or at all) bleeding on the fine stripes that run through the outfit. Whoever painted my statue has hands steady as Mount Everest.
This is the most intricate piece you have seen? Or the best painted intricate piece you have seen? That's an odd statement for a Throne piece with larger surface areas than most 1:4 statues (though he is larger).
Off the bat, the newest Spidey PF has a far more intricate design and needed paint app, with shading from the explosion etc. The list goes on.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #9160
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Really happy to hear that!! I agree, the actual outfit of Thanos on mine is spot on, it's crazy. I've only had a couple of people over since obtaining him and each time they see him the immediate reaction is "holy crap" and these are non-collectors. Even my wife often will stop and look at it and say "it's crazy how good that one is"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
Great post Jonesy. I agree with everything here.

I was somewhat expecting that Thanos would have maybe some new standard of packaging for Sideshow. I was surprised when it arrived and didn't come double boxed with the foam corners like most of Sideshow's other pieces recently.

I'm one of those unfortunate EX owners with a cracked statue. It does sour the experience for me a bit, and I'm just crossing my fingers that my replacement arrives in good condition.
You and I have talked about this and I trust everything will be in good order once you get your replacement. Sideshow seems to be good at this, which is really all you can ask for (besides having a perfect piece from the beginning).
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote