Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-05-2021, 08:23 PM   #421
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I'm not so sure that it is. Disney now owns the rights to all the franchises - both movie and comic - except Spiderman. Yet I will be damned if they don't crank out a pretty fair amount of Spiderman statues.

All the arguments of "it's not that simple, it's gotta be a licensing issue" would fly with me if other companies weren't making a wider range of characters - and some of those companies Sideshow sells on their website. However, why didn't Sideshow make a Black Panther PF when the movie was ON FIRE?! Why never a Loki, classic Iron Man, the entire GoTG roster?

Why? It's because they are scared and frankly not that creative anymore with character choices. They have made their coin and now they will serve more as a distributor for other companies while rehashing their cash cow characters - Wolverine, Batman, Harley, Thor... That is not to say the sculptors aren't crushing the sculpts they are asked to make, I'm saying Sideshow has next to no creativity with their choices. It's funny we have two Black Canary and Power Girl (no offense Augen) statues before a Two Face or Nightwing.
Couldn’t agree more. Every other company can make any character really let’s look at XMs index in last 5 years . It’s shameful for SS. So I’m not totally hating on them as I do still at random buy some pieces but they spend so much time keeping other companies out of their backyards they should focus more on what made them awesome to begin with.

They lost that somewhere years ago!

XM pieces

Magik
Storm
Prof X
Namor
Scorpion
Hulkbuster
Lizard
Doc Ock
Electro
Sandman
Kraven
Mysterio
Vulture

And so many more Sideshow has never attempted . Why? Many of those above had ES under 400 but who’s counting the point is they are confident in their company and product and it shows .
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #422
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
In fairness though, we have no idea what the development timeline was like for this. For all we know we should have seen this much sooner but maybe the original concept got canned?

They seem to do a fair amount of characters to me. I still can’t believe Taskmaster is getting the PF treatment. Given current environment though who could blame them for taking a cautious approach?

I just hope they nailed this one.
This right here...and no (insert well known character). The logic isn't there... It could be SS stepping on their own toes, but I find it hard to believe they'd pass up on such sure sales while releasing a relative unknown.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:50 PM   #423
saberhagen
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
This right here...and no (insert well known character). The logic isn't there... It could be SS stepping on their own toes, but I find it hard to believe they'd pass up on such sure sales while releasing a relative unknown.
Taskmaster kind of makes sense to me with a very current movie and game appearances, but Sideshow doesn't seem that on top of trends, so it feels like coincidence. Especially since the costumes don't really match.

Getting a Batman Who Laughs 4 years after his first appearance feels both blazingly fast for Sideshow and yet still too slow for the character's popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
Couldn’t agree more. Every other company can make any character really let’s look at XMs index in last 5 years . It’s shameful for SS. So I’m not totally hating on them as I do still at random buy some pieces but they spend so much time keeping other companies out of their backyards they should focus more on what made them awesome to begin with.

They lost that somewhere years ago!

XM pieces

Magik
Storm
Prof X
Namor
Scorpion
Hulkbuster
Lizard
Doc Ock
Electro
Sandman
Kraven
Mysterio
Vulture

And so many more Sideshow has never attempted . Why? Many of those above had ES under 400 but who’s counting the point is they are confident in their company and product and it shows .
I think it's all about the numbers. Getting 400 of Kraven is pretty good, but Sideshow doesn't seem to want to do less than 1000 of anything with some going to 6000+. Some would be hits, but who wants to be the guy pushing for Lizard and then it sells 500 statues over 2 years? That could have been 4000 Spider-Man's.
saberhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:39 PM   #424
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
Magik
Storm
Prof X
Namor
Scorpion
Hulkbuster
Lizard
Doc Ock
Electro
Sandman
Kraven
Mysterio
Vulture
Sideshow has done a few of those. They just all need newer versions.

ESPECIALLY Namor. It was a 1/4 comiquette and it’s extremely dated now.

Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:54 PM   #425
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberhagen View Post
Taskmaster kind of makes sense to me with a very current movie and game appearances, but Sideshow doesn't seem that on top of trends, so it feels like coincidence. Especially since the costumes don't really match.

Getting a Batman Who Laughs 4 years after his first appearance feels both blazingly fast for Sideshow and yet still too slow for the character's popularity.

I think it's all about the numbers. Getting 400 of Kraven is pretty good, but Sideshow doesn't seem to want to do less than 1000 of anything with some going to 6000+. Some would be hits, but who wants to be the guy pushing for Lizard and then it sells 500 statues over 2 years? That could have been 4000 Spider-Man's.
Valid points.

I think Sideshow likes to match trends but they don’t see it as necessary. There’s no trends for Storm, yet there is for Scarlet Witch.

4 years is probably normal for SS. A PF can spend years in development with them. That thread about Mr. Freeze and Scarecrow with the emails in it, the dates prove that.

Taskmaster...maybe they did it because of the movie, but if TM is as silent and one note in the movie as she (I’m convinced! They’re pulling a Ghost here!) is in the trailer, that movie will do nothing for PF sales. And honestly, outside of geeks how many casual movie goers can name the villains in Thor 2, either Ant-Man, Iron Man 3 or Doctor Strange? Or even Venom? Tons of people love the MCU but could care less about reading comics. The movie only fan isn’t checking for a comic book version statue.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:09 AM   #426
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

If we could somehow convince these statue companies that Storm is another version of Harley Quinn maybe she'll get the love and deserves.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #427
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

All the pieces sideshow did of characters I mentioned are extremely dated grail or not . These go back a decade . Way too long
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #428
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I want a new Magik. That comiquette is OK but quite dated looking. Plus I want her in her black costume.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #429
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I don't believe that at all. My brother does a lot of contract work for Hasbro and Mattel. Power Rangers, Hot Wheels, you name it.... recently he's been doing Micronauts work, and now started on ROM The Space Knight. He tells me all sorts of licensing stories. ROM for example.... there is Marvel, IDW, Hasbro, even Paramount involved with him. My brother has LIST of rules he needs to follow when doing any concept work (ie cannot even touch certain things... never mind getting to the point of doing something that gets rejected). Frankly he just laughs at me when I tell him about people blaming SS for not doing particular characters, that would obviously sell well.

But hey, everyone is free to believe whatever theory they want to believe
Yup, a lot of people think it´s just "buy Marvel license" = "can do whatever Marvel character they want". It´s just not how it goes with any company.

IS for exemple already said that there is a different contract for different Marvel characters. For exemple, they need a contract for the X-Men and a different contract for the Avengers. And these contracts don´t always have the same terms.

I think it´s also pretty likely that licensors make companies make some characters, according to other factors. Like all The Nun statues that came out near the movie, considering it´s a not well known character.
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #430
Y3E
Gen 13

For whatever reason SS makes a character or don't, I really hope they make a 1/4 Nightcrawler. As much as I like Storm, he should be done before any repeat X-characters.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote