Old 11-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #21
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Clay's got 2 of the 4 shelves in my main showcase
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #22
Magik
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Awesome collection of Clay's works.
Magik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #23
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Bah! Only 2 shelves? If one of those pieces wasn't a Barbarian bronze, I'd heap piles of feces upon your name.
Good to see you around here, big D.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #24
Clayburn S Moore
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
Seriously... seriously....

Okay, so I've been buying statues for only a little over a year, have no interest in mini-busts, and was only buyin' Bowen full-sized statues for a while, and being very picky about what I buy (mostly because my gallery only has so much room for statues as it doubles as an art gallery/entertainment room.. fine.. fine, it's my "man-cave": No Wives Allowed. )

Anyways, back to my hatred. So.. yeah... Mostly Bowens, three Gentle Giant Star Wars animaquettes (done with those now, bought the three I wanted)... then... ECCC early this year. I was introduced to Clay Moore and Shelley. Great people, and Clay's undeniably one of the best sculptors in the business. So.. because of his hospitality, and the fact that his sculptures rock (and the convention being my first convention I've ever been to), I bought one of his statues.

Then... at SDCC this year...same dealio.. and another statue was bought. Actually, two were bought for myself (plus I hooked up some Forum buds).

I've since bought two more statues in the last couple of months (The Darkness and Bikini Witchblade) that were produced by Moore Studio, and it's so easy to not question whether or not his statues will be "quality" because when they're released they far exceed "quality" and shoot right into "excellence".

Now... I'm looking at the Aphrodite IX statue... a character I know next to nothing about.. and I'm finding myself wanting to purchase her. I am NOT someone who buys every statue a company produces simply to "own them all", I buy only characters I love, and only usually one statue of said character. Yet here I am, wanting to purchase Aphrodite.... planning on doing so. I'm married, so yeah... I'm dead from the waist down.. her being a "pretty girl" doesn't affect me at all... she's merely a gorgeous statue. A gorgeous statue that I must own.

So.. thanks... Clay.. for making me spend money on characters I know nothing about. First there was Invincible (but I've since caught up on his adventures.. a GREAT read, if you haven't looked him up yet, people), now there's this Aphrodite Temptress.

Not to mention Angelus, which I'll be pickin' up down the road. I remember her from when I read The Darkness back in the day, but that wouldn't matter... she'll be just as superbly crafted as everything else; thus, if I wasn't familiar with the character, I'd cave and buy her anyways.

Seriously.. thanks for being so talented.. and having such diverse tastes in what you sculpt. I usually don't "flip" statues of mine, but I have recently started doing so with statues from another company that no longer "do it" for me. Not all of my statues from that company, but the few that I could do without. I'm sure there will be more made by "them" that I'll want, but few and far between as my tastes are so specific. Your statues, on the other hand, have never been anything less than a pleasure to own and admire. Screw specifics.. I must own them! I think the fact that you don't put out a ton of them per year makes them all the more treasure to be squandered, rather than a commodity to be enjoyed for a time, then sold off at a later date.

So.. yeah.. I hate you because I like being in control of my hobbies, and not my hobbies being in control of me. Thanks for such marvelous handiwork, and I can't wait to see what's next.

(Obviously I don't actually hate you. Just clearin' that up for any noodle-noggins that may read this.)
Hi Argonus,
I just wanted to write and let you know that this is a terrific letter. Thanks for writing it and thanks for collecting. It means a lot that you'd take the time and it makes the job that much easier and more fulfilling. I'll keep trying to turn out good quality sculptures and I hope you'll keep collecting for a long, long time.
It was really good to meet you in Seattle and to see you in San Diego. Looking forward to next time.
Best,

Clay
Clayburn S Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #25
Clayburn S Moore
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Bah! Only 2 shelves? If one of those pieces wasn't a Barbarian bronze, I'd heap piles of feces upon your name.
Good to see you around here, big D.
And thanks to the rest of you for chiming in on this thread. It does me heart good to read such fine remarks. Hope you like the new pieces....Conan, Dark Ivory and the Lady Death Variant are finished and in the molds. I'm now working on the Tucci piece and Angelus. I also need to squeeze in a new zombie in there...The shows this season set me back a bit, but it was great to get to see current collectors and meet new ones.

Clay
Clayburn S Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #26
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Great news on all points! Really looking forward to some painted previews.
Thanks much for the updates, Clay.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #27
touche22
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Oooooooooo, Angelus!! And a Tucci piece?? Is it regular CSM scale or Billy scale ? (OK...if Billy reads this he's gonna insist he's taller than me to which I reply SHENANIGANS!!!!!)
touche22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #28
MinisterOfFire
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayburn S Moore View Post
And thanks to the rest of you for chiming in on this thread. It does me heart good to read such fine remarks. Hope you like the new pieces....Conan, Dark Ivory and the Lady Death Variant are finished and in the molds. I'm now working on the Tucci piece and Angelus. I also need to squeeze in a new zombie in there...The shows this season set me back a bit, but it was great to get to see current collectors and meet new ones.

Clay
wOoT!
MinisterOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #29
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Sounds good, Clay.

I'm glad you liked my letter.. I meant every word.

Seriously.. I love my new trend of buying one or more of your pieces every convention I go to... the problem is, I'm buying them when I'm not at conventions now also.

By the way, this is Ryan...the guy you helped get the Robert Kirkman signature on his Invincible statue at ECCC, etc... just clarifying. I realize I didn't "sign" my name on the post, and you have a huge following on here. You probably remember my "username", but it's been a long day.. so bear with me. Haha.

Of course, I'm also an idiot, apparently, since you'd know who I am/what I look like by way of my avatar.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:24 AM   #30
Davidian
Omega Flight

Angelus! Woot woot!
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote