Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
k9ziggy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

A "funny" story - looong read

So I'm at work today (as a cop) and we get yet another call about some guys stealing baby formula from the supermarket. One of the guys is stopped by store security and gives up, the other one bolts. By the way, the freakshow (who is heroined up) has no shoes on and the local temp is about 38 degrees.

I drive into the general area and find the guy walking towards me on the street, still no shoes. I swing my car around to grab him, but he takes off across the front lawn of a mansion that's along the road. I size up the rain gully, decide the Crown Vic can make it, and chase him across the lawn with my car. As we get up to the house, I cut him off with the car and try to dump him over the hood but he catches himself.

I jump out of the car and go to grab him, but he dodges me and starts running off again. I'm about 10 feet away from him when the family dog (a rather large and unfriendly yellow lab) decides to come after me. I dodge the dog and keep on the guy, who by now is about 20 yards ahead of me.

Because we are in the outlying areas of our coverage, my portable radio is transmitting pieces of info to the other guys and girls. Dude (still barefoot!) runs across a small pile of logs and steps through a hole in a 6' wooden fence.

I take a little extra time crossing the logs, because cop luck says I'll fall and break my neck if I do it like he does. As I start to step through the hole in the fence, I see bad guy across the street struggling with a civilian, who is trying to get him to walk back to me. As I step through the hole and onto a piece of split rail fence, the board breaks, I hear a loud "pop" and "crack", fall face first into a bush with 1/2" diameter woody branches and land in the mud.

At this point, all I really know is that my leg hurts real bad, won't seem to work but wants to twitch and convulse to it's own little dance. My radio has flown out of it's holder, but the shoulder mike is still attached to my shirt. I look across the street to see the bad guy and civilian on the ground and rolling around fighting. I start trying to drag myself over to them, but between my leg spasming and the pain, I know I'm not gonna make it. I call out what I can the best I'm able before bad guy gets away.

After a minute or so, my sergeant is able to find me and calls for an ambulance. Another officer finds the guy and "gently" tackles him for me. I get a ride to the hospital, where I am informed (after a test or two) that I have a torn miniscus and I fractured my tibia in two places along the top of the knee, probably from my femur slamming down on top of the tibia.

All in all, a pretty lousy day at work. The vicodin I have for pain is taking the edge off, but I only managed to sleep from about 11 pm to 2 am. I guess I was lonely and disgusted, so I thought I'd share. Thanks for reading.
k9ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

In Russia some cops would have just shot him.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Tommy Allison
Sculptor
Sculptor

This is why the police deserve our respect. Who are you going to call, when you have a cracked out junkie harassing people and stealing baby formula?

The police have the worst job in the world, because they have to deal with the lowest of the low, and the worst of the worst on any given day of the week.

Then again, most of the police I know are probably some of the finest people I know. In fact, I'd say they're better people than I would be if I were given that sort of responsibility.

Like Odin said, some people would have simply shot the guy. I

Good luck, and get healthy.

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
scott
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Get better soon, We need all the good men on the street taking care of the punks out there.
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

I'd have shot him.
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

This is why K-9 untis are good. Dog catches him in 2 seconds and BAM there goes the arm. Cop arrives and game over.

Sorry to hear that a piece of sh*t like that made your day.
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote