Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #811
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
again from the factory its not bad at all, i just wanted to highlight the sculpt a little more. i honestly probably would have left it alone but i follow a lot of painters on instagram and was inspired to try some techniques on this portrait. since hes kind of a grizzly monster i thought it could be fun. all i modified was the face and teeth, any other color variation is due to lighting

C'mon Sonic what exactly did you do?
You took that face from looking like a bad cast job to looking like a prototype!
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #812
SONICobra
Batman

thanks, nothing fancy just some washes and highlights. really i didnt paint much on the face but i primed the teeth for a clean start. the sculpt is there its an awesome piece
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #813
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
thanks, nothing fancy just some washes and highlights. really i didnt paint much on the face but i primed the teeth for a clean start. the sculpt is there its an awesome piece
How do you do "washes" ? I think that brings out a lot of sculpts. Everybody says "washes" but what is it? How do you keep from it being a black blob?

Just look at the 2 pictures. I'm not being negatively critical of the product at all but one is a buy and one is a pass and statues sell on pictures.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #814
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
How do you do "washes" ? I think that brings out a lot of sculpts. Everybody says "washes" but what is it? How do you keep from it being a black blob?
well the wash itself is just paint, either watered down a little or just not very thick depending on how dark you want it

THE TRICK that i have found is after that dries wiping away any excess with rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab. this brings out even more detail from the wash and softens the edge of it too giving it a more natural look. the teeth dont look super awesome in this pic for some reason, looks a little muddy and blurry (maybe glare from the gloss?) but in person they look awesome and its all due to that wash technique
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #815
Nebulhym
The X-Men

Why is there no buzz for this line?

Mumm-Ra came out and it's one of the best statues Sideshow has done.

Maybe i should post pics...
Nebulhym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #816
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulhym View Post

I love Mumm-Ra but really dislike Lion-O. It killed the desire to get this line.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #817
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulhym View Post

I guess because nothing solid is coming to keep interest. I was curious about Cheetara.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:35 PM   #818
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I love Mumm-Ra but really dislike Lion-O. It killed the desire to get this line.
Yup, as much as I love Mumm-Ra, I loathe Lion-O. And that speaks volumes given how impressed I was with Mumm-Ra. They've properly translated Cheetara - based on those cutouts - but a good part of me wonders what's the point of getting Cheetara when the team won't get made?

For this line to have any chance, they need to unveil another character (Tygra or Panthro) in addition to Cheetara - and they can't give him the Lion-O treatment.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #819
TheLastMan
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Yup, as much as I love Mumm-Ra, I loathe Lion-O. And that speaks volumes given how impressed I was with Mumm-Ra. They've properly translated Cheetara - based on those cutouts - but a good part of me wonders what's the point of getting Cheetara when the team won't get made?

For this line to have any chance, they need to unveil another character (Tygra or Panthro) in addition to Cheetara - and they can't give him the Lion-O treatment.
TheLastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #820
Shaughn54
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Any Thundercats line will always start and stop with Lion-O. If Lion-O was a home run like Mumm-Ra, this line would have a ton of hype. It wouldn't matter if the rest of the line was all just OK, this line would succeed and sell well. That is the power of Lion-O for this line.
Shaughn54 is offline   Reply With Quote