Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 01-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #121
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Same here.

Great deal for those on the fence - $309.99 @ Specfiction.

http://www.specfictionshop.com/colle...y-gentle-giant
When pre-orders first go up they have low prices, but I noticed on Derby, they raised her up from $450 to $499.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #122
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Mystery View Post
For a company as Sideshow who often gave a 2nd base it would be awesome to have the option to choose between a envirement base and a museum clear base. I would even pay some bucks more for that option.
Now that my friend, is a great idea!
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #123
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
When pre-orders first go up they have low prices, but I noticed on Derby, they raised her up from $450 to $499.
Yeah I've noticed that too. Maybe that's the incentive to pre-order early. That was far and away the lowest price I saw on Derby so I jumped on it. Might be a case of them realizing they may have priced it too low.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #124
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Pity the BW doesn't come with a switch out base. The thoughts of paying a painter a couple of hundred dollars to makes sense of the existing base (IMO) is the only thing holding me back. Love the figure itself as it covers movie /comic look.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #125
FROBAY
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
This statue needs an unmasked portrait. I just don't care for the helmet and mask design.

Silver accents on the statue needs to be a more subdue metallic gray and the Rogers nametag needs to change color.
I agree with unmasked portrait. A chango head would be fantastic.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #126
sculptguy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
People in the old days sculpted folds and creases in marble just fine. That's why I always thought putting clothes, especially clothes that don't have the detail of real ones on statues, isn't that good if a little lazy.

The reason I like the few Hot Toys that I own is because it's like they are miniature versions of the movie characters. That 1/4 Dark Knight Batman seems like the real thing. So the material doesn't bother me.

On Sideshow's Hughes Lara the material doesn't detract from the statue unlike on the Legends version which I didn't even consider getting. But like I thought originally on the Hughes Lara that fully sculpted would be equal or better. This Gentle Giant Captain America proves that they can get both the sculpted material details and paint at the same high quality level.
I agree about the sculpted folds and creases. In fact Bowen and others sculpt them just fine. My point was that many people were raving about how realistic they were "sculpted", But, if this is a scan of the actual suit of course they're going to look realistic because it is, in essense, a 3-d photograph.And if the actual suit was scanned on an actual person that would take an hour or so to accomplish , whereas a sculpt can take wks to complete, thus my point about it (sculpting) being much harder.
sculptguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 AM   #127
Spec Fiction
Speculative Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Yeah I've noticed that too. Maybe that's the incentive to pre-order early. That was far and away the lowest price I saw on Derby so I jumped on it. Might be a case of them realizing they may have priced it too low.
Hello all, yes that is the incentive, but I am always open to offers etc. I'm just a collector like everyone here. So, if you saw something cheaper before just PM me here or shoot me an email. I'm willing to help out statue forum members whenever possible
Old 01-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #128
Xaerius
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Fiction View Post
Hello all, yes that is the incentive, but I am always open to offers etc. I'm just a collector like everyone here. So, if you saw something cheaper before just PM me here or shoot me an email. I'm willing to help out statue forum members whenever possible
I can also vouch for Spec Fiction. My GG Darth Maul spider statue arrived in great condition this past Summer. He is genuinely a good guy and tends to have excellent pricing to help out those of us who may be hopelessly addicted to this hobby.

Joe :-)
Xaerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #129
Xaerius
The Herculoids

I think the sculpt on this looks amazing, assuming it is actually sculpted...

With regards to the base, I have to admit that I see the base as an important part of the story that a given piece is telling. Look at bases like Moore's "Kull the Conqueror", SSC Conan Rage of the Undying, etc. The base, to me really adds to the powerful presence that a statue portrays. At the same time, if you have a themed display, I can definitely appreciate how clear bases could allow you more display options if setting up your own diorama-like atmosphere.

My concern, with regards to GG, is if they are moving away from using actual sculptors and simply taking digital images or 3D scans that they are printing on their 3D printers to get the forms made. I am not even a big fan of digital "sculpting" (just recieved the Bowen Modern Rogue and was completely unimpressed). Personally, I really love the look and "feel" of real sculpts by talented artists and would hate to see that disappear because scanning and printing may be more cost-effective.
Xaerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #130
bruhaha69
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaerius View Post
Ithink the sculpt on this looks amazing, assuming it is actually sculpted...

My concern, with regards to GG, is if they are moving away from using actual sculptors and simply taking digital images or 3D scans that they are printing on their 3D printers to get the forms made. I am not even a big fan of digital "sculpting" (just recieved the Bowen Modern Rogue and was completely unimpressed). Personally, I really love the look and "feel" of real sculpts by talented artists and would hate to see that disappear because scanning and printing may be more cost-effective.
So if you found out this was a digital sculpt, would the sculpture no longer be amazing or are you just saying it's amazing regardless, but you don't consider a digital creation to be a sculpture?

I have no preference for digital or traditional sculpting as long as the statue is loaded with detail and character. Hell, if you can't tell by looking at it whether it's digital of traditional, I'd say it's pretty damn good.

I've seen some digital sculpts that are as detailed and amazing as any other out there and I've seen some that look like quick and dirty prints (I'm guessing modern rogue falls into that category).

I know I'm not the only gamer here, so was I the only one who loved when they'd have a 3D gallery of the character models in games? I always used to wish those could be made into statues. It didn't matter to me that an artist rendered it on a PC as long as the model was well done and looked interesting.

On this statue, I probably wouldn't get it, but the detail in his costume is pretty nuts.
bruhaha69 is offline   Reply With Quote