Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #21
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I don't really keep up with it, but I've heard it favors LBGT projects the last few years and is kind of politically leaning. Does it hurt someone like Clint Eastwood who is one of the few outspoken Celebs for Conservatives? If so, I can see why the ratings have been dying as it's not objective at that point...
Old 01-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #22
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
I don't really keep up with it, but I've heard it favors LBGT projects the last few years and is kind of politically leaning. Does it hurt someone like Clint Eastwood who is one of the few outspoken Celebs for Conservatives? If so, I can see why the ratings have been dying as it's not objective at that point...
That guy is one of the most-nomimated and most-winning filmmakers ever in Oscar history, so there goes the liberal agenda theory.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #23
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Of course bashing Trump is very approved in Hollywood so it's not very courageous or risky for them, just a way to pad one's resume. Courageous would be if someone went against Hollywood dogma, but whatever. It's supposed to be an industry awards show about the film arts, not a political rant soapbox for the look at me I'm important crowd, so there is another major flaw with it.
So everyone is allowed to talk politics except filmmakers?
Old 01-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #24
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
So everyone is allowed to talk politics except filmmakers?
Nope. CONSERVATIVES are allowed to talk politics because they're "real 'murikkkans". Everyone else should shut their commie mouths...

I still find it funny that entertainers should shut up, yet Reality TV Donnie should be taken seriously...
Old 01-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #25
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
That guy is one of the most-nomimated and most-winning filmmakers ever in Oscar history, so there goes the liberal agenda theory.
Yeah, I just meant the last few years where everything has to be politically correct or you're shunned. I guess I just don't see the point of bringing politics into award shows, it just divides people instead of being about the art.

Not to mention the hypocrisy of many politicians on both sides, I don't trust any of them. Al Gore's big global warming ideals while owning a 55,000 sq ft mansion lol.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #26
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
Yeah, I just meant the last few years where everything has to be politically correct or you're shunned. I guess I just don't see the point of bringing politics into award shows, it just divides people instead of being about the art.
And again, art is commentary about either life or other art. Art will be divisive in some instances precisely because it's supposed to provoke a reaction.

If you only want movies to entertain, you should watch the People's Choice Awards. Btw, Eastwood's last nomination for a People's Choice Award was back in 1999, whereas he was nominated for an Oscar as a producer of American Sniper in 2015.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000142/awards?ref_=nm_awd
Old 01-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #27
Y3E
Gen 13

All award shows are boring...
Old 01-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #28
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
All award shows are boring...
Exactly.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #29
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Did you guys watch the Oscars last year? I did - and the majority of the winners steered clear of political commentary in their acceptances speeches. It was refreshing. I expect more of the same and will be watching. I love the best song nomination performances.

But I'll tell you what annoys me - the female winners speeches. If I hear ONE MORE WOMAN talk about how it was an "honor to be nominated with these amazing women" and "how we should lift each other up"....I'm going to puke.

I just want to shake them and say "You won. It's a competition. Enjoy it! Stop downplaying an amazing accomplishment and turning it into a participation trophy." Standing up, being proud of yourself, and not down playing those hard earned accomplishments goes much father to empower others. It sets an example that as a woman you can enjoy the spotlight and bask in the victory as much as a man. You don't usually hear male winners rambling about his fellow nominees, they go up. Pay a decent amount of respect, and start thanking people.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #30
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The Oscars aka The Anti-Trump rally. I'm not watching no matter who's hosting.
Closed Thread