Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

When to say no?

Hey guys, was hoping to get your input on an issue I've been having.

How do you all decide when to say no, and pass on a piece? When I started this year it was not hard getting myself to hold off on stuff since everything I was getting was old pieces that were only available via eBay and the like, but now that I am following releases and preorders in having issues holding to my budget. The reasoning I keep telling myself is that the amount of money I am losing to intrest is not that much and that it is still 'worth it' in the savings over the second hand market, or that I would never be able to get the piece later.

While some of that might be true and can balance out to some degree I really don't want this whole thing to get away from me and have to sell everything and break it off to get out of trouble.

Thanks everyone for any help/advice/insight.

-Joe
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

While this can vary drastically from person to person, there's a few simple rules and concepts I try to remind myself of constantly.

For instance, I find that working to create a nice, provocative display with recognizable themes is as exciting as collecting the pieces themselves. I like things dynamic, cohesive and artsy. If a new statue or line of statues (well executed or not) compromises that, it's a good indication that I should pass. Last thing I want, or need, is a jumbled mess of pieces strewn about my apartment without any rhyme or reason.

Which brings me to my next point: Understand, and work with the space and budget that you have available. While everyone is entitled to their practices, buying everything you can get your hands on and filling a shelf/room/etc. to the brim with an endless amount of stuff comes off more like hoarding than it does collecting. That, to me, is a reckless, addictive approach to this hobby.. As appealing as everything may seem on a case by case basis, it all loses it's charm when breathing room is sacrificed for quantity. My collection isn't anything substantial, but I keep a list of all pieces and potential future releases that a). I know I can display appropriately should I acquire them, b). that I'm certain I can afford, and c). that stand well enough on their own or compliment what I already have, as well as a list of my different display options/ideas. This keeps me in check for the most part.. with the notable exception being prints. I'm a sucker for prints haha.

Lastly, it's not the end of the world if you don't get around to picking something up. This is perhaps the most important thing to note. Collectibles are a luxury, not a necessity. If you kick yourself too hard for passing on a piece or missing a deal, things start to get considerably less fun which is an issue that speaks for itself. Relax, take a breather, don't let your decisions consume you, know your limits, set your standards and understand that nothing is truly a "must-buy."

Sometimes, it's as simple as kicking back and taking the time to appreciate what you already have. Life's too short to get hung up on a lighthearted hobby like this.
TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Set a budget amount you can afford to spend each month. If there is nothing you want for a given month then accumulate. If you want something that is over your budget then sell something you dont want as much as the new item. Stick to your budget.

If you are buying stuff that is getting you into financial trouble where bills arent getting paid or you are only paying the minimum on credit cards to buy collectibles, then buddy, you have a problem and no advice from tis forum can help you.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Underdog07
Hercules

When you get her into the light? Wait, what was the question?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:39 AM   #5
Makkari1
Cyclops

Unless your name is Bill Gates you'll never be able to afford everything that's out there, stick to your budget and admire the stuff you can't afford. Somethings you'll have to pass on.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote