Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
Horhey
Kindly Asked To Leave

Boba Fett – How We Know He’s Badass

I stumbled on this and thought it would be perfect to use for the opening of a Boba Fett respect thread. Very few exist online. You are free to use any methods necessary, but I want scans from the comics, videos or screenshots from the films if you got them. You can respect Jango Fett here too.

And absolutely no blind man/Sarlacc trolling here please..

I have a very large library of scans from the comics that I will be sharing here later, although I only have one from the Force Unleased II graphic novel and I've been looking for months, so if anyone here has any, this is the place to show them.

Quote:
Boba Fett – How We Know He’s Badass

by The Nerdista

Boba Fett only has a few lines, gestures, and actions in the original Star Wars trilogy, yet has a fanatical and devoted fan base. The Star Wars Expanded Universe made sure we all know Boba Fett is the most successful, feared, and bad-assed bounty hunter to ever exist. But many of us who love Boba Fett, loved him *before* exploring the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Boba had his fans who considered him the ultimate badass long before his character was more fully fleshed. We loved him, and knew he was the biggest badass bounty hunter ever from Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi alone.

How, you ask, do we know?

It’s called context.

Here is the thing about the bounty hunter Boba Fett . . . .

His bad-assery in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are based upon not just what is seen in the movies but what can be inferred, i.e., the necessary backstory that happens off-screen for the few actions seen in the films to be possible.

In Empire Strikes Back, Boba Fett reaches Bespin’s Cloud City before the rebels. His custom designed spacecraft the Slave 1 is fast, for sure, but Boba also knows where to go. Think about what cognitive skills and the intelligence network he must possess to make this happen. Fett flies a physically fast craft, he’s smart and a quick thinker and decision maker, and has an incredible intelligence network.

More importantly than reaching Bespin before the Rebels, he arrives with enough time to make a deal with Darth Vader somewhere along the way. Let me emphasize this part again. Boba Fett has the cojones to approach Darth Vader, a figure who terrifies his own Imperial Officers, and cut a deal. Boba goes to Darth Vader and says, “O hai I want something from you.” He not only has the balls to negotiate with a Sith Lord but apparently the reputation to even get an audience with Lord Vader as well. Also, Fett’s negotiation skills must be nothing short of amazing if after approaching Vader, and being granted an audience with him, Fett is able to successfully convince Vader to just hand Han Solo over. This is nothing short of amazing.

Then comes the famous, “he’s no good to me dead” line. We learn here that not only is Boba Fett only in this for the money but he must have even bigger cojones to openly question Vader’s actions. Amazingly, Boba only gets the crisp response from Vader that he will be compensated by the Empire for his loss. The last guy to openly question Vader got a Force Choke to the neck. Fett must have done something at some time to earn Vader’s respect. That’s impressive.

Boba Fett’s badass reputation is further established with the contextual clues we get from Return of the Jedi. Boba is walking around Jabba’s Palace in his full Mandalorian armor including helmet and jet pack. While others are relaxing, Boba is still wearing every piece of his armor including a jetpack he couldn’t possibly use in such a confined space. The dude never goes off duty. Badass. While walking around in full armor and helmet, he is still a hit with the ladies. Dude has swagger and mad lady-killer skills. You have to give him props.

Then Leia walks in with Chewbacca and dressed in Boushh’s armor. Leia negotiates Jabba the Hutt’s bounty on the Wookie with a thermal detonator setting everyone except Jabba and Boba in a panic. Notice how fast Fett springs to action. He’s in a room of the galaxy’s most vile villainy and scum and he is the least panicky and fastest to his weapon. Badass.

After negotiations are over, Boba Fett gives Leia/Boushh a respectful nod. I love that frikken nod! That nod says, “you threaten to blow everyone up including yourself just for a few extra credits. Respect.” I would be terrified of someone who negotiates with an explosive device. Fett just gives props. Badass.

Boba’s nod also says, “You brought in Chewie, a bounty I was not able to negotiate from Darth Vader.” Presumably Fett asked for Chewbacca from Vader back in ESB; if there were credits to be had, Fett wold have wanted them. He apparently dropped that part of the negotiations in order to secure the more lucrative Han bounty. Fett knows how to negotiate and is smart enough to cut his losses in the aim for a bigger payday. Smart. Also badass.

We can’t forget the look of Boba Fett’s custom Mandalorian armor. While nearly everyone else in the Star Wars original trilogy looks like they’ve never seen a day of combat (ahem Vader and every clean Stormtrooper) Boba Fett’s armor looks like it has been used and used heavily. This is not a man who stands on the sidelines and lets others do the dirty work for him. If after tussling with Boba Fett, his armor is that dirty and damaged, you have to wonder what the *other* guy looks like. We can be sure none of them are around to tell the tale.

Boba Fett also has a jet pack. Need I say more?

In response to the inglorious ‘end’ to our beloved Boba, it was necessary for Fett to be temporarily disposed for the rest of Return of the Jedi to continue. If the Rebels had escaped without taking care of Fett, he would have pursued them and then the whole plot of Return of the Jedi would have changed and we’d never have the big Rebel victory at the end.

So here is the TL;DR – We know Boba Fett is the most awesome bounty hunter in the universe because of simple contextual clues we can glean from Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi that reveal his backstory. Everything else devoted to Boba Fett in the Star Wars Extended Universe is just confirmation of what we Fett lovers have known all along.

Love, The Nerdista

http://www.thenerdista.com/2011/08/b...ow-hes-badass/
Many scans on the way. Please contribute if you can.
Horhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Batwing
Cobra Command

George Lucas seems to have upset, disappointed and alienated many Star Wars fans in recent years.

One way to redeem himself may be if he made a movie centered around Boba Fett's backstory in the spirit and look & feel of the original trilogy.

Batwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwing View Post
George Lucas seems to have upset, disappointed and alienated many Star Wars fans in recent years.

One way to redeem himself may be if he made a movie centered around Boba Fett's backstory in the spirit and look & feel of the original trilogy.
Or he could stop making movies altogether, having proven many times in recent years that his well of creativity is well and truly dried up. Upset, disappointed and alienated doesn't even half explain the feelings brought on by his constant rewriting and "redefining" of the Star Wars trilogy, nor the tripe that began with The Phantom Mess. He has ruined the entire franchise with his "Look what I can do now" attitude and anything else he does even remotely connected to the Star Wars universe can only make it infinitely worse. Going away would be his best contribution to movie making at this point.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKni9hT View Post
Or he could stop making movies altogether, having proven many times in recent years that his well of creativity is well and truly dried up. Upset, disappointed and alienated doesn't even half explain the feelings brought on by his constant rewriting and "redefining" of the Star Wars trilogy, nor the tripe that began with The Phantom Mess. He has ruined the entire franchise with his "Look what I can do now" attitude and anything else he does even remotely connected to the Star Wars universe can only make it infinitely worse. Going away would be his best contribution to movie making at this point.
I want to see a film when FEtt Says "put this in the Cargo Hold"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	george.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	69659  
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Horhey
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwing View Post

A live action TV series that may be titled, "Underworld" is in production and Boba Fett is one of the main characters.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
MrYac
Hercules

ugh, i hate the fett lovers of the world even more then i hate the wolverine can beat anybody people. here is a character made popular by the people who love saying the most obscure character in any given franchise is their favorite so they can look at you with disdain when you say "whos that?" and then everybody else jumped on board with them. sure he looked pretty cool, but thats all he had going for him, but now he's god of the stars

and George being the giant ----- he is jumped right in, yeah sure George we all totally believe that the basis for the entire imperial army was always going to be that background character you gave 2 lines and 4 minutes of screen time too in the original movies, we totally do
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Horhey
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
ugh, i hate the fett lovers of the world even more then i hate the wolverine can beat anybody people. here is a character made popular by the people who love saying the most obscure character in any given franchise is their favorite so they can look at you with disdain when you say "whos that?" and then everybody else jumped on board with them. sure he looked pretty cool, but thats all he had going for him, but now he's god of the stars

and George being the giant ----- he is jumped right in, yeah sure George we all totally believe that the basis for the entire imperial army was always going to be that background character you gave 2 lines and 4 minutes of screen time too in the original movies, we totally do
Read the article in the first post and try to look at it from our perspective. Btw, this is a respect thread, now show some respect.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horhey View Post
Read the article in the first post and try to look at it from our perspective. Btw, this is a respect thread, now show some respect.
i read it, and i see the perspective, but i still hate the culture that latched onto this character so undeservedly. they took a bit player in the movies with no on screen presence and then all of a sudden he's the greatest warrior in the universe able to survive the sarlac and beat vader in a light saber duel.

and can there ever truely be respect without hearing all sides
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Horhey
Kindly Asked To Leave

A very subtle illustration showing what Boba was doing during the "Jedi Purge" after Episode 3..

Old 02-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Horhey
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
beat vader in a light saber duel.

and can there ever truely be respect without hearing all sides
There was no winner. Fett got destracted by Han Solo trying to escape and Vader used force push on him.