Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #61
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I try not to worry too much about what artists are charging. If its out of my comfort zone then there are plenty of other artists to choose from.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #62
bnmauney
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I'd say so ... 8 covers at one show is not something I can ever see myself doing - that is epic!
Lol. Yeah, I *never* would've imagined that I'd pull off something like that. Somehow, the stars just aligned for me that particular weekend.
bnmauney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #63
Wookiee
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Skimmed over this thread and a few comments come to mind.

1) Both artists in my mind are superb and I love the style and I think we can say stylistically they are very similar.

2) Rarity - Mark produces a lot more published work and I dare say does more cons. He regularly puts more work on the market. These can run from more cost effective panel pages, to covers, to commissions, etc. Adam on the other hand is not currently producing a lot of work that is hitting the market place. He and Allison do not hit nearly the number of cons that Mark seems to and he hasn't been doing con commissions of this kind for some time in any volume.

3) Seeing Adam doing commissions at a con will set most collectors after one. If he opens a general list at $3-600 price he will be swamped with requests and will be under heavy pressure at the con to do as many as he can. By pricing at this level he is forced to limit the number of pieces he takes on and the pressure to take on more. He also has to time to put in the care and detail to that piece that you wouldn't see in a $400 piece. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Mark doesn't put the detail in - he clearly does. I'm just saying put the two artists together and see whose table will be consistently swamped all weekend.
'
Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #64
BillC
Hellboy

I can dig AH's work but its not what I collect. I don't see anything wrong with him charging 4K if thats what the market will bear. Obviously it sucks for all his hardcore fans who want something original from him and can't afford it.

For those of you questioning a character like Starfire- keep in mind that for a huge chunk of the 1980's, Perez's work on the NTT was considered pretty much the best of the best. That book was insanely popular, and Starfire was the cheesecake in it. Now the kids reading the book back then currently have the $ to pay for a piece that may be somewhat nostalgic.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:39 AM   #65
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I need an Adam West autograph.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #66
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
3) Seeing Adam doing commissions at a con will set most collectors after one. If he opens a general list at $3-600 price he will be swamped with requests and will be under heavy pressure at the con to do as many as he can. By pricing at this level he is forced to limit the number of pieces he takes on and the pressure to take on more. He also has to time to put in the care and detail to that piece that you wouldn't see in a $400 piece. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Mark doesn't put the detail in - he clearly does. I'm just saying put the two artists together and see whose table will be consistently swamped all weekend.
'
Adam hasn't done commissions at shows like this in many years

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #67
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

If an artist can get away with charging huge amounts and still
get business, why not? More power to them.

Too rich for my blood though, I rarely go above the $300 range, and generally find the 'up and comers' who charge less produce work just as visually pleasing, if not better than the big names.

Everyone has their Holy Grail though. There are 1 or 2 guys I'd drop a big chunk of money without a second thought to get (Art Adams, Dale Keown for me)
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #68
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
I need an Adam West autograph.
I can hook you up for 7 grand
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:44 AM   #69
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
from that thread, its interesting to see the number of people that either dont post in this subforum anymore or have stopped collecting.
Yeah I wonder what happened to some of them.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:50 AM   #70
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

And to think that Adam gave me a freebie sketch! How I wish I had gotten the paid one though
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote