Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 07-31-2015, 11:33 AM   #41
punisher129
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Great piece, congrats!
punisher129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #42
dechirico7
The Flash

Wow, it looks like the proto.
I think I might wait for the smaller versions though.
I just don't have the space for more 1/4 scale pieces.

My one issue with these pieces are the mixed media. I don't think the fabric really does much. It doesn't add to the piece. Same can be said about Daryl and his poncho. They look like tarps and don't drape well on the statues. But, I don't see too many collectors actually using them for display. It is kind of a shame to cover up the sculpt and details.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #43
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Thanks for the rave, everyone. It's pretty fantastic, no doubt. It's a shame this company doesn't get more love from the rest of the collecting community, because the quality they put out is second to none.

dechirico, that's the bonus behind the mixed media of Michonne's cloak and Daryl's poncho...you can leave 'em off. I actually like Michonne's cloak, but with the hoodie down. I like Daryl displayed without his poncho because the angel's wings on the back of his vest is the bees knees. It's funny to me when you say they look like tarps when displayed, because the new Sideshow Doom's cape looks and bounces just like one. The mixed media on GG's pieces actually hang down and drape like real clothing.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #44
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
Thanks for the rave, everyone. It's pretty fantastic, no doubt. It's a shame this company doesn't get more love from the rest of the collecting community, because the quality they put out is second to none.

dechirico, that's the bonus behind the mixed media of Michonne's cloak and Daryl's poncho...you can leave 'em off. I actually like Michonne's cloak, but with the hoodie down. I like Daryl displayed without his poncho because the angel's wings on the back of his vest is the bees knees. It's funny to me when you say they look like tarps when displayed, because the new Sideshow Doom's cape looks and bounces just like one. The mixed media on GG's pieces actually hang down and drape like real clothing.
I don't think it is GG's pieces that are the issue, but their production times. I think it is bad on their part to make people wait years for the Honey Trap girls. But these licensed pieces come out in less than a year. Makes no sense.

Fabric doesn't always work. There are some pieces that look great with fabric, and some that don't. I don't think the Doom PF is bad. It just needs some tweaking to get it to look right. I am sure what lays under the fabric isn't as detailed as these pieces. The polystone underneath probably isn't even painted.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:10 PM   #45
joker1987
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Great piece! Edition size?
joker1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #46
mrichards2002
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker1987 View Post
The Edition Size is 914 on the Michonne.

Thanks,
Mike
mrichards2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #47
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I don't think it is GG's pieces that are the issue, but their production times. I think it is bad on their part to make people wait years for the Honey Trap girls. But these licensed pieces come out in less than a year. Makes no sense.

Fabric doesn't always work. There are some pieces that look great with fabric, and some that don't. I don't think the Doom PF is bad. It just needs some tweaking to get it to look right. I am sure what lays under the fabric isn't as detailed as these pieces. The polystone underneath probably isn't even painted.
It does suck that the HT girls aren't out yet. I thought about getting a few, but I can't because it's just a group of made up chicks playing Mission Impossible. I don't know, I still might reconsider though because I love how brilliant Gentle Giant pieces are. I do like their original concept over SS's CotD...especially since you don't have to gamble on GG's production pieces. They don't screw around.

The only thing I can think of for why their HT line isn't out yet is because it's their own little baby. They can stop and go whenever they want to. They don't have to answer to anyone but themselves. Whereas with The Walking Dead, I have a feeling it's in their contract or the licensor is pushing them to get these out by a certain time frame. So they have to hustle.

I hope to God Gentle Giant never ever goes to a Sideshow mixed media style to where the mixed media isn't optional or can't be removed.

I only say that, because I owned SS's Wolverine and Sabretooth PFs, but once I got my first fully sculpted GG Iron Patriot, my first fully sculpted XM Magneto, and even my first fully sculpted SS Alien Big Chap and Engineer, I realized how inferior mixed media was to me. And then I get Michonne....all that detail in her sculpt is literally hypnotic. An all sculpted piece that's as good as the one's I just mentioned are like sex to the eyes. I never thought I'd be saying that after owning and loving so many mixed media SS pieces, but here I am saying it. Full sculpt is the ----.

It's obvious a few WD pieces have mixed media, but I'm just thankful that GG gives you the option to utilize it or not which is a very good bonus...especially if full sculpt collectors still have a soft spot for mixed media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker1987 View Post
And I'll co-sign on the previous post...ES is 914
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #48
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Great pics. It appears as if she turned out like the proto and GG has another winner on their hands. Really looking forward to mine arriving.

I agree about Daryl too. I like him without his poncho on as it covers up too many fine details like his vest, arms, stock of crossbow etc. Thats the great thing about these. Being able to choose or mix up how you display them rather than being forced to accept a medium you may not be a fan of or deal with material that doesn't work as well as it should.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:58 PM   #49
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

She does look great. I have high expectations for the Daryl and the Wolves statue now.
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:40 AM   #50
Darkhumor
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Congrats AlizAbef!! I got her the same day you did. She is terrific! After waiting nearly two years, She was one of my most anticipated pieces, and I thought my enthusiasm would have waned over waiting that long. But it is not the case. So well worth the wait. So well worth it. She came in at an appropriate time, when I was taking pictures outside, of another statue. She just popped up. Appropriate settings I would say. lol! Now I need some zombies!! This piece rocks so hard. Michonne rocks so HARD!!

Darkhumor is offline   Reply With Quote