Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #1251
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Despicable Me - 6/10

A fun movie, with some laughs.. but seeing commercials for it every five minutes on every station for the last two months somewhat killed the "fun" factor; practically half the movie is seen in it's tv trailers, and I don't even watch tv all that much.

Ten minutes into it I was already thinking I wasted my money and should've watched "Inception" again.

Steve Carrell's a fantastic actor, but his voice doesn't translate well to this character... or the character design doesn't translate well to his voice. Just my opinion. Of the last year's crop of "family-friendly" cgi-animated flicks, this one is probably my least favorite.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #1252
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Hot Tub Time Machine - 7.5/10 I laughed out loud quite a few times. A lot of jokes bombed, but they had enough winners that it was worth my time.

Doomsday - 7/10 I could hammer this movie for a few things, but it was a lot of fun. It was no Road Warrior by a long shot but there was plenty of action.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #1253
patrickwm68
The Flash

The Runaways, 9/10. Dakota Fanning should at least get an oscar nomination for this one.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #1254
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Inception: 2/10

Wow, was I ever bored and annoyed throughout this movie. I would have left before it ended but my wife, also bored and annoyed, wanted to see it through. Zimmer's music was so loud we couldn't make out half the dialogue and the convoluted plot just seemed to be contemplating its own navel. I could follow it, but just found it uninteresting. As a result, all the action just seemed like eye candy as opposed to anything that was part of or advanced the story.

Ugh.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #1255
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Inception: 2/10

Wow, was I ever bored and annoyed throughout this movie. I would have left before it ended but my wife, also bored and annoyed, wanted to see it through. Zimmer's music was so loud we couldn't make out half the dialogue and the convoluted plot just seemed to be contemplating its own navel. I could follow it, but just found it uninteresting. As a result, all the action just seemed like eye candy as opposed to anything that was part of or advanced the story.

Ugh.
You could save yourself a lot of money if you went to the movies most people don't like and don't go the movies most people do like.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #1256
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Zombie Land 9/10
500 Days Of Summer 8/10
Shutter Island 8/10
Inception 8/10
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #1257
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post
Zombie Land 9/10
500 Days Of Summer 8/10
Shutter Island 8/10
Inception 8/10
Just saw it this weekend too... good movie. I'd give it the same. Gordon-Levitt is fast becoming one of my favorite actors.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #1258
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
You could save yourself a lot of money if you went to the movies most people don't like and don't go the movies most people do like.
!
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #1259
AsOneDead
You got red on you

The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin - 4/5
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #1260
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

The last movie I saw:

Inception - Incredible effects, great overall story, but really convoluted. It was hard to keep track of everything going on. 4 stars (out of five)

In the two weeks before that there were:

The Kids Are All Right - Excellent drama about a family that gets turned upside down when the children's sperm donor enters their lives. 4.5 stars

Solitary Man - Great performance by Michael Douglas as an immoral car salesman coping with his own mortality, but I expected a bigger ending. 3.5 stars

Winter's Bone - Teen girl searches for her missing father among unforgiving distant relatives in the backwoods of Missouri to prevent the family house from being taken by the state. Very well done. 4.5 stars

I Am Love (Io sono l'amore) - Italian film about a Russian wife (the stunning Tilda Swinton) in Milan who has an affair after her son's colleague seduces her with his cooking. Absolutely beautiful. 5 stars
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote