Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 06-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #71
AC_808
Hercules

Oh I see. The top edge of the belt is gold.

Aw man, yeah, that needs a touch up. Props to you for tackling the issue first hand.

Other than that, it looks great tho.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:18 PM   #72
pdenham
Teen Titans

It's going to take a little more thought and research than I initially figured, as I don't know if I'm painting over acrylic or enamel.

Also will need to scuff that edge a bit for any new paint to adhere. I may just try to hunt down some nail polish in a close shade and call it a day.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:38 PM   #73
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

pdenham, what is your avatar from...looks like some 70s show that I can't place.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:41 PM   #74
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Finally got mine in from Spec yesterday too.

I'm slightly disappointed to see that he's smaller in scale than the Tweeterhead Poison Ivy. I have her currently displayed in my "1/6 - smaller 1/4 - spot". I probably won't be rotating her out and IM in till fall.

Ivy is likely oversized, but when I was imaging IM in her place I was imaging something with a larger presence.

Not a big deal, I suppose, as it's still the best looking, Layton-inspired Iron Man I'ver seen yet. One big plus is the box is thankfully on the smaller, more compact size.
And hell, it's a great pose and the gloss is off the charts.

Unfortunately that's also going to be an annoyance for me as I got stuck with a sloppy paint app.
Looks like it was painted all over with the gold coat first, then the red, as the gold is peeking through the top rim of the belt on mine. The tonal contrast and angle make it stick out quite a bit.
While the paint match and brush over should be a simple fix, the problem is going to be replicating the gloss. I hope one coat of something like Tamiya gloss over it will be enough to just make it not stick out.

The other pause I have is masking when I go to touch it up. Even with low tack tape, I'm a bit concerned that the residue is going impact the gloss coat. We'll see, I guess.

One other observation- while it doesn't light up, it's nice to see some interesting depth to the interior on the arc reactor. Don't know that you can tell from the pic, but it's a cool, subtle effect with the shiny clear lens over it.

The paint app issue is a bit deflating, but it could have been so much worse. Even a clean break would have been catastrophic because of that gloss coat.
Thankfully it's a huge winner otherwise.
Glad I grabbed it!
Glad to see more people finally getting this in hand but I'm saddened you had to wait all this time for one that has an issue. You're taking it much better than I would be. If you're confident it won't be a problem to fix than go for it but I'd be asking for a replacement, especially since this doesn't seem to be selling out yet.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:25 PM   #75
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
pdenham, what is your avatar from...looks like some 70s show that I can't place.
Looks like Arthur from Barney Miller..TV show in the late 70’s.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:28 PM   #76
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
Glad to see more people finally getting this in hand but I'm saddened you had to wait all this time for one that has an issue. You're taking it much better than I would be. If you're confident it won't be a problem to fix than go for it but I'd be asking for a replacement, especially since this doesn't seem to be selling out yet.
Well I'm not quite 100% confident, but it seems like it should be a pretty straightforward fix.
It's the chemistry that might trip me up. The wrong kind of paint on top of the existing one can cause the original coat to react negatively over time , so I'll need to consult some modelers, and maybe even Koto, first to be sure I'm going about it right.

I've been here 12 years now, and I've seen countless examples of people posting similar QC issues with their pieces. I've often thought to myself "dude, that sucks- but it's also relatively minor. That's not a fix that needs a master painter/repair artist."
Time to take my own medicine.

The thing that makes it glaring is it's high contrast. Any deep, dark shade of red, even close to black, should draw far less attention due to all the heavy shading everywhere else. It won't be, and doesn't need to be, 100% perfect.

As a future project, I'd like to eventually modify that base too. It could use something that's more identifiable as a damaged structure, rather than simply generic broken rocks/ruble.
I'm thinking of something like the column with the Hydra logo that Black Widow is attached to on the new SSC 1/4.

As I exit from actively collecting (which will be very soon), my focus is going to shift to creative things like repairing, repainting, customizing, specialized lighting and display configurations.
That's the kind of stuff that makes this a true hobby to me.
Otherwise, it's just shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Frankie got it! That's my equally insufferable soul brother, Sgt. Dietrich (Steve Landesberg) from Barney Miller.

I realize my posts can be long winded- but it helps if you can read them in his voice.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:58 PM   #77
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Frankie got it! That's my equally insufferable soul brother, Sgt. Dietrich (Steve Landesberg) from Barney Miller.

I realize my posts can be long winded- but it helps if you can read them in his voice.
Haha, thanks
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote