Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 11-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
chrisguyver
Frackin!

need help noob here

Im doing a mini statue about 16" tall but don't want to use scuply until i get to the more detailed parts. what can i use thats easy to work with to bulk the armature with ive got the foil on it bulked the areas that need bulking now i need to put some clay on it and start shapeing it out more but sculply will be to hard to do that with maybe some sort of oven drying clay that soft in the beginning thanks for any help.
chrisguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Leonard
Frackin!

Sculpey is still the stuff to use. If you still have the Sculpey in it's block form it will seem extremely hard. It'll become softer if you work it with your fingers a bit. An alternative is to run it through a pasta machine if you have one.

The benefit of using both is you can work your finger & bicep muscles!
Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Ridimous
Spider-Ham

You should use foil to bulk up the statue and a lot of super glue. I used white sculpey to bulk up the statue but it was too soft when I layered a super sculpey on top. Foil would be easier to work with IMO. I'm a beginner too so you might take it from some other pros here.
Ridimous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
maddmaestro
Death is hereditary.

welcome fellow noob. everything that i've read suggests that you start with the process you have already, most suggest using some form of epoxy as well. my first sculpt which was destroyed unfortunately (damn moving!!) i used propoxy to flesh out the under sculpt it hardens kinda fast but it gives you a decent surface to work on... best of luck.
any hints as to what it is you're sculpting?
maddmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote