Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Kindle... thoughts anyone have one?

OK I am usually the first person who hates anything that changes traditional to digital. I love the feeling of a book in my hand BUT my little town only has walmart for books or I have to order online and ughh thats a pain.. also the kindle I can change the font size and stuff (gettin old eyes are that great lol) and when your reading a book that's like 600+ pages its a pain when reading a paperback that thick lol

so any owners thoughts etc....
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
OK I am usually the first person who hates anything that changes traditional to digital. I love the feeling of a book in my hand BUT my little town only has walmart for books or I have to order online and ughh thats a pain.. also the kindle I can change the font size and stuff (gettin old eyes are that great lol) and when your reading a book that's like 600+ pages its a pain when reading a paperback that thick lol

so any owners thoughts etc....
Lee, honestly, I was sceptical as I hated the thought of reading off a screen as it gives me migranes.

But this technology is amazing. Seeing is believing with this thing, it's like the words are painted on the screen.

See if you can get a demo of it anywhere, or orderone and see for yourself, if you don't like it send it back.

Project Gutenberg has 1000s of free books ready for download too.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

I have owned a Kindle from day 1 and it is one of the greatest devices ever. I use it every day and I love it dearly. It is awesome to walk around with a library in your pocket and to be able to download a book just about anywhere. The e-Ink technology makes the Kindle read just like a book. I have upgraded every time a new Kindle has been released and the K3 is fantastic. Best money I ever spent.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
dr_teng

Ever since I saw my friend's Kindle a few months ago I was sold on it. Got a generation 3 model and it's awesome. I travel a lot so there was no way I was dragging that many books around with me. As a book reading device, it's pretty much perfect, I imagine I'll only upgrade when they come out with a colour one so I can read comics on it properly.

Right now the 3rd Gen 3g Kindle comes with a $25 gift certificate actually. I only have the wifi version.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Kindle's are great, but why not buy an Ipad instead. My wife had a kindle and the one thing she didn't like was the lack of any back light (unless there is a new generation that has one now). She uses her Ipad mostly as an e-reader, but then you have all the other functionality as well
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
The Batfan

went ahead and ordered one just got the wifi as I dont think I will need to download a book while at the grocery store or something lol... already have 4 books to get for it that I have been wanting to read thanks for the info guys
Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Frinky
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I recently bought the Kindle 3 wifi when i started taking the train to work and it just kicks a55.

I have a bunch of games and books on it.

ebook3000.com has a lot of books in pdf format, that can be downloaded into your Kindle.
Frinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:33 AM   #8
The Batfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
Kindle's are great, but why not buy an Ipad instead. My wife had a kindle and the one thing she didn't like was the lack of any back light (unless there is a new generation that has one now). She uses her Ipad mostly as an e-reader, but then you have all the other functionality as well
nope don't like Apple products if I wanted to get a tablet PC I would get a Android based one.. but I am just looking to use it to read with not surf etc
Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
dr_teng

Quote:
iPad is significantly more expensive, the battery life is nowhere near as good, and eInk is significantly easier on the eyes than the iPad screen as well as being great to read during the day.

If you're just reading, the Kindle is far superior. If you're doing a variety of things, yeah, iPad is a good idea.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
I have the iPad and the Kindle and both are great but the iPad is no e-reader and doesn't hold a candle to the Kindle in that department. I have purchased several books through the iBook store and have found that I read them on the iPad for a very short while and then have to put them down. The whole idea behind the Kindle is to duplicate the reading experience. With the eInk technology it succeeds brilliantly. Try reading your iPad outside in bright sunshine or at the beach. I don't know of any books that have backlights built in. The Kindle has a really neat cover with a light built in for those situations where the ambient lighting is not adequate. There are also other lighting options available.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote