Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 06-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #31
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I'm sorry, I simply don't understand how you think the Queen of the Vampires sculpt and pose is so incredibly fitting of the character, when it looks like it was lifted directly from the pose of Cleopatra.

To me, it simply looks like they are trying to save time and money by re-using Cleopatra's sculpt and pose and adding Pocahontas' hair.
Firstly, I don't have Cleopatra and nor was I ever planning on buying her (even though I felt she was nicely done). Secondly, Alex P. sculpted this QoV from the ground up, and yes although the poses are similar (walking down the steps), what difference does it make when I don't own Cleopatra or Pocahantas (hair comment). In fact, QoV will be the only female (or male for that matter) that is walking down steps. It will be totally unique from every other statue that I own. So how can anyone begrudge me that? You can't.

Secondly, QoV is not the only statue by any company (SS, Bowen, etc.) to have a similar pose as to one of their statues from a previous time. Whats funny is, that is the only other statue that has similarities by ARH in 1/4. You guys make it seem like every statue they have done has been like Cleopatra. If you go down the line of statues by ARH, they are actually quite diverse.

1)Leonidas
2)Medusa
3)Athena
4)Cleopatra
5)Pocahantas
6)Spartacus
7)The Barbarian
8)Queen of Vampires
9)Valkyrie
10)Thor

Pretty diverse. Since I don't own nor ever will own 4 and 5, what difference does the pose of QoV matter? It doesn't. Now Angel of Death will be shown soon according to ARH site. If it is the same pose and look as one of the others, I'll start asking for more diversity. Apparently, Ares (which I have never seen anything of) and Poseidon (which is a unique pose from anything else they have done) are in the pipeline too.

As far as how I think the pose of QoV is fitting== the wardrobe, the setting of the staircase with the candles, the sultryness of her body (full and not skinny), and her gaze. Now everyone or most will not agree with my assessment and that's fine, I don't expect anyone to. But to me, I can see this. And what's more, I don't care about her being topless. In fact, I will display her with her top on most of the time. None of my statues in my possession so far are nude.

Also, now that they have confirmed using high quality styrofoam starting with Barbarian, not to mention selling out on basically everything they make 1/4 wise, I see them getting better. Only time will tell though.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #32
Crossbonez74
I am da law!

For my part I just want to see ARH finish a line. There all over the place with projects they dont finish which is their biggest Achilles heel. IMO they should finish the greek themed statues to include the gods of Olympus. Finish a set of statues then go to the next set. It seems the greek themed statues would go well with their flaghip piece Medusa so it is logical to start there. Finish the line before collectors lose interest in the line all together (remember Hard Hero?) Anyways as for the the barbarian statue he looks good but IMO a little too reminiscent of Conan. I imagine collectors might be more inclined to pick up a Conan statue from SS rather than a generic one. Just my two cents...
Crossbonez74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #33
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbonez74 View Post
For my part I just want to see ARH finish a line. There all over the place with projects they dont finish which is their biggest Achilles heel. IMO they should finish the greek themed statues to include the gods of Olympus. Finish a set of statues then go to the next set. It seems the greek themed statues would go well with their flaghip piece Medusa so it is logical to start there. Finish the line before collectors lose interest in the line all together (remember Hard Hero?) Anyways as for the the barbarian statue he looks good but IMO a little too reminiscent of Conan. I imagine collectors might be more inclined to pick up a Conan statue from SS rather than a generic one. Just my two cents...
Don't remind me. It makes me sad all over again.

Btw, I didn't know ARH had a specific line of statues like other companies. SS upsets me much because they do that often. I was always under the impression that ARH just does Fantasy/Mythological statues according to their website.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #34
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I'd rather save up and get the Moore Conan The Conqueror or Conan the Barbarian. They are both classic statues that have excellent sculpts and paint jobs. This looks flat imo. It doesn't look like there is even any detail/paint added to his face. I still think it is a solid piece, but it just doesn't look finished to me. I am conflicted on the shadowing of his skin too. I like it, but I also think it looks kind of amateurish.

I really wish ARH would release Ares, that was an incredible piece. Hopefully his paint will be more like Thor or Leonidas. Those two pieces came out great.
I agree, - the shadowing is imo, one of the least impressive things about the way this statue was done. I also think the main idea, to have skulls everywhere, stacked on the spear, hanging in his hand, all over the ground, just seems gimmicky to me, it cheapens it in some way. I get the anime' approach but think it could have been better executed. Less skulls would have made a more interesting statue. This statue is too heavy visually.

Why is his sword so simple looking? I'd have liked to see a more interesting sword with a longer hilt, maybe a bit larger blade, larger sword overall in size. Look at the hilt of the weapon in his belt, then look at the sword he is holding. What happened?

I'm not trying to be a prick here, but let's just say it, the skulls, every single one, not one of these men ever lost a tooth in his adult life? And none of them have any cracks or holes in the skulls. He presumably killed all these guys and not one of them has any actual sign of damage in their head. And here's the clincher, even the skulls on the spear show no signs of damage, no cracking where the spear is going through them. How did they get on the spear in such perfect condition????

If i ever did get this, I'd customize it like crazy.

I watched the video on this, and Arahom states that initially it was planned with just a rock base, then he got the idea for the skulls in the left hand, then he added the spear and then he went wild with the skulls in the base. (I think that is the order he gave) I think he should have just left the skulls hanging and on the spear. The idea to have a bunch of skulls tied up in a sort of "bag" of skulls I think is great.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #35
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
Simple answer to their problems.

http://youtu.be/wSReSGe200A
that is really funny

I like how they sound so Beach Boyish.

This statue's response would be "rub some skulls on it"
Old 06-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #36
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Don't remind me. It makes me sad all over again.

Btw, I didn't know ARH had a specific line of statues like other companies. SS upsets me much because they do that often. I was always under the impression that ARH just does Fantasy/Mythological statues according to their website.
don't be sad.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #37
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
I agree, - the shadowing is imo, one of the least impressive things about the way this statue was done. I also think the main idea, to have skulls everywhere, stacked on the spear, hanging in his hand, all over the ground, just seems gimmicky to me, it cheapens it in some way. I get the anime' approach but think it could have been better executed. Less skulls would have made a more interesting statue. This statue is too heavy visually.

Why is his sword so simple looking? I'd have liked to see a more interesting sword with a longer hilt, maybe a bit larger blade, larger sword overall in size. Look at the hilt of the weapon in his belt, then look at the sword he is holding. What happened?

I'm not trying to be a prick here, but let's just say it, the skulls, every single one, not one of these men ever lost a tooth in his adult life? And none of them have any cracks or holes in the skulls. He presumably killed all these guys and not one of them has any actual sign of damage in their head. And here's the clincher, even the skulls on the spear show no signs of damage, no cracking where the spear is going through them. How did they get on the spear in such perfect condition????

If i ever did get this, I'd customize it like crazy.

I watched the video on this, and Arahom states that initially it was planned with just a rock base, then he got the idea for the skulls in the left hand, then he added the spear and then he went wild with the skulls in the base. (I think that is the order he gave) I think he should have just left the skulls hanging and on the spear. The idea to have a bunch of skulls tied up in a sort of "bag" of skulls I think is great.

I think ARH disagrees
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #38
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
that is really funny

I like how they sound so Beach Boyish.

This statue's response would be "rub some skulls on it"
Ex comes with a pack of BACON!
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #39
spawngod1
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Firstly, I don't have Cleopatra and nor was I ever planning on buying her (even though I felt she was nicely done). Secondly, Alex P. sculpted this QoV from the ground up, and yes although the poses are similar (walking down the steps), what difference does it make when I don't own Cleopatra or Pocahantas (hair comment). In fact, QoV will be the only female (or male for that matter) that is walking down steps. It will be totally unique from every other statue that I own. So how can anyone begrudge me that? You can't.

Secondly, QoV is not the only statue by any company (SS, Bowen, etc.) to have a similar pose as to one of their statues from a previous time. Whats funny is, that is the only other statue that has similarities by ARH in 1/4. You guys make it seem like every statue they have done has been like Cleopatra. If you go down the line of statues by ARH, they are actually quite diverse.

1)Leonidas
2)Medusa
3)Athena
4)Cleopatra
5)Pocahantas
6)Spartacus
7)The Barbarian
8)Queen of Vampires
9)Valkyrie
10)Thor

Pretty diverse. Since I don't own nor ever will own 4 and 5, what difference does the pose of QoV matter? It doesn't. Now Angel of Death will be shown soon according to ARH site. If it is the same pose and look as one of the others, I'll start asking for more diversity. Apparently, Ares (which I have never seen anything of) and Poseidon (which is a unique pose from anything else they have done) are in the pipeline too.

As far as how I think the pose of QoV is fitting== the wardrobe, the setting of the staircase with the candles, the sultryness of her body (full and not skinny), and her gaze. Now everyone or most will not agree with my assessment and that's fine, I don't expect anyone to. But to me, I can see this. And what's more, I don't care about her being topless. In fact, I will display her with her top on most of the time. None of my statues in my possession so far are nude.

Also, now that they have confirmed using high quality styrofoam starting with Barbarian, not to mention selling out on basically everything they make 1/4 wise, I see them getting better. Only time will tell though.
Working for ARH?
spawngod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #40
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post

I think ARH disagrees
new Disney movie?

You're one funny guy Ryu. lol