Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Batman: SuperFriends Arc

I wasn’t really into Tom King’s outing on Batman. Just really didn’t do anything for me so I stopped buying it after the first few issues. Then, based on strong reviews, I picked up Batman Annual #2 and absolutely loved it. Then, again based on strong reviews, I picked up Batman #36.

Wow. I believe this is an arc that will run for several issues and “team” Batman up with other big DC characters. This issue has a great parallel story of Batman/Catwoman and Superman/Lois, with a wonderful dynamic between Batman and Superman played out between these characters, with the help of Lois and Selina, before they even meet up at the end.

Added fun bonus is that the arc’s title “SuperFriends,” I believe, uses the same logo as the decades-old cartoon.

Highly recommended.

Last edited by wktf; 12-09-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Edited title so “SuperFriends” is one word.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I was t really into Tom King’s outing on Batman. Just really didn’t do anything for me so I stopped buying it after the first few issues. Then, based on strong reviews, I picked up Batman Annual #2 and absolutely loved it. Then, again based on strong reviews, I picked up Batman #36.

Wow. I believe this is an arc that will run for several issues and “team” Batman up with other big DC characters. This issue has a great parallel story of Batman/Catwoman and Superman/Lois, with a wonderful dynamic between Batman and Superman played out between these characters, with the help of Lois and Selina, before they even meet up at the end.

Added fun bonus is that the arc’s title “SuperFriends,” I believe, uses the same logo as the decades-old cartoon.

Highly recommended.
Batman #36 is my favorite issue of King's run. It's had its ups and downs during the run but this story was perfectly executed.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

Have been searching for a #2 Annual, but no luck so far. I too dropped King's Batman like a ton of bricks early into the run. I haven't picked up any Batman since.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Have been searching for a #2 Annual, but no luck so far. I too dropped King's Batman like a ton of bricks early into the run. I haven't picked up any Batman since.
Jerry, I hadn’t either until Batman Annual #2 and I really loved it. Based on its strength I picked up Batman #36 and loved that, too.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I was thinking about trying a trade of King’s run. What did you guys dislike about it? Is he focusing more on the sexual relationships between the heroes like the Live action tv stuff? Is there some issue where Mad hatter takes the Man bat serum or something?
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardjones View Post
I was thinking about trying a trade of King’s run. What did you guys dislike about it? Is he focusing more on the sexual relationships between the heroes like the Live action tv stuff? Is there some issue where Mad hatter takes the Man bat serum or something?
It's just some of the writing is very flat at times, and it almost feels like you have to make an effort to read it instead of enjoying reading it. Also some of the dialogue is just repetative and some if it just doesn't fit..

With all that said there are parts of the run that are very good.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
It's just some of the writing is very flat at times, and it almost feels like you have to make an effort to read it instead of enjoying reading it. Also some of the dialogue is just repetative and some if it just doesn't fit..

With all that said there are parts of the run that are very good.
Ah, I will wait for a sale again to grab Volume 1.
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

Yeah, Josh-a-tron pretty much hit the nail on the head w/ King's Batman for me. I was still coming off the high of his unbelievably great Vison year-long over at Marvel & maybe was just a bit too amped up to get what I got w/ his Batman. Gone are the days I can ride a writer out for the long haul to see if she/he improves. Comic's just too damn much $ now.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:15 AM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

A really solid write up of King’s Batman work, some spoilers for Batman Annual #2 and SuperFriends, from a respected comic book critic and lifelong Batman fan.

https://13thdimension.com/tom-king-i...-for-the-ages/
Old 12-12-2017, 03:06 AM   #10
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

All the good things that i hear about King's run lately really make me happy. I don't want to spoil anything so i didn't read the review. I knew that King is capable of a strong run.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote