Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 08-09-2021, 09:31 PM   #2391
f1d
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILE GUILE View Post
Hey buddy, instead of requesting extra off the wall thing's like this, you should be driving home the importance of a really nice paint job instead. (everyone) I rather have them concentrate their efforts now going forth on achieving a realistic movie accurate paint job, on the flesh particularly. (wet look, spots etc.) That's what will make this Pred statue be a must have grail and really shine.

All the extra bells & whistles that aren't important at this point in time in production, will only reduce the paint job hours & expenses that are imperative. A lot of the extra swap outs are really not even too necessary anyways. Trust me...
I don't think such a small piece would be a detriment to production and paint quality; it seems simple and there are no wires or electronics for lights, just an extra little piece of polystone or plastic or whatever it would be made of - of course I do not work in the industry so I don't know. Also, it is not really coming out of left field or anything as I have already mentioned why the damaged gauntlet is important to me and the story/plot since it is the reason the Predator revealed himself in the first place because if it worked he would have continued to fight Dutch (Arnold) while camouflaged and so Dutch would not have had the upper hand (flipping the script since Dutch was camouflaged with mud). It would have been two camouflaged entities fighting each other - weird.

I do agree that if they do not excel with the paint apps (and really achieve that film accuracy), then all the extra swaps and bonus stuff is pretty much worthless. That is definitely important. Also, yeah I may be falling into that trap of asking "oh just one more thing - please?" It does need to stop at some point, similar to a director telling an editor or producer - "wait just one little thing" - like nah - we gotta stay on budget and we have deadlines to keep - so I get it.

So, I'll say this, I do plan on emailing them after the Obon Holidays - they will probably say no which is fine. And believe me, if it was between an incredible paint app and this little extra piece of a damaged gauntlet, I would take the paint app any day - truly - but it may not have to be that way, maybe we can have both. Also, if they do it, which they probably won't, and it turned out that the extra time devoted to painting this piece resulted in lackluster paint apps as a whole (missed wet effect here - misaligned paint on head there), I would regret asking and probably live out the rest of my days in shame lol. It really would suck though. Anyway, I have a feeling this piece will be incredible and that production will go smoothly, and I just can't wait to have this in my home.

Thank you all for your input and honest reactions to this by the way.
f1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:34 PM   #2392
f1d
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Demon View Post
Nothing yet. They didn't ever released any promo prototype pics
I think we may not get any updates until after the Obon Holidays - I think their website says their offices are closed.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:35 PM   #2393
Biggunz
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Demon View Post
Nothing yet. They didn't ever released any promo prototype pics
Oh... would of figured since it’s been on sideshow for a week now if they were going to do some discount on the bust for prime 1 direct buyers now would be the time to push more sales to them direct.
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:14 AM   #2394
Collectorcol
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1d View Post
Also, it is not really coming out of left field or anything as I have already mentioned why the damaged gauntlet is important to me and the story/plot since it is the reason the Predator revealed himself in the first place because if it worked he would have continued to fight Dutch (Arnold) while camouflaged and so Dutch would not have had the upper hand (flipping the script since Dutch was camouflaged with mud). It would have been two camouflaged entities fighting each other - weird.
Predator still had plenty of weaponry available when he fought Dutch. He's a hunter who wanted the face to face challenge.
Collectorcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:51 AM   #2395
f1d
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorcol View Post
Predator still had plenty of weaponry available when he fought Dutch. He's a hunter who wanted the face to face challenge.
Yeah that's true - the wrist blades and a fully functional plasma cannon. I think the story unfolds in the way it does because he can't camouflage though and I interpret the scene a little differently.

I interpret that final faceoff as the Predator's way of saying "I can't believe this puny guy who I can lift with one hand is getting the better of me" (obviously not a real quote, just my thought on, I guess, a sort of internal monologue the Predator has). So I see this scene as the Predator's desire to humiliate Dutch - I mean he ragdolls him, it is not a challenge at all - it's like Mike Tyson vs me (I've never been in a fight in my entire life) - he just wants to punish him it seems like - a plasma canon shot to the dome is too easy for him. And I do think he (Dutch) still is a prize to the Predator because he was able to survive for so long.

Of course my interpretations of the movie and the scene has changed over time. I used to think it was the face to face challenge - I just see it a different way now and it may change again in the future. That's what makes films and art so great in my opinion, it's the same exact movie and yet I see things differently than I used to.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:27 AM   #2396
Collectorcol
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Exactly, blasting or slicing Dutch in a faceoff would be too easy. Predators like the 'sport', it's what they train for.
Collectorcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:41 AM   #2397
f1d
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorcol View Post
Exactly, blasting or slicing Dutch in a faceoff would be too easy. Predators like the 'sport', it's what they train for.
Well, when I said "too easy," I didn't mean too easy for the Predator. I mean too easy for Dutch - like torture vs a quick death for example (I do see what you are saying though). Indeed, I like the word you use here - 'sport.' I think yeah you right - this might sound weird, but it's like a bass fisherman using live bait vs artificial stuff. Using artificial lures is considered more 'sporty.' Perhaps...yeah...same concept here - like giving him a sporting chance.

Of course this still does not change the fact that the damaged gauntlet is important otherwise it would not have been featured in the film at all. In storytelling (and films), things have purpose and happen for a reason whether it is to set a mood, advance the plot or change a character. Sorry if this message ends up being long - just want to clarify why it unfolds the way it does (to try and support my claim).

Stories and films are at the basic level made of setups and payoffs - cause and effect. If something is not setup, it can come off as jarring to an audience. For instance, had we not seen Dutch setting traps, we the audience would have been like "wait, what, where did that come from" when the log falls on the Predator's head. Now some filmmakers (great ones) can toy and experiment with this convention. Christopher Nolan for example did the opposite in 'Memento' - he showed us the end of the movie in the beginning - the first half of the film is a series of payoffs to which we see the setups later (brilliant!) and it works and only good filmmakers can pull something like this off. Even in Tenet, the Protagonist, when catching an inverted bullet says, "but cause comes before effect" to which the Dr. replies "No, that's just the way we see time" - he is literally telling us that he is going to mess with storytelling conventions.

Anyway, In Predator, it is pretty conventional. It is setup for example that there might be some shady dealings going on when Dillon says he's joining Dutch on the rescue mission - right, Dutch looks at him suspiciously and says "General, my team always works alone, you know that." The payoff comes much later when it is revealed, yeah, it wasn't a rescue mission at all - they were just used as assassins and to dig up some dirt and Dillon used them.

The setup for the wrist gauntlet is that it controls the Predator's camouflaging ability - when he emerges out of the water. Now, I'll just go from when the scene and climax begins but the whole movie can be broken down into a series of cause and effect (setups and payoffs). Because Dutch yells the most glorious of yells, the Predator goes after him. Because the Predator is unable to see him (since it was setup earlier that mud camouflages a person from a Predator), the Predator goes right past him and approaches near the raging fire below. Because Dutch shoots at those explosives, the wrist gauntlet controlling camouflage gets damaged (to which we get a close up - basically the filmmaker, John McTiernan, saying pay attention, this is important - and because it is damaged, the tables have turned and Dutch is playing the Predator's game since he can see the Predator but the Predator cannot see him since he (Dutch) is camouflaged and now the Predator is shooting wildly and blindly just like Mac earlier in the movie when he uses the mini-gun (old-painless). There is of course more, but I'll stop here.

It really seems the Predator would have killed him if he had the chance - he approached with his camouflage on, he was not planning on a face to face with him. This face to face only happened because of the events that transpired earlier - such as the gauntlet getting damaged.

I'm really just trying to focus here, this is all I am saying - it is important. If it wasn't, the filmmakers and studio would not have wasted time, money, film, and effort on showing a damaged gauntlet.

Having said all this, again, I do like the "sport" aspect. That does sound good and it makes sense, but it would not have happened without the gauntlet getting damaged which created a cascade of cause and effect events to make it so.

Apologies again for the length.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:37 AM   #2398
Halcyon
New Republic

I just paid my NRD for the 1:3 DXS bonus version.
Hopefully don't have to wait years and years.

And just got confirmation my 1:4 CoverArt will arrive end of this month.

The container with 1:4 City Hunter is lost in Limbo/storm and that is why europe has to wait till November for that one. Maybe prime has to redo that batch.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #2399
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I just paid my NRD for the 1:3 DXS bonus version.
Hopefully don't have to wait years and years.

And just got confirmation my 1:4 CoverArt will arrive end of this month.

The container with 1:4 City Hunter is lost in Limbo/storm and that is why europe has to wait till November for that one. Maybe prime has to redo that batch.
good work!

is that true, about the City Hunter?

if that's the case maybe i'll get in my order of the City Hunter Wall Art soon if the batch needs to be replaced.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #2400
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1d View Post
Yeah that's true - the wrist blades and a fully functional plasma cannon. I think the story unfolds in the way it does because he can't camouflage though and I interpret the scene a little differently.

I interpret that final faceoff as the Predator's way of saying "I can't believe this puny guy who I can lift with one hand is getting the better of me" (obviously not a real quote, just my thought on, I guess, a sort of internal monologue the Predator has). So I see this scene as the Predator's desire to humiliate Dutch - I mean he ragdolls him, it is not a challenge at all - it's like Mike Tyson vs me (I've never been in a fight in my entire life) - he just wants to punish him it seems like - a plasma canon shot to the dome is too easy for him. And I do think he (Dutch) still is a prize to the Predator because he was able to survive for so long.

Of course my interpretations of the movie and the scene has changed over time. I used to think it was the face to face challenge - I just see it a different way now and it may change again in the future. That's what makes films and art so great in my opinion, it's the same exact movie and yet I see things differently than I used to.
Welcome to the forum!
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote