Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 11-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #2771
CoJe
Frackin!

The problem with the 1/4 was that Prime 1 wanted to market it as a Jungle Hunter statue under the Big Game license. This was their attempt at making a Jungle Hunter before they got the actual Predator 1987 license for the 1/3rd. This is also why the 1/4 mask has actual damage on it just like the cover art had with the cracks instead of just decals. Then they tried to be lazy and scale up the inaccurate mask for the 1/3 but then collectors gave backlash and now we are getting the accurate mask.
CoJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:35 PM   #2772
Blade3327
Nightwing

I would definitely use the closed-mouth portrait in my rotation, looks great in that video IMO.

The semi-open is what I'm conflicted on. I greatly appreciate that it was made because we never see the wide-open pose (popularized by the SWS lobby statue) in the film. But there's something off about it and it's not the lack of a squinty eye (although adding that would improve the likeness ). I can't tell if it's the brows or the eyes themselves, but it looks goofy from the front view:

Yet from angles like this, it's excellent:

Film mask for reference:

I'll have to see what that one looks like in-hand before I decide if I want to sell it together with the Gort portrait. Selling those and the torso portion of the bust would help justify a closed-mouth purchase, but doable or not, Prime 1's actions have definitely soured the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoJe View Post
I really do not think they are going to screw up the paint, because a good portion of the statue community would abandon them.
I wish I could believe this, but DC is like 2/3 of their output and that's a hotter property by far. I don't see it being a problem for customers who only care about Batman and Transformers, especially when they typically do great work with those.

Thankfully, the deposit for this is relatively cheap. You could put down $90 for now and if it turns out to be crap, walk away from the remaining $810.
Blade3327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:48 PM   #2773
VILE GUILE
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I'm still baffled why they made his bottom teeth curving inward, instead of being pointed straight up for accuracy. That always bugged me, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Just don't understand what the artist's were thinking?
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:59 PM   #2774
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Demon View Post
That's money shot : Insanely good sculpture
no argument here. It's fantastic.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #2775
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post

Prime 1's actions have definitely soured the idea.

they soured me on this bust, due to their greed.

and when i look at the Semi-Closed head on other pics, i'm thinking i won't miss the closed mouth head. The semi-head in certain shots looks to be the very best head.

it has the nasty personality of the closed mouth while retaining the pronounced larger profile of the roaring mouth.

The closed mouth is damn good tho, just not for an additional $1000.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:05 PM   #2776
Jungle Demon
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
I would definitely use the closed-mouth portrait in my rotation, looks great in that video IMO.

The semi-open is what I'm conflicted on. I greatly appreciate that it was made because we never see the wide-open pose (popularized by the SWS lobby statue) in the film. But there's something off about it and it's not the lack of a squinty eye (although adding that would improve the likeness ). I can't tell if it's the brows or the eyes themselves, but it looks goofy from the front view:

Film mask for reference:

I'll have to see what that one looks like in-hand before I decide if I want to sell it together with the Gort portrait. Selling those and the torso portion of the bust would help justify a closed-mouth purchase, but doable or not, Prime 1's actions have definitely soured the idea.

I wish I could believe this, but DC is like 2/3 of their output and that's a hotter property by far. I don't see it being a problem for customers who only care about Batman and Transformers, especially when they typically do great work with those.

Thankfully, the deposit for this is relatively cheap. You could put down $90 for now and if it turns out to be crap, walk away from the remaining $810.
Wonky eyes open mouth :
Jungle Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:21 PM   #2777
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Demon View Post
Wonky eyes open mouth :
Hmm. Maybe a little more eye exposed, like halfway between your edit and the original. Think that could be it...

EDIT: I just realized you made your edit by replacing both eyes and brows with the ones from the closed-mouth sculpt. Guess that's why it looks better overall.

I'll admit it's cool that these are all completely separate sculpts, though. It's not like they started with a base head and changed only the mandibles and brow shapes.
Blade3327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:21 PM   #2778
Jungle Demon
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERSAFARA View Post
Someone forgot to take off the removable shoulder cannon for the promo shots as the Predator had already shedded the gear when it made this expression.
Jungle Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:25 PM   #2779
Bottled_Water
Birdman

I always thought the semi open portrait was the best fit for the pose they went with.

And oddly enough the wonky eye of the closed mouth portrait is growing on me, especially after seeing Jungle Demon's edit where he corrected it. Not that it matters much seeing as how expensive it is.
Bottled_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:12 AM   #2780
Dundee
Hydra

The DX version ES numbers now says TBA. Previously I thought the DXS ES of 999 includes the DX. But it looks like there separate with their own ES. There's going to be a gazillion of these made, they better bring their A+ game
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote