Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
snappahead
Producer
Producer

I need some good reading recommendations

Hey folks. Been in the mood to read comics lately, but I'm totally out of the loop. I haven't been a regular reader for...uh..what decade is it now? I like horror more than anything, but don't know if there's anything out there besides Walking Dead. I like superheroes too, but feel a little burned out on them. I'd still be happy for recommendations though.

The last stuff I remember enjoying was WD (natch) and anything by Ed Brubaker (Especially Sleeper and Criminal). I loved Preacher and some of the other books by Ennis. I'm looking into their prospective works right now, but could use some help on anything else regardless of genre.

Thanks in advance!
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Hey folks. Been in the mood to read comics lately, but I'm totally out of the loop. I haven't been a regular reader for...uh..what decade is it now? I like horror more than anything, but don't know if there's anything out there besides Walking Dead. I like superheroes too, but feel a little burned out on them. I'd still be happy for recommendations though.

The last stuff I remember enjoying was WD (natch) and anything by Ed Brubaker (Especially Sleeper and Criminal). I loved Preacher and some of the other books by Ennis. I'm looking into their prospective works right now, but could use some help on anything else regardless of genre.

Thanks in advance!
Read The Blackest Night from DC. Great super-heroes with a nice amount of horror thrown in for good measure. Also check out Fatale by Brubaker another good read. Image publishes that book.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Hey there,

Severed is a "horror" book I read recently and enjoyed, good little story and not horror in the gory sense, but more creepy.

I'm a big WD fan too and really enjoy some of Kirkman's other books, Invincible is one that's been around a while and is a familiar yet refreshing look at superheroes. Thief of Thieves is a newer title from Kirkman that I think you'll enjoy if you like books like Criminal, this book reads like a movie, really enjoying it! Speaking of Criminal, Fatale is Brubaker's latest book and it's a supernatural noir which is pretty good.

You also mentioned liking Preacher, have you read The Boys? Typical Ennis fare, violent, gory and twisted superhero book, definitely not your typical take on supes.

Another book I read and enjoyed was the Luna Brothers The Sword, don't hear much about it, but people I know who've read it have all enjoyed it.

Umbrella Academy is a great book also, and one I usually recommend. It's like Wes Anderson meets The X-Men, fun book.

Last but not least is Y:The Last Man which has been out and over for a while, but if you've never read it it's a good book.

Have fun!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
Read The Blackest Night from DC. Great super-heroes with a nice amount of horror thrown in for good measure. Also check out Fatale by Brubaker another good read. Image publishes that book.
Isn't Blackest Night a huge crossover event thing? Is it something I can just pick up in trade?

Hadn't heard of Fatale. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Hey there,

Severed is a "horror" book I read recently and enjoyed, good little story and not horror in the gory sense, but more creepy.

I'm a big WD fan too and really enjoy some of Kirkman's other books, Invincible is one that's been around a while and is a familiar yet refreshing look at superheroes. Thief of Thieves is a newer title from Kirkman that I think you'll enjoy if you like books like Criminal, this book reads like a movie, really enjoying it! Speaking of Criminal, Fatale is Brubaker's latest book and it's a supernatural noir which is pretty good.

You also mentioned liking Preacher, have you read The Boys? Typical Ennis fare, violent, gory and twisted superhero book, definitely not your typical take on supes.

Another book I read and enjoyed was the Luna Brothers The Sword, don't hear much about it, but people I know who've read it have all enjoyed it.

Umbrella Academy is a great book also, and one I usually recommend. It's like Wes Anderson meets The X-Men, fun book.

Last but not least is Y:The Last Man which has been out and over for a while, but if you've never read it it's a good book.

Have fun!
Thanks for the thougts. I already have some Invincible books on the way.

Yeah, I liked the Boys alot and I'm looking into picking those up now.

The Sword is new to me. I'll look into it.

Is Umbrella Academy from one of the big two? I dont know it, but that's not surprising hehe. I'll give it a look.

I actually read a lot of Y and really enjoyed it. Thanks for reminding me about that one.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Marvelito

Well, for being out of the loop you're pretty up to date.

Umbrella Academy is a Dark Horse book, that might be why you've not heard of it.

I'm not sure how you read your books, but I think everything I mentioned is out in trade, except for Fatale and Thief of Thieves, but those are coming out very soon I believe.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Well, for being out of the loop you're pretty up to date.

Umbrella Academy is a Dark Horse book, that might be why you've not heard of it.

I'm not sure how you read your books, but I think everything I mentioned is out in trade, except for Fatale and Thief of Thieves, but those are coming out very soon I believe.
Hehe, I'm probably not as out of the loop as I feel. It's been at least 2 years since I picked up a comic off the rack to read and even then, I wasn't reading much. About 10 years since I was a regular reader of anything besides WD. I walked into a shop the other day and felt completely lost.

I generally go the trade route. It's always been the convenient way to go even though I do really miss the feel of reading an actual comic book sometimes.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Isn't Blackest Night a huge crossover event thing? Is it something I can just pick up in trade?

Hadn't heard of Fatale. Thanks for the heads up.
It has a bunch of tie-ins but if you get the main limited series that is really all that you need. The others are not essential to the main story but some are pretty good.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Paul Grist had a nice police story book out several years ago called Kane. There are several tpb out that collect the series. Unfortunately, like every other book he has made, he never finished it, but is is a really good crime/mystery book.

I have really enjoyed Invincible as well as the new Batman and Nightwing series.
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Marvelito

Quote:
Hehe, I'm probably not as out of the loop as I feel. It's been at least 2 years since I picked up a comic off the rack to read and even then, I wasn't reading much. About 10 years since I was a regular reader of anything besides WD. I walked into a shop the other day and felt completely lost.

I generally go the trade route. It's always been the convenient way to go even though I do really miss the feel of reading an actual comic book sometimes.
I know what you mean, I've gone stretches without picking up a book. I'm sort of burned out on superhero books and am on a bit of a Marvel hiatus right now, but actually read some of the New 52 books which is a switch for me being a lifelong Marvel zombie. If you look at my recommendations, that gives you a good idea what types of books I'm mostly into these days. There are many good books out there that have nothing to do with the superhero type books the big two put out, you just have to look.

Not sure if you've read them or not but Fables and its spin offs are good books. I also enjoy reading The Goon, reminds me a bit of Hellboy because he battles monsters and it's a funny book too which adds to the entertainment, so maybe you can check that out if you haven't already.