Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #141
Babytoxie
Ghost

Grabbed the 3rd volume of Dark Horse's King Conan series yesterday, collecting the first half of Truman and Giorello's adaptation of Hour of The Dragon. While Busiek and Nord were a dream team on Conan, Truman and Giorello have more than proven themselves with the character, and I would be happy with these guys on Conan ad infinitum, especially if we could get more stories of him as king. In fact, this book got me thinking that they should adapt the non-REH Conan the Avenger, Conan of Aquilonia, and Conan of the Isles. I know that deCamp and Carter have their share of haters, but I always liked their revisions and new additions to the saga. But the 12-volume Conan set from Ace Paperbacks was my introduction to the character, so perhaps I'm biased.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #142
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Grabbed the 3rd volume of Dark Horse's King Conan series yesterday, collecting the first half of Truman and Giorello's adaptation of Hour of The Dragon. While Busiek and Nord were a dream team on Conan, Truman and Giorello have more than proven themselves with the character, and I would be happy with these guys on Conan ad infinitum, especially if we could get more stories of him as king.
+1 .. I'd read anything these guys DO.. They are both excellent !
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #143
mad titan
A day without sunshine is like... night.

king conan is one of the best stories in a long time,along with the visual art its awsome. i give it a 10 out of 10 and highly say its one of the best well stories out there.
mad titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #144
mad titan
A day without sunshine is like... night.

did any one see the cover to king conan 6. how fitting for amra the lion.
mad titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #145
Babytoxie
Ghost

Coming in March 2015: a reprint of Michael T. Gilbert & P. Craig Russell's adaptation of Elric of Melnibone. This had been planned by Dark Horse some time ago but never got off the ground - glad to see that Titan came through!

http://www.amazon.com/MICHAEL-MOORCO...keywords=elric

UPDATE: The quality of this reprint is horrible! I flipped through it at the LCS and couldn't believe that Titan would treat this material so poorly. They even got the name of one of the creators wrong on the credits page.

Last edited by Babytoxie; 06-11-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #146
Babytoxie
Ghost

Marvel will reprint Doug Moench's Weirdworld in one volume in April 2015. It features artwork by Mike Ploog, Pat Broderick, and John Buscema. I only read a few issues of this title, so I'm not sure if it's worthwhile, and it's more of a standard fantasy than swords and sorcery. Still, it's nice to see obscure stuff like this coming back into print.

I will add that Rudy Nebres inked some of the issues. When I see his name on a project, I'm interested.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #147
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
A long time ago in this thread, you mentioned Marvel's Skull the Slayer. I found the entire run at a small show & bought them. Read them in one siting & thought the story was quite good. Marvel should take a long look at updating this tale (along w/ Killraven's run) and re-introduce them to modern audiences in a modern way (like the new Atlas is doing w/ Wulf). I don't think the big 2 have amassed enough of a Barbarian Library, besides Conan, S. Kane, & Kull, to reprint much. Runs like this & Arion, Lord of Atlantis, really date, & wouldn't catch much of an audience ... besides us. lol.

Wow. Wait long enough, and it will happen:

http://www.amazon.com/Skull-Slayer-M...77400&sr=1-227
Old 06-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #148
protector2814
Phoenix

Fellow Barbarian Comic Book Lovers, I strongly recommend you go out now & pick up the 1st issue of Marvel's WeirdWorld comic. It takes place during the nutty Battleworld backdrop, but that doesn't matter much & you don't really have to think about it. Originally created in the 70's by Moench & Ploog, Weirdworld was an attempt by Marvel back then to create a rich Fantasy-Inspired comic. Bullpen infighting & rewrites killed the series early, but this new incarnation stands apart as something pretty "F"in' great, as far as I'm concerned.
Jason Aaron found something else he can write well, heroic fantasy, & his hero Arkon, Lord of Warlords is very cool. Aaron's writing combined with Mike Del Mundo's trippy yet appropriate art will really take the reader back to 60's' Moorc@ckian & Lin Carter-esque semi-hippy sword 'n sorcery. Aaron obviously read the old stuff. I really liked this kick-off issue. Some pretty hard Barbarian coolness happening. It's on the racks right now. Pick it up.

Splash-Page -
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #149
Babytoxie
Ghost

Nice! That splash page reminds me of Sienkiewicz' covers for SSOC.

I really like the variant covers for that first issue. Bisley, Epting... how can you go wrong?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #150
protector2814
Phoenix

Yes, the regular/lcs cover which I posted, is kinda a snooze. Doesn't do the story inside justice.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote