Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 04-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #201
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB380 View Post
Damn, thanks for the info. I never knew that pic was for a non Tarzan novel .... I get what you meant now
I couldn't find that cover on the "The Monster from out of time" book when I searched the interweb so it started to bother me. I was just sure I remember it on a book that wasn't Tarzan. I tracked it down. It was from the last of the "Pellucidar" series. Like Tarzan it was by Edgar Rice Burroughs but it involved stories where the earth is hollow and people live in there. The hero of those books is a guy named David Innes. Frazetta did a lot of covers and art for those books too. The Huntress was actually art from those books

https://www.edgarriceburroughs.com/?page_id=22

Here is the Monster Out of Time on the last (I think?) book from that Pellucidar series "Land of Terror"

But as I said to 99.9% of the world, it's Tarzan. So if I was a Tarzan guy I would be thrilled with this and would consider it Tarzan.

Take Shedman for example, for him the ARH Shiflett Brothers Viking IS Kane as he is described by Karl Edward Wagner. Moreso than even the Frazetta covers. So that's how he considers that statue. As Kane.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:58 AM   #202
SAB380
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I couldn't find that cover on the "The Monster from out of time" book when I searched the interweb so it started to bother me. I was just sure I remember it on a book that wasn't Tarzan. I tracked it down. It was from the last of the "Pellucidar" series. Like Tarzan it was by Edgar Rice Burroughs but it involved stories where the earth is hollow and people live in there. The hero of those books is a guy named David Innes. Frazetta did a lot of covers and art for those books too. The Huntress was actually art from those books

https://www.edgarriceburroughs.com/?page_id=22

Here is the Monster Out of Time on the last (I think?) book from that Pellucidar series "Land of Terror"

But as I said to 99.9% of the world, it's Tarzan. So if I was a Tarzan guy I would be thrilled with this and would consider it Tarzan.

Take Shedman for example, for him the ARH Shiflett Brothers Viking IS Kane as he is described by Karl Edward Wagner. Moreso than even the Frazetta covers. So that's how he considers that statue. As Kane.
Interesting!
That means it's protagonist David Innes (who looks and dresses like Tarzan)
Pellucidar is a crossover location in ERB works and Tarzan actually goes there in Tarzan at the Earths Core.
SAB380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #203
jmsmith3388
The Avengers

Got mine yesterday, looks great. The gorilla face does look a little derp with one eye much bigger. I am still pissed there was no spear, the knife just doesn't exactly fit this statue the way a self made spear would of looked. A red head band and some jeans with that knife and you got yourself Rambo.

I guess ARH got sick of dealing with broken statues. The box was massive!! It also had really think foam around the pieces, still looked like a snowman master-baited all over the room by the time I was done unpacking him. This box will take up a chuck of storage space and was a little overkill on the protective side. But at the end of the day, no repairs needed from ARH!!
jmsmith3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:20 AM   #204
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsmith3388 View Post
Got mine yesterday, looks great. The gorilla face does look a little derp with one eye much bigger. I am still pissed there was no spear, the knife just doesn't exactly fit this statue the way a self made spear would of looked. A red head band and some jeans with that knife and you got yourself Rambo.

I guess ARH got sick of dealing with broken statues. The box was massive!! It also had really think foam around the pieces, still looked like a snowman master-baited all over the room by the time I was done unpacking him. This box will take up a chuck of storage space and was a little overkill on the protective side. But at the end of the day, no repairs needed from ARH!!
I'm pretty sure in all the movies and the TV Show Tarzan always had a knife... Don't remember him running around with a spear...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #205
jmsmith3388
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I'm pretty sure in all the movies and the TV Show Tarzan always had a knife... Don't remember him running around with a spear...
Tarzan used a spear just as much as a knife. It still looks good, maybe I'm getting spoiled with other companies using real metal for their weapons now, to get more of a realistic appearance.

Overall the statue looks great.
jmsmith3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #206
Great Pheidias
Nightwing

Quote:
Tarzan used a spear just as much as a knife. It still looks good, maybe I'm getting spoiled with other companies using real metal for their weapons now, to get more of a realistic appearance.

Overall the statue looks great.
Great Pheidias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #207
Great Pheidias
Nightwing

Quote:

Great Pheidias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #208
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Got mine yesterday, looks great. The gorilla face does look a little derp with one eye much bigger.

I think they had a bad cast of the Gorillas face and instead of fixing it the factory just decided to go with it. Luckily when you pose it from the side you don't really see it like you do looking at the Gorilla straight on.

Still it would of been nice if they fixed it but I understand ARH are on limited funds and probably have to make concessions with the factories in order to hit their price point. Although I would of gladly paid an extra $100 to have the face look like the prototype.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #209
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

"So doc, it hurts when I move my arm like this..." says the patient.
"Well don't move your arm like that." Replies the doctor.

It's as if ARH has taken the 80 year old joke and turned it into a customer service policy. How do you pay hundreds of dollars for something then have to angle it so the miscast face isn't showing?

You know, before they started to victimize me, I didn't believe posts like that were true.
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #210
SAB380
The X-Men

The statue is the same as the prototype.
Ehren's original 3D art is still on page 1 of this thread.
One eye is bigger in the original 3D art and on the prototype and on the final statue.
The jaw also hinges at an odd angle but again, it was designed this way.
This is all how Ehren wanted it.
SAB380 is offline   Reply With Quote