Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 04-29-2017, 01:16 AM   #51
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
With the many sporadic statue/collectibles releases over time, it's not possible to have an annual budget. Once again, it's psychological.. if I can break the price barrier per item, i can also break the annual budget and lie to myself, I have a 2-year to 10-year etc. budget and so on.
I don't think it's impossible to set an overall annual collecting budget, especially if you sell/trade in addition to buying, which I don't personally. It does seem easier when you buy from specific line or license, but I buy for the art (pretension alert. My bad.) so there's no telling which pieces will appeal to me until they are fully revealed. Prime 1 teasers,for example, are zero benefit to me other the to say maybe I'll wait before POing a Sideshow PF of the same character. I remember when HMO put up the Bounties and Bathos line and feeling relieved I didn't order Nariko just to get a taste of their quality but pissed that the sellout window for the Bounties pieces was to short decide whether I wanted to commit to a basically random new license. The risk is part of the hobby's fun though. I didn't splurge on Thanks, but the debate surrounding the price and the unexpected runaway success was fun to watch.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #52
Rom-El
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie21 View Post
I'm grateful for this thread. I'm relatively new and although there's alot that attracts me (mostly nostalgia) and overwhelms me... I think you guys may have just grounded me.

I love dioramas, that's my thing. So I'm going to section out to dioramas, gaming section and a minimal star wars section.

I saw my self wanting to jump on everything cool that I had some connection to and not seeing how I could budget for all the dioramas past or coming.

I'm going to sell what's not pertinent, as every extra dollar helps. As I already have a few random pieces that I don't love/go w my overall themes.

I'm going to patiently collect past ones as the opportunity arise to get at not secondary market prices.

And any other nostalgic characters not part of the big 3 (dio, games, SW), to a minimal set and only 1 of each character (ie TMNT, etc).

I think this helps me focus my collection and it'll help it look cleaner too, not all over the place.

Thanks!
Dioramas are cool. I wish I had more. Before I started collecting I would check out dioramas online. There are some Superman dioramas but wish there were more.
Rom-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #53
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Here are a few basic tenants of how I have built my collection:

Buy what I like > Buy for investment/flip potential
Buy with cash/trade > buy on credit
Focused/themed collection > scattered, “buy everything” approach
Only buy what I can display > collection in boxes

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #54
Bernie21
Sailor Moon

This thread, really woke me up... I've placed most if not all of my scattered pieces for sale. Two fold, help me clean up and bring in a little money to focus on my dioramas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom-El View Post
Dioramas are cool. I wish I had more. Before I started collecting I would check out dioramas online. There are some Superman dioramas but wish there were more.
I love the action brought to life. I hate that I started late because some of the pieces are up there in prices... I'm trying to focus on keeping up this year, and catching up when a reasonable price presents its self. I have Superman v Darkseid and the Koto Superman v Batman. But for me my fav is the Wolverine v Sabertooth and the Daredevil v Punisher. Hopefully if I sell some of these smaller pieces, I can jump on one of those if they're not at mortgage prices.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #55
Rom-El
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie21 View Post
This thread, really woke me up... I've placed most if not all of my scattered pieces for sale. Two fold, help me clean up and bring in a little money to focus on my dioramas.

I love the action brought to life. I hate that I started late because some of the pieces are up there in prices... I'm trying to focus on keeping up this year, and catching up when a reasonable price presents its self. I have Superman v Darkseid and the Koto Superman v Batman. But for me my fav is the Wolverine v Sabertooth and the Daredevil v Punisher. Hopefully if I sell some of these smaller pieces, I can jump on one of those if they're not at mortgage prices.
That's cool! Yeah, I've seen some of the prices (such as the Superman vs Doomsday one, but that's huge.)

Good luck with your collecting!
Rom-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #56
Jiggatron69
Hydra

My philosophy: WITNESS ME!!!!!!
Jiggatron69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #57
Bernie21
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom-El View Post
(such as the Superman vs Doomsday one, but that's huge.)
GRAIL!!!

Thanks
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote