Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 04-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

What's your collecting philosophy?

So I’m new(ish) to collecting. I started with Bishoujo moved to Kotobukiya's 1/10th offerings and then finally my first Fine Art statue was Rouge. At the time I was just buying what I liked and what was cool. The Rouge was a pretty big financial jump for me actually at $150. Then I started to look into the Sideshow part of the forum which lead to peaking in the PCS, P1,XM, GG sections and on and on. This led me to my first Sideshow pre-order of Captain Marvel and my first PF purchase of the regular edition Boba Fett. Fast Forward to present day and I now own Bobba PF, Gamora PF, Captain Marvel PF. Along with that I have a Prime 1 Gen 1 Megatron, Thanos on Throne EX, PF Spiderman, Iron Studios Darth Vader, and a Tweeter Head Lynda Carter WW all on pre-order. It got me to thinking. Where is this all headed? What is my collecting Philosophy? Do I have a theme? I can’t just buy everything that I think is cool cause I think a crap load of stuff is cool. Maybe it’s a 80’s toy theme? Cosmic Marvel? Star Wars if I’m really determined to go broke…lol I guess I’m wondering how do you guys collect? What made you move in a particular direction? Or are you just I buy what I like scales, themes and philosophies be dammed! Any input/discussion would be helpful and thanks!
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
dao2
Cyclops

You can have multiple themes if you want I think, unless you want an entire room of something you love. But getting a bunch of singletons doesn't look clean, try distill it to just a few themes like star wars and marvel and keep them seperated. Don't have like boba fett then megatron then gamora. Have them in sections, some nice art as well all that sorta stuff.

Also if you want different scales try and keep them on the same level (with stands and such).
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Formless. Shapeless. Like water.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Go through the Collection Corner section. That will give you an idea of many collecting philosophies.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

I never believed in 'slippery slopes' before, but this is a dangerous hobby, eh?

I had a couple statues from around '99, but I wasn't aware it was really an industry or hobby until much later. At that point, I was googling some of my favorite Marvel characters, and came across statues - and they blew my mind. VERY soon after, I found this forum, and PCS/Street Fighter, and that took over, as Street Fighter has been one of the most influential items/interests in my life.

Collecting philosophy? I made a list. All licenses, all characters in those licenses. Helps to avoid buying any old character that gets made into a kickass statue. PCS does it all the time to me. I'd buy a lot more if I didn't stick to the characters I absolutely love. The upcoming Bison Ultra that you're interested in, for example. That statue is awesome. I like Bison, but not enough to get the Ultra (in addition to the MM line, which I prefer). But it's a struggle.

Also tried to decide which characters I think have cool character design (so, good for a statue), versus which work better in a scene/theme (good for an art print). I tend to not like real world designs for statues. For example, I love Star Wars as much as anyone, but aside from Maul, I don't find the character designs particularly cool.

I started at about 1:6 scale, but quickly moved to 1:4 with Street Fighter, and prefer it for everything now by far. Perfect amount of detail and impressive size/presence for me. But I'm not rigid about it. If a character I want is produced from 1:3 - 1:6 scale, I'll consider it. I'd love to be disciplined enough to only own one statue of every character, but I just can't.

Good luck. I've been able to 'justify' spending more and more over the years. I'll reiterate my first point - this hobby is dangerous...
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #6
adee
Green Arrow

I've found that sticking to a theme albeit a very personalized theme has helped me focus my collection and has stopped me from buying everything I think looks cool which makes it more financially stable for me.

Honestly if I could I'd have them all!
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Formless. Shapeless. Like water.
I love Bruce too, but I wouldn't want a little version of him standing around.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I'm trying to focus in and definitely looking in the Collection Corner section. I have this childhood cartoon theme stuck in my head meaning Voltron, Transformers G.I. Joe. Also a huge Wonder Women fan. Space and how to display is also something I'm contemplating too. Nothing sadder than my Gamora being in the box right now.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I wish I had focused on a theme earlier on. Space is definitely an issue, maybe even more so than cost.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #10
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I love Bruce too, but I wouldn't want a little version of him standing around.
I have two and love them.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote