Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 10-23-2022, 02:23 AM   #541
nearmint
Phoenix

nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:53 AM   #542
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

The paint apps look really crisp! Great work by Queen Studios.

My only gripe, is the hair. The paint seems to be excessively applied. This is a general problem with sculpted hair - in fact, I'd say its the next most difficult thing to paint after skin tones.

For the comic portrait, it's not a problem, but for the "realistic" portrait, it's extremely jarring. Same thing for Black Widow.

Based on the hair, I'd say this piece is one step above the (good quality) statues you can get from Sideshow. And that's not a negative critique at all.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #543
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

By 'excessively applied' you mean no shading or highlights? As it is just all black
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #544
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
By 'excessively applied' you mean no shading or highlights? As it is just all black
Yeah, that's a much better way to describe it (thanks!)

When hair is just painted one colour like that, it looks more like a solid block, even though they've obviously sculpted "stranding". It doesn't detract on a comic piece, where such approximations are easily excused, maybe even expected - but on a "realism" sculpt - at least in my opinion - it doesn't work, and certainly never on a character with long hair.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #545
Asgard
Deadman

With black hair I don't know what color shadows or highlights would be. Are there shades of black?
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #546
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Gal Gadot has dark brown hair, and depending on the specific look and studio lighting, in some images she even seems to have blonde highlights - but that could be hair dye.

In any case, simply slapping black paint on the sculpt, doesn't help to give the impression of realistic hair - I don't know what more to tell you. If you like it, fair enough - but for me, it doesn't work.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:43 AM   #547
Asgard
Deadman

If Gal Gadot has brown hair, the statue will have the wrong hair color.
My comment was about generally black hair.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:19 PM   #548
generalszabo

WW generally has black hair so I see why they did that. It kinda reminds me of the P1 1/3 justice league gal, that too looked like a big lump of polystone, from some angles. I think it's more an issue of the sculpt than the paint, although it could use some dark brown to make it look more realistic
Old 10-23-2022, 01:01 PM   #549
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Maybe the best way to look at this piece, is to look at it as if it were a comic version of Gal Gadot (I guess the hint is in the name) - rather than a hyper realistic piece. Maybe I'm looking for something that was never the original intent for the statue - in which case, my bad.

From that other perspective, it really does tick all the boxes. Unfortunately, it just means the hyper expensive JND piece, is the only real option for a realistic Gal Gadot WW JL.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #550
generalszabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Maybe the best way to look at this piece, is to look at it as if it were a comic version of Gal Gadot (I guess the hint is in the name) - rather than a hyper realistic piece. Maybe I'm looking for something that was never the original intent for the statue - in which case, my bad.

From that other perspective, it really does tick all the boxes. Unfortunately, it just means the hyper expensive JND piece, is the only real option for a realistic Gal Gadot WW JL.
Are you counting busts in that? For me, infinity got it right with their bust

I also really like the horseback 1/3 from Prime 1

JND are all about realism but I wouldn't say they're the only option (and there will be other gal statues in the future)