Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #11
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I collect most of to this day. I have to agree with PI that "Batman" is the strongest book with "Court of Owls" being the best. Death of the Family was great as well however it seemed like DC got gun shy about having a massive impactful change to the status quo with that storyline.

Detective is serviceable, but certainly not special.

Batman and Robin is requisite only if you like the Damian Wayne character and for the last year has consisted of Bruce lamenting the death of a character that quite frankly was a sore thumb in the Bat-Universe IMHO.

Dark Knight is unreadable but does have nice art in a few panels.

Just my two cents
I agree.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

There is something very funny about a reader having trouble with continuity for a company that just wiped the slate clean 2.5 years ago. Knocking out 75 years of convoluted history for a new start...yet when an intelligent fan & reader goes to the store to buy, he can't tell where the hell to start. Good job DC.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
sleepindeath
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Busts View Post
There is something very funny about a reader having trouble with continuity for a company that just wiped the slate clean 2.5 years ago. Knocking out 75 years of convoluted for a new start...yet when an intelligent fan & reader goes to the store to buy, he can't tell where the hell to start. Good job DC.
Easy DC Hater.

The problem here is the question was what order to read different trades.

Batman first trade has nothing to do with Batgirl or even The Dark Knight.

So, it would not make a difference period.

If we are talking about "The Death of The Family" I believe there is one trade with all the stories that were considered tie-ins. Or just read the Batman trade with the direct story.
sleepindeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
sleepindeath
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Hi All,

I went to my local comic shop recently and purchased a few hardcovers. However, I'm thinking I may not have purchased the rights one or didn't buy enough of them to complete a storyline. I'm also not sure which order to read these books. There seems to be so many Bat-related titles these days. Sheesh!

I bought these New 52 hardcover books:

a) Batgirl Vol 1 (Simone/Syaf): The Darkest reflection Collects issues 1-6
b) Batman The Dark Knight Vol 1 (Finch/Jenkins): Knight Terrors - Collects issues 1-9
c) Batman Vol 2 (Snyder/Capullo) - The City of Owls - Collects issues 8-12, plus Annual 1
d) Batman - Night of the Owls - Collects issues All Star Western #9, Batman #8-9, Batman annual #1, Batman The Dark Knight #9, Batman Detective comics #9, Batgirl #9, Batwing #9, Birds of Prey #9, Nightwing #8-9, Batman and Robin #9, Catwoman #9 and Red Hood and the Outlaws #9

Do I need these as well?

e) Batman: The Dark Knight vol.2 (Finch/Hurwitz): Cycle of violence - Collects issues #10-15 and #0
f) Batman: Detective Comics Vol. 1 (Daniel): Faces of Death - Collects issues 1-7
g) Batman: Detective Comics Vol. 2 (Daniel): Scare Tactics - Collects issues 8-12, #0, Annual 1
h) The Joker: Death of the Family - Detective Comics 16-17, Catwoman 13-14, Batgirl 14-16, Red Hood and the Outlaws 15-16, Teen Titans 15, Nightwing 15-16, Batman and Robin 15-17, Batman 17. Also collects the portions of the following issues: Suicide Squad 14-15, Batgirl 13, Red Hood and the Outlaws 13-14, Teen Titans 14, 16, Nightwing 14 and Batman 13
i) Batman Vol. 1 (Snyder Capullo): The Court of Owls collects issues 1-7
j) Batman Vol. 3 (Snyder Capullo): Death of the Family - collects issues 13-17
k) Batgirl Vol. 2 (Simone/Syaf): Knightfall Descends - Collects issues 7-13, and 0
l) Batgirl Vol. 3 (Simone/Benes): Death in the family - Collects 14-19, Batman 17, and a Young Romance story

There seems to be some multiple reprinting of issues in the collections. Oh well. Are the other Bat-titles important to what's happening in these books?

Anyone know what order to read these in, i.e., Batman before Dark Knight before Detective?
Am I missing anything?

I appreciate it, guys!
Hey Ringstar,

The only ones you need to read are as follows;

Batman Vol 2 (Snyder/Capullo) - The City of Owls - Collects issues 8-12, plus Annual 1
- This is the main story for court of owls.

Batman - Night of the Owls - Collects issues All Star Western #9, Batman #8-9, Batman annual #1, Batman The Dark Knight #9, Batman Detective comics #9, Batgirl #9, Batwing #9, Birds of Prey #9, Nightwing #8-9, Batman and Robin #9, Catwoman #9 and Red Hood and the Outlaws #9
- Only if you like the various characters in these books and would like to know how they dealt with The Court of Owls.Batman Vol. 3 (Snyder Capullo)

Death of the Family - collects issues 13-17
- This will contain the main issues that focus on Death of The Family.

The Joker: Death of the Family - Detective Comics 16-17, Catwoman 13-14, Batgirl 14-16, Red Hood and the Outlaws 15-16, Teen Titans 15, Nightwing 15-16, Batman and Robin 15-17, Batman 17. Also collects the portions of the following issues: Suicide Squad 14-15, Batgirl 13, Red Hood and the Outlaws 13-14, Teen Titans 14, 16, Nightwing 14 and Batman 13
- Cash grab unless you care for these other characters.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #15
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
There is something very funny about a reader having trouble with continuity for a company that just wiped the slate clean 2.5 years ago. Knocking out 75 years of convoluted for a new start...yet when an intelligent fan & reader goes to the store to buy, he can't tell where the hell to start. Good job DC.
the same can be said for Marvel every month as well. Any given month, Cap, Wolverine, Spidey, etc...are all in a million different books all located in different timelines/parts of their world at any given time

Any intelligent fan/regular reader who is not following a current character month to month will always be confused no matter what.

Marvel with all their #1's is even a worse offender as its nearly impossible (aside form checking interior printing dates) to keep track of which volume happened when
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #16
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Touchy little babies.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #17
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepindeath View Post
Hey Ringstar,

The only ones you need to read are as follows;

Batman Vol 2 (Snyder/Capullo) - The City of Owls - Collects issues 8-12, plus Annual 1
- This is the main story for court of owls.

Batman - Night of the Owls - Collects issues All Star Western #9, Batman #8-9, Batman annual #1, Batman The Dark Knight #9, Batman Detective comics #9, Batgirl #9, Batwing #9, Birds of Prey #9, Nightwing #8-9, Batman and Robin #9, Catwoman #9 and Red Hood and the Outlaws #9
- Only if you like the various characters in these books and would like to know how they dealt with The Court of Owls.Batman Vol. 3 (Snyder Capullo)

Death of the Family - collects issues 13-17
- This will contain the main issues that focus on Death of The Family.

The Joker: Death of the Family - Detective Comics 16-17, Catwoman 13-14, Batgirl 14-16, Red Hood and the Outlaws 15-16, Teen Titans 15, Nightwing 15-16, Batman and Robin 15-17, Batman 17. Also collects the portions of the following issues: Suicide Squad 14-15, Batgirl 13, Red Hood and the Outlaws 13-14, Teen Titans 14, 16, Nightwing 14 and Batman 13
- Cash grab unless you care for these other characters.

Thanks SD.
I'll definitely start with the Owls storyline.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #18
sleepindeath
Nightwing

Quote:
Touchy little babies.
as per your ongoing problem with the New 52. Some of us are just tired of your rants.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #19
sleepindeath
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Thanks SD.
I'll definitely start with the Owls storyline.
No Problem. I found the Court of Owls Story and art to be top notch.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Touchy little babies.
When you have no response, name calling is the quickest way out of a conversation...
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote