Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #21
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepindeath View Post
as per your ongoing problem with the New 52. Some of us are just tired of your rants.
rants...haha, come on. Do you a personal investment in DC or something? yeesh.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #22
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
When you have no response, name calling is the quickest way out of a conversation...
I was just messing with you, bud.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #23
risingstar
Jedi Order

I'm all set! Thanks for all the advice, guys!

a) Batgirl Vol 1 (Simone/Syaf): The Darkest reflection Collects issues 1-6
b) Batgirl Vol. 2 (Simone/Syaf): Knightfall Descends - Collects issues 7-13, and 0
c) Batgirl Vol. 3 (Simone/Benes): Death in the family - Collects 14-19, Batman 17, and a Young Romance story

d) Batman The Dark Knight Vol 1 (Finch/Jenkins): Knight Terrors - Collects issues 1-9
e) Batman: The Dark Knight vol.2 (Finch/Hurwitz): Cycle of violence - Collects issues #10-15 and #0

f) Batman Vol. 1 (Snyder Capullo): The Court of Owls collects issues 1-7
g) Batman Vol 2 (Snyder/Capullo) - The City of Owls - Collects issues 8-12, plus Annual 1
h) Batman Vol. 3 (Snyder Capullo): Death of the Family - collects issues 13-17
i) Batman - Night of the Owls - Collects issues All Star Western #9, Batman #8-9, Batman annual #1, Batman The Dark Knight #9, Batman Detective comics #9, Batgirl #9, Batwing #9, Birds of Prey #9, Nightwing #8-9, Batman and Robin #9, Catwoman #9 and Red Hood and the Outlaws #9

I realize the Finch books were blasted by the fans.
I just got those for the artwork.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #24
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Finchs art got blasted as well
Hes gone downhill as late....
Try Jason Fabok on Detective. His arts very reminiscent of early Finch. And Laymans a much better writer.
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #25
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Busts View Post
There is something very funny about a reader having trouble with continuity for a company that just wiped the slate clean 2.5 years ago. Knocking out 75 years of convoluted history for a new start...yet when an intelligent fan & reader goes to the store to buy, he can't tell where the hell to start. Good job DC.
The biggest part of the issue, particularly as it pertains to Batman and this thread, is that they chickened out and did not reboot Batman and Green Lantern when they reset the DCU. GL I understand to some extent as Johns had recently reset Hals continuity. Batman on the other hand, spoken as someone who's run on Tec and Batman started in 1986, was the character in the most desperate need of a reboot. Things like "Zero Year" would have been so awesome to read at the launch of new 52, as would the Court of Owls. Imagine that storylines revelation as it related to Dick Grayson, if we had just been introduced and had grown to love a new version?

While I don't hate the New 52, much of it could have been better.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #26
DSET
The Secret Six

I read scott snyders books, everything else doesn't really get high praise as far as I've heard.

Personally I'm into the new detective (30+) because of Manapul, I'm not a fan of the previous artists. Same reason I got most of the early Batwomans: JHW3 was killer. Can say the same thing about Snyder and Paquette on Swamp thing, it was good for a bit too.

I liked Death of the family, maybe its just because I like Capullo's artwork. I don't get the criticism of it, it wasn't groundbreaking but it was fun. Same thing for Zero Year.

None of these compare to Snyder's Detective Run though: that was a masterpiece. That certainly had Snyder's signature Horror\Thriller feel to it. I wish the editors would just leave him alone and let him go the dark-mature route like he did with that run.

Right Now Capullo is whats great about Batman, on detective: Snyder was (even though it had pretty great art as well).

IMO Batman fans knocking the new52 are spoilt, there hasn't been many Batman arcs worth reading for years until Snyder came around. I count my lucky stars we have this book. I wonder if these fans preferred Grants Batman work and events, if so: I strongly disagree
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #27
Luminous
Cyclops

While I've enjoyed Snyder's run I think I enjoyed Tomasi's Batman & Robin more.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

Finally read the new52 books below.

- Batgirl HC Vol 1-3 (Simone/Syaf/Benes): Collects issues 1-19, Batman 17, and a Young Romance story

Brief review: Simone does an amazing job giving us Barbara's point of view of Gotham. I can totally hear Barbara's voice. You'd think someone with that much optimism in Gotham would feel out of place, but Simone makes it work. Sadly, the Joker storyline wasn't half the story it could have been. I'd recommend the first 2 HCs.

- Batman The Dark Knight HC Vol 1-12 (Finch/Jenkins/Hurwitz): Collects issues 0-15

Brief review: Someone please take Jenkins away from his bat-computer. It quite literally read like someone else was wearing the costume. While Finch's art helped make up for Jenkins' struggle to maintain Batman's presence, overall it still fell short. Also, the storyline seemed to drag on forever. A Scarecrow story arc should not encompass 2 HCs. He's not that interesting. Pass.

- Batman Vol 1-3 (Snyder/Capullo) - Collects issues 1-17, plus Annual 1

Brief review: The first two Court of the Owl story arcs were good, even if implausible. There were moments where Batman was believably overwhelmed. The Joker storyline started out okay, but left much to be desired at the end. I recommend the first 2 HCs.

- Batman - Night of the Owls - Collects issues All Star Western #9, Batman #8-9, Batman annual #1, Batman The Dark Knight #9, Batman Detective comics #9, Batgirl #9, Batwing #9, Birds of Prey #9, Nightwing #8-9, Batman and Robin #9, Catwoman #9 and Red Hood and the Outlaws #9

Brief review: Not a necessary compilation at all. Waste of cash. Batman vol 2 had everything I needed.

Out of 9 HCs, only 4 were worth buying/reading.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote