Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #905
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomPaintWork View Post
Jim Lee's Jublilee never looked chinese in comics. Does that discount the fact that she was chinese?

Unfortunately for a lot of people (whom I suspect never read Uncanny X-Men issues 248 onwards) Jim Lee's approach was very socially stylized not naturalistic. What that means is they were drawn less literally than what they really were.

If we are gonna split hairs, Wolverine PF is not of Jim Lee's design. The Rogue EX portrait is an ex portrait only available to a few, whereas Cyclops has his traditional portrait as a regular. Rogue's regular portrait is by far the most in-accurate comic book representation of any character I have seen on mixed media.

The sad thing that can be concluded here is that Psylocke EX portrait doesnt look white enuff (NOT that it's not from Jim Lee's design, because she is clearly wearing that costume HE designed). She was and always will be Asian in that body. Rogue, Jean, Psylocke, Storm were pretty much drawn with the same style. Doesnt mean they all look like that ie- 80s pin-up models from Jem and the Rockers. Lastly, the Storm Comiquette has prominent african features to it, it is not designed to look less African.

Ironically everyone thinking that prominent cheekbones is a trait of men are sorely mistaken. In all cultures, prominent cheekbones distinguish beauty of women... not the other way around. If Psylocke had a cleft in her chin, and an adam's apple then you could make that argument, but i think it's deplorable to suggest that she looks like a transexual... especially since she's not white..
the cyclops outfit was just a copy of Walt Simonson's Scott Summers outfit in his non-superpowered alter ego and Psylocke was just Lady Hydra but in purple

And yes, Jubilee was Asian. Can't help but laugh at the fact that an Asian artist can't draw asian women!
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #906
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill78 View Post
Sorry to disturb all this bickering but I just found out from sideshow that they will start charging for this statue on march 19th ( unless of course there is another Chinese new year )
Yep, my second flex was charged yesterday, so March it is. Yahoo! Can't wait for this one.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #907
CustomPaintWork
Kindly Asked To Leave

dont think it's so much as that as it was political. perhaps the standards of beauty in America are more rigid than they're internationally.

It must've been a shock to some people that an anglophone purple-haired supermodel was transformed to a sexy ninja asassain incarnate overnight.

over the years [in all fairness to comic book artists] each artist had a style that was stylized and a trademark of theirs. it didnt stop or begin with Jim Lee. I never liked the Emma Frost Premium Format statue, but that IS the literal interpretation of the comicbook cover it was modeled after.
CustomPaintWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #908
jasong888
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

hmm cancel or not to cancell...::flips coin::
jasong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #909
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Don't do it.
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #910
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post

This reminds me. It's about time Sideshow shows Hercules some statue treatment. He's one of the oldest characters I know and would be great next to Thor. And he was cool in Civil War.

How many of you would be interested? And would he be considered an A-lister?
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote