Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 03-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
JasonTD
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Publishing Photos of Collectibles?

I've been super busy for the past several months with moving (again), work, and podcasting, so I haven't been able to keep up here as much as I did in the past. I'm hoping to rectify that and plan to start up a new thread with some recent photos soon (yay!).

I was wondering about something and was hoping somebody could shed some light on it... What sorts of rights / licensing are involved with photos we make of our own collectibles? I know the characters are owned by Marvel or whatever company created them, and I know the collectibles themselves typically are owned by the company that produces them, but what about photos we take with our own cameras of these pieces?

I ask because I was going to have a poster printed up for my office, produced from a photo I made of a bunch of statues in my collection, and I started wondering about the rights issues for something like this, or even for something like including photographed collectibles in commercial books. I know books like the Spectrum collections have licensed statues each year, Toyfare publishes their own photos every month, and statues even show up in things like The Big Bang Theory and Die Hard 4. Do they have to seek out permission from the various companies, or how does all of that work?

So, anybody know the actual rights issues (if any) involving our own photos of collectibles?
JasonTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
P1X4R
Producer

as long as it's for personal use then i don't think there's a problem with it. now if you go trying to sell it for $$$ is where you may get into trouble.
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
corythosaurus
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1X4R View Post
as long as it's for personal use then i don't think there's a problem with it. now if you go trying to sell it for $$$ is where you may get into trouble.
I concur.

I'd even add that magazines, etc. can print for "editorial" use. You take the photo, you own the copyright; you can print whatever you want whatever size you want.....however, if you were to sell the photo to others is when you will encounter licensing issues.
corythosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote