Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #1291
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I think they did listen to feedback. When they revealed Psylocke initially a lot of idiot collectors started the " it's a man" joke. And I think they took it a bit too far. It saturated statue groups for a while. People adding beards to the portrait, etc. I guess we can blame those morons for this new headsculpt. People didn't like the pretty Psylocke portrait, but like the ugly XM Scarlet Witch one? Weird crowd.
I guess I’m in the minority where I thought BOTH portraits look(ed) feminine and both were/are pretty.

While I know this isn’t the SW thread, I am confused where you find it “ugly”. You don’t like the hair in front of her tiara, but does that make the rest “ugly”? Or do you not find Liv Tyler attractive? Lol.

It’s just odd to me that SS would change Psylocke and not Ivy and Emma Frost who were destroyed on the “manly” comments. Neither of which I found too manly. Just not stereotypically feminine
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #1292
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I guess I’m in the minority where I thought BOTH portraits look(ed) feminine and both were/are pretty.

While I know this isn’t the SW thread, I am confused where you find it “ugly”. You don’t like the hair in front of her tiara, but does that make the rest “ugly”? Or do you not find Liv Tyler attractive? Lol.
It isn't even close to being as pretty as Liv Tyler.
I think it is just a boring, long, generic face.
And yes, I think the hair in front of the mask was a poor choice.
Pose is awful and the black laces were an odd touch. They really don't go with the design.
XM used to do such great costume details. But they seem to be losing their touch.
I actually think Sideshow pieces are more detailed now.
Look at their Elektra, even some of these X-Men pieces.

If you like it, great. Then buy it.
What does it matter what I think, when you Like it?
If I loved a piece and 99% of you hated it, guess what....I would still get it.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #1293
demonhunter
Kingpin

Just wanted to explain why I like the original and not the new head.

Sideshow has been one of the best companies when it comes to superheroes portraits. They have proven they are very good at making realistic sculpts that look like they could be real people. Such as the new Wolverine Premium Format statue I just bought a few months ago and also the Black Canary premium format. Their sculptors have amazing talents.

When I first saw the original Psylocke portrait, I immediately fell in love with it. Although I did mention I was looking for a ponytail-like hairstyle (as she was always portrayed in the early 90s, especially when Jim Lee drew her), I came to like the hairstyle SS chose for the original head. It never crossed my mind she looked masculine. She did have a more squarish and angular looking jaw and head, but everything still looked good.

For the new headsculpt, I can see SS put the effort into trying to add the ponytail hairstyle, and make it look more Asian, and tried to soften the face, more slit eyes(not all Asians have slit eyes and is not the only Asian trait) and even making the head smaller(female heads are generally a little smaller than males). The face is now also more elongated. It looks to me the new face has all the checkboxes marked to make it more feminine and have the wanted traits.

However, the changes also made it look odd to me. I feel as if the changes were "forced" onto it making it look strange. This is also affected by the fact, we have seen how the original looks like, and the change seems jarring to me.

Nonetheless, sculpts are pieces of art. This new sculpt is art. And there is no right and wrong in art. Just opinions and how the art makes people feel about it.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #1294
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhunter View Post

Sideshow has been one of the best companies when it comes to superheroes portraits. They have proven they are very good at making realistic sculpts that look like they could be real people. Such as the new Wolverine Premium Format statue I just bought a few months ago and also the Black Canary premium format. Their sculptors have amazing talents.

When I first saw the original Psylocke portrait, I immediately fell in love with it. Although I did mention I was looking for a ponytail-like hairstyle (as she was always portrayed in the early 90s, especially when Jim Lee drew her), I came to like the hairstyle SS chose for the original head. It never crossed my mind she looked masculine. She did have a more squarish and angular looking jaw and head, but everything still looked good.

For the new headsculpt, I can see SS put the effort into trying to add the ponytail hairstyle, and make it look more Asian, and tried to soften the face, more slit eyes(not all Asians have slit eyes and is not the only Asian trait) and even making the head smaller(female heads are generally a little smaller than males). The face is now also more elongated. It looks to me the new face has all the checkboxes marked to make it more feminine and have the wanted traits.

However, the changes also made it look odd to me. I feel as if the changes were "forced" onto it making it look strange. This is also affected by the fact, we have seen how the original looks like, and the change seems jarring to me.

Nonetheless, sculpts are pieces of art. This new sculpt is art. And there is no right and wrong in art. Just opinions and how the art makes people feel about it.

V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #1295
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhunter View Post

I agree.
I was never one for being articulate, or well spoken. Lol
They are nice sculpts. I would never be able to do them. Much respect to the artists.
I just think the direction was wrong. It raises questions.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #1296
Tayto_0
Sinister Six

Quote:
I am going to stick with my XM Scarlet Witch comments.
Sorry, but that portrait is not pretty (avoiding "ugly") and a huge step back for the company.
I even think this new Psylocke portrait is better.
I can't see how any tweak to that SW would make it worse than it is.

And I am sticking with "morons," regarding the collectors posting bearded photos of the Psylocke portraits.

Sorry to disappoint.
I'm not asking you to change your opinion on Scarlet Witch. That was clearly not my point.

I have no idea who posted or where pictures of Psylocke with a beard were posted i was referring to comments on this forum. And yeah I'd call that moronic too.

And what the "sorry to disappoint" comment is for or even about i have no idea.

I'll leave it there, i was simply trying to bring this back to some sort of reasonable conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post

It’s just odd to me that SS would change Psylocke and not Ivy and Emma Frost who were destroyed on the “manly” comments. Neither of which I found too manly. Just not stereotypically feminine
Yeah that's why i'm finding it difficult to believe this change had anything to do with feedback. The comments in those threads were just as bad.
Tayto_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #1297
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayto_0 View Post
I'm not asking you to change your opinion on Scarlet Witch. That was clearly not my point.

I have no idea who posted or where pictures of Psylocke with a beard were posted i was referring to comments on this forum. And yeah I'd call that moronic too.

And what the "sorry to disappoint" comment is for or even about i have no idea.

I'll leave it there, i was simply trying to bring this back to some sort of reasonable conversation.

Yeah that's why i'm finding it difficult to believe this change had anything to do with feedback. The comments in those threads were just as bad.
The comments in the Ivy thread were much, much worse.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #1298
dechirico7
The Flash

I agree, I am actually surprised that they tweaked this one instead of the Ivy portraits and the Emma exclusive portrait.

Ivy is a beautiful sculpt, but there are so many aspect of the piece that don't fit the character. Like the muscular sculpt. It is beautiful, but not how Ivy was ever depicted. The exclusive head, again, great sculpt, but doesn't work for her.

The Emma exclusive head, again, doesn't fit the character. Too angry. Not a fan of the makeup, but that could be an easy tweak that I could fix.

Then there is Rogue with the reused portrait. Why not tweak one of those?

I am preparing myself for X-23.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #1299
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
The comments in the Ivy thread were much, much worse.

My 2 cents: I think this has more to do with license approval than actual fan reaction.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #1300
Chargersfan57
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
I think they did listen to feedback. When they revealed Psylocke initially a lot of collectors started the " it's a man" joke. And I think they took it a bit too far. It saturated statue groups for a while. People adding beards to the portrait, etc. I guess we can blame those morons for this new headsculpt. People didn't like the pretty Psylocke portrait, but like the ugly XM Scarlet Witch one? Ok.
Hmmm....interesting. I don't check any of this on Facebook.

Didn't know she was getting the beard treatment.
Chargersfan57 is offline   Reply With Quote