Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 10-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #41
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

I was looking at that shot of the face a lot too when it went up for order.

I realize what they are going for and i do think amongst others of the same type it'll look fine but yeah, like you say if this comes out in 2 years it's going to look very long in the tooth indeed.

But they are really going for thta cartoon simplicity. The problem is for $530 you don't want cartoon simplicity do you??
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #42
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Too much $ but it rocks. Looks perfect. I love the cartoon design and they stayed true to it. Will get it once I get my refunds....
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #43
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

What I like about this is the fact that he’s wearing a suit these sculptors today are sculpting muscles just for the hell of it. Characters are wearing suits and you can see every muscle as if they were naked. Even saw a custom that showed characters bellybutton an impossibility when wearing a suit.

I however feel ss hands down did the best gi joe line their cobra commander and baroness took the statues out of cartoon realm but you still get that look you grew up with. I feel for the price pcs could of done a little more with these.

Huge cobra commander fan can’t have enough of him. Really hope destro makes the cut.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #44
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
I hate to be THAT guy, but Storm Shadow is one of my favorite characters and yes I am happy to see studios giving this guy some love, but this piece is just too big and too expensive for what you are really getting with this.

I really looked over the videos and pictures as the overall design is great just like it is jumping off the toy art design.

But imagining my 3" PVC blown up to 1/4 scale and charging $530 and lacking any details and PCS history of issues (not to mention sweating what may happen to this company by 2020), I am so very not interested.

This is so not up to par by today's standards. What will it look like 2-3 years from now.
Its a statue based on a cartoon from 30 years ago. Its going to look like a statue based on a cartoon from 30 years ago in 2020. And as far as details this is what alot of people want. Something that is very close to the 80's animation. Seems like it hits all those notes to me. This is a statue being exactly what its supposed to be.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #45
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuhayabusa6787 View Post
What I like about this is the fact that he’s wearing a suit these sculptors today are sculpting muscles just for the hell of it. Characters are wearing suits and you can see every muscle as if they were naked. Even saw a custom that showed characters bellybutton an impossibility when wearing a suit.

I however feel ss hands down did the best gi joe line their cobra commander and baroness took the statues out of cartoon realm but you still get that look you grew up with. I feel for the price pcs could of done a little more with these.

Huge cobra commander fan can’t have enough of him. Really hope destro makes the cut.

This is it right here ^
Prime 1 and XM especially suffer the problem of cramming in extraneous detail and textures just to up surface area with polygons command attention from the viewer.

I Fully believe PCS is looking at the success of their Filmation line to reach the decisions going forward with G.I. Joe and Transformers.
I get the thinking of catering to nostalgia but He-Man is the Granddaddy of ALL other 80's cartoons and those built on selling toys.
It's strange because you don't imagine remembering He-Man with more details but you do the Transformers and for me the Joes especially.

It's not just the dyed in the wool fans making statues sell. Look at how many people buy P1 pieces not based on association but plain visual appeal. I'd say more than half of those buying Berserk have more than a passing knowledge with the franchise.

But yeah Sideshow nailed bringing the very basic cartoon design into the real world.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #46
CyberSteak
A day without sunshine is like... night.

It's a beautiful piece. And I would jump on it, if I could trust the health of the company.

250 pieces, and it hasn't sold out yet. I think the price is higher then they originally planned it to be. Which makes me believe all PCS products going forward will have a higher price point now due to the partnership with Sideshow.

There was plans to have switch out arms with him throwing some ninja stars, I guess it didn't make the cut.

I do have one gripe about the bow and arrow pose. Horrible form. Right hand should be anchored at the base of his jaw. No way he'd have his hand cocked back that far. Maybe the pic is taken from a bad angle. And if I didn't know a damn thing about archery, it wouldn't bother me. But alas... Is it a deal breaker? Not as much as the P1 statue. That one had several issues with it. Beginning with SS shooting a left handed bow, with his right hand. But in P1 defense, they were going by the source material which had the same issue. Then there was the issues with no swords appearing in the backpack when SS was shooting a bow. I spoke to Ant at length about that. They got that right with this SS which is great.

*sigh*
CyberSteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #47
supermetroid
Teen Titans

If you like it I wouldn't hesitate with SS doing the transaction and distribution.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #48
KELPIE
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
But they are really going for thta cartoon simplicity. The problem is for $530 you don't want cartoon simplicity do you??
Yes, I do

Agreed, I'd rather it cheaper, however $530 for a 1/4 does seem cheap compared to current prices from other 1/4's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
Its a statue based on a cartoon from 30 years ago. Its going to look like a statue based on a cartoon from 30 years ago in 2020. And as far as details this is what alot of people want. Something that is very close to the 80's animation. Seems like it hits all those notes to me. This is a statue being exactly what its supposed to be.
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I get the thinking of catering to nostalgia but He-Man is the Granddaddy of ALL other 80's cartoons and those built on selling toys.
It's strange because you don't imagine remembering He-Man with more details but you do the Transformers and for me the Joes especially.
As popular as He-Man was, I'd say that title goes to Transformers.

Also, as for visualising the property with more details, I'd say He-Man is very much split down the middle. The cartoon aesthetics with less details vs the toy aesthetics with more details.

Transformers didn't really have that issue in that the toys didn't really match the animation models at the time, so when you see a G1 TF statue, they are matching the animation model but throwing in random details. The details mainly coming in because of the recent attention brought on by the live action movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
But yeah Sideshow nailed bringing the very basic cartoon design into the real world.
Lion O says hi
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #49
qz33
Doctor Doom

Comparing these prices within the industry really doesn't matter. Stormshadow is about the price of Gladiator Hulk from 3 years ago.
For sure all companies have gone higher and PCS is still one of the lowest priced. So what?

What matters even more is how far all statue prices have outpaced other products.
This little statue is the price of a basic washer or dryer.

Ultimately even though it scratches the itch of a few this statue is too little for too much as far as appealing to the general population of potential customers.

People are never going to feel comfortable with trading the possibility of what else could be had with the same money for either the Transformers or G.I. Joe licenses to take off as a line.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #50
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Yeah statue prices have outpaced any other garbage made in China by a ridiculous magnitude higher. It could be the handmade nature of it, I don't know - or producers having little leverage over the factories.

The fact is, Storm Shadow could have been made 1/6 scale, half the price, and released in mid-2019 if they wanted to. I don't know why the insistence for everything being 1/4 or 1/3 scale. My expectations for those scales are now for greater levels of details than back in 2008. For nostalgic properties, anyway, they should go for breadth of characters and higher sales volume.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote