Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-15-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
Gothamite
Phoenix

StatueForum.com's Quick Guide to Statue Scales

There's a lot of confusion and mis-information about statue scales. The most common mistake is using overall height, counting the base, when determining scale. Instead, measure from the bottom of the foot heel to the top of the head for a true height. If a statue isn't standing or lying straight, measure the lower legs, the thighs, the torso, and the neck/head separately, then add each separate measurement for the true height.

--------------------------------------------------

Statue scales use a 6-foot tall person as a baseline reference.

6 feet = 72 inches

1/2 scale = 36 inches
1/3 scale = 24 inches
1/4 scale = 18 inches
1/5 scale = 14.4 inches
1/6 scale = 12 inches
1/7 scale = 10.3 inches ("Bowen" scale)
1/8 scale = 9 inches
1/9 scale = 8 inches
1/10 scale = 7.2 inches
1/11 scale = 6.55 inches
1/12 scale = 6 inches

Again, the base is not included when determining scale.

Don't let poses deceive you! Both of these statues are in the same scale (1/7).

Likewise, these DC Bombshells are both 1/7-scale, though Big Barda is appropriately larger than Black Canary.

Here are two pictures of DC Collectibles statues in 1/8-, 1/7-, and 1/6-scales:

Sometimes, companies will re-issue statues in different scales, such as the Cameron Stewart/Babs Tarr Batgirl of Burnside:

Here's a picture of a 1/5-scale Ryan Reynolds Hal Jordan and a 1/6-scale Christian Bale Batman:

Here's a picture showing a 1/4-scale Batman, a 1/3-scale Batman, and a 1/2-scale Wonder Woman:

--------------------------------------------------

Something else to bear in mind -- you can't measure a raised hand as part of a statue's "height".

For example, the Starfire on the left is not a larger scale than the Starfire in the middle!

Likewise, the Bombshells Wonder Woman Deluxe has an overall height of 18 inches, inclusive of the base and the raised sword. However, that doesn't mean it's a 1/4-scale statue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Been trying to get Bombshells Wonder Woman. The standard was $180 and the Deluxe was $130 at my local shop so went with the Deluxe version.

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Thank you very much for this posting it is very helpful
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
Gothamite
Phoenix

Note: I'm aware that statue companies might make some characters "too tall" or "too short", but that's another discussion altogether.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

boy there is quite a difference between the first Covergirls statue of Mere and the Joelle Jones Mera
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:18 AM   #5
ZenLogikos
Ultron
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
This Diamond Select Toys Premier Collection statue is 1/7-scale because Wolverine is 10-inches tall. Again, the base is not included when determining scale.
Except Wolverine isn't 6 feet tall (nor is he actually standing perfectly straight up there)...

So it's not 1/7, or Diamond is using an erroneous height for Wolverine.

Probably not wise to reference Diamond Select anyway. I'm not that familiar with them, but a quick check on BBTS for Magneto has a product description of a "12 inch scale statue" - which is gibberish, as scale is a ratio, not a specific height. It sounds similar to Bowen which had no set scale, but height requirements instead. That doesn't mean their statues didn't average out to a typical scale though (1/7, as you noted).
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:53 AM   #6
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
There's a lot of confusion and mis-information about statue scales. ...
Thanks also from me
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #7
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Except Wolverine isn't 6 feet tall (nor is he actually standing perfectly straight up there)...

So it's not 1/7, or Diamond is using an erroneous height for Wolverine.

Probably not wise to reference Diamond Select anyway. I'm not that familiar with them, but a quick check on BBTS for Magneto has a product description of a "12 inch scale statue" - which is gibberish, as scale is a ratio, not a specific height. It sounds similar to Bowen which had no set scale, but height requirements instead. That doesn't mean their statues didn't average out to a typical scale though (1/7, as you noted).
I understand your concerns, but statue companies have been fudging Wolverine's height upwards for a long while now.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Note that these are references. If everything is done to comic book scale, imagine what size Galactus would have to be. Expect exceptions to the rules.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #9
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod View Post
Note that these are references. If everything is done to comic book scale, imagine what size Galactus would have to be. Expect exceptions to the rules.
A forum member got teased pretty hard for wanting a 1/4-scale Godzilla.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
ZenLogikos
Ultron
Adamantium Member

Quote:
I understand your concerns, but I wanted to include some variety in the photos (not just DC characters, lol).

I've switched to a picture of a statue standing straight.
You've done an excellent job with this.

'Scale talk' is a pet peeve of mine. In a thread dedicated to correcting misinformation, I'm just trying to help to be as clear as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod View Post
Right, which is why Sideshow Galactus could be described as a non-scale statue, or alternatively, a statue "the size of a 'typical' 1/2 scale statue".
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote