Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #21
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Them there beautiful shiny LP looking things were way ahead of their time.
Did you buy into the Capacitance Electronic Disc format as well?
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #22
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Did you buy into the Capacitance Electronic Disc format as well?
no, those were a bit before my time. I remember them being demo'd as a kid though in the AV stores but I can't say I ever sat down and watched one of them outside of that.

By the time I really started collecting movies VHS was the dominant format and LaserDisc was a fringe product. The difference in AV quality between the two was staggering to me and I've always been a home theater enthusiast so I built a nice collection of LD's before the format gave way to DVD. It helped that I managed a video store out of high school and could order anything I wanted at retail. I loved the attention put into the LD jacket artwork, box sets and the special editions, especially those put out by Criterion. I still own all of them and even have my player hooked up to my current system. My Criterions, original cuts of Star Wars and Extended Cuts of films like The Abyss (which still hasn't been released in any other format) are my favorite titles.

As far as Mask of the Phantasm goes, I own the DVD and the LD and the Laser is the superior of the two IMO from a pure AV standpoint. I haven't busted it out in years but it's kind of sad that it really is what I'll be replacing with this BD.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #23
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I had this back on VHS! Heh, I'll be picking this one up, for sure.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #24
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
no, those were a bit before my time. I remember them being demo'd as a kid though in the AV stores but I can't say I ever sat down and watched one of them outside of that.

By the time I really started collecting movies VHS was the dominant format and LaserDisc was a fringe product. The difference in AV quality between the two was staggering to me and I've always been a home theater enthusiast so I built a nice collection of LD's before the format gave way to DVD. It helped that I managed a video store out of high school and could order anything I wanted at retail. I loved the attention put into the LD jacket artwork, box sets and the special editions, especially those put out by Criterion. I still own all of them and even have my player hooked up to my current system. My Criterions, original cuts of Star Wars and Extended Cuts of films like The Abyss (which still hasn't been released in any other format) are my favorite titles.

As far as Mask of the Phantasm goes, I own the DVD and the LD and the Laser is the superior of the two IMO from a pure AV standpoint. I haven't busted it out in years but it's kind of sad that it really is what I'll be replacing with this BD.
Don't worry I am sure LaserDisc will be the next format that Mondo gives a "hipster-resurrection" to
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #25
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Don't worry I am sure LaserDisc will be the next format that Mondo gives a "hipster-resurrection" to
I could totally see that.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #26
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Down to $17.99 @ Amazon.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #27
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Down to $17.99 @ Amazon.
$9.99 or NOTHING!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #28
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

normally I'd be with you but this is a day 1 purchase for me so I've already pre-ordered it. It's in my top 3 most wanted BD catalog titles along with The 13th Warrior and The Abyss. Good chance this drops again between now an the 25th too.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #29
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I hear you. This is a definite buy for me, although not day 1. I'll wait a bit see if it drops some more, or just wait until it drops to the "see spot".

Your list must be tiny by now. Anything else besides those three left on it? The Abyss will most likely come out next year for the 30th Anniversary. It's taken them this long, they can wait another year. The 13th Warrior on the other hand.. You might be better off looking for a region free import at this point. Who owns the rights to that one? Is it a Dimension title, I can't remember anymore.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #30
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

My list has definitely reduced over time but I actually still think it's pretty big. Outside of the two mentioned I can think of these off the top of my head, but there may be a few more I can't recall at the moment...
  • The Black Hole
  • Suspiria (though I do own the Japanese import)
  • The Hitcher ('86)
  • The Beastmaster
  • Dragonslayer
  • True Lies
  • Open Range
  • The Beach
  • The Keep
  • Rush (w/ Jason Patric)
  • Blood In, Blood Out (Bound by Honor)
  • Amongst Friends
  • A Bronx Tale
You may be right about The Abyss, but I'll believe it when I see it and it better be the extended cut given how long they've made us wait.

I do believe the rights for The 13th Warrior are owned by Dimension. The only decent import that I'm aware of is a German one with forced subtitles, which is a no go for me. The wait continues....