Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 03-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
chrisw
Frackin!

Advice on eBay damage please

Was really looking forward to opening up Eric Soza’s Green Goblin today. Got it off eBay for an ok ish £235 inc delivery from France to UK - just over $300. The statue was pretty manky, but worse there’s a small breakage on the rocket exhaust not mentioned, and the broken piece wasn’t in the styrofoam. My guess is it was damaged when separating the peg from its surround - so the guy knows what’s happened but didn’t raise it before dispatch. He has 100% rating and is offloading Bowens. Am I right to think a partial refund is in order against the damage?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Statue-bo...rdt=true&rt=nc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	500.4 KB
ID:	128940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1589.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	600.1 KB
ID:	128941  
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Kind of hard to see but you can see the breakage in the pic from the sale page. Probably why they didn't post more pictures from other angles of it.

It sucks he didn't mention it to you directly or in the description. Hard to see unless you know it is there.

jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
chrisw
Frackin!

Wow I did not spot that! His listing was in French so I used Google Translate, even so, no mention. I was gonna contact him and ask to knock maybe 10-20% off (which does not reflect my disappointment) as I didn't want to just leave negative feedback, but I see his rating has suddenly dropped to 75% so looks like I'm not the only one.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
Wow I did not spot that! His listing was in French so I used Google Translate, even so, no mention. I was gonna contact him and ask to knock maybe 10-20% off (which does not reflect my disappointment) as I didn't want to just leave negative feedback, but I see his rating has suddenly dropped to 75% so looks like I'm not the only one.
I wouldn't have noticed it either from that picture if I had looked at his listing. It is very easy to spot once you know where to focus on. I bet that is why there are no pictures from the back of the statue. I am sure he knew it was like that and just never mentioned it.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

It looks like you already gave negative feedback on this transaction. Did you already request a partial refund and it was declined?
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:53 PM   #6
PeachFuzz
A day without sunshine is like... night.

The two Bowen Goblin on glider statues left a lot to be desired but the museum Goblin was one of the best statues Bowen produced.
PeachFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
chrisw
Frackin!

In progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
It looks like you already gave negative feedback on this transaction. Did you already request a partial refund and it was declined?
I felt it was important to act quickly as he's unloading Bowens as fast as he can, lying (he's claiming there's no damage) and imo will be done with eBay once he's offloaded. So it's with eBay presently. Really appreciate the graphic - thanks! Will let you know how it progresses but be wary of this guy.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #8
chrisw
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachFuzz View Post
The two Bowen Goblin on glider statues left a lot to be desired but the museum Goblin was one of the best statues Bowen produced.
I think the Eric Sosa Goblin is fantastic - the musculature, maniacal face, twisted pose etc really captures Romita's Goblin. The Kucharek museum is nice but almost a little bland and too 'chunky'. The Kuntz version is terrible imo - unworthy of Bowen's art direction. I'm sure there's an interesting story as to how we ended up with two glider Goblins on near identical bases.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
chrisw
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
I wouldn't have noticed it either from that picture if I had looked at his listing. It is very easy to spot once you know where to focus on. I bet that is why there are no pictures from the back of the statue. I am sure he knew it was like that and just never mentioned it.
Yeah I agree - the breakage is where it comes apart, so I figured he'd maybe damaged it getting it ready to send or in transit, but the missing piece wasn't in the styro and the photo shows otherwise. It was also *filthy* but I maybe expected as much, being photographed in what looks like a bar. Given his subterfuge, lying and idiotic denials I asked for 50% reduction as the statue is basically unsellable. He's still denying it was damaged so we'll see. The whole episode has really put me off using eBay.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #10
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
Yeah I agree - the breakage is where it comes apart, so I figured he'd maybe damaged it getting it ready to send or in transit, but the missing piece wasn't in the styro and the photo shows otherwise. It was also *filthy* but I maybe expected as much, being photographed in what looks like a bar. Given his subterfuge, lying and idiotic denials I asked for 50% reduction as the statue is basically unsellable. He's still denying it was damaged so we'll see. The whole episode has really put me off using eBay.
Did it come with the original box? I was just wondering if this person bought a bar and the statues were already there since they look like they may have been displayed there. You said it was filthy. He may not have even known it was broken due to not knowning much about the statue. But the photo he placed on eBay clearly shows it was.