Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 05-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
all the Shows in LA are the same as Frank and Sons but you pay to get in , plus you pay 25% more the what you usual pay at Franks
I am almost willing to agree with this, except there's no artist alley to speak of at F & S's. Other than that, and you may have a point.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
AnnnaMot
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I am almost willing to agree with this, except there's no artist alley to speak of at F & S's. Other than that, and you may have a point.
There last two shows were like that 90% frank and sons and the rest out of states venders
AnnnaMot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
There last two shows were like that 90% frank and sons and the rest out of states venders
But don't you think that could be said of almost any Con? I mean, I'm sure every Con is filled with 90% local vendors, and the rest made up of out of state vendors, don't you think?

I go to Cons nowadays, to look for cool prints, get sketches and talk to artists. I also like to talk to some of the "celebrities" they have at these Cons, comic related and otherwise. I only buy art related stuff or trades when I go to Cons these days. So, I can see your reasoning, but at least for myself I feel I get my money's worth. It's also fun to be around other people with similar interests, it's a different vibe than at F & S's, which is really just about shopping. Don't get me wrong, I love F & S's, been going there for about 15 years. But personally, I enjoy the Cons, local and otherwise.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
AnnnaMot
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
But don't you think that could be said of almost any Con? I mean, I'm sure every Con is filled with 90% local vendors, and the rest made up of out of state vendors, don't you think?

I go to Cons nowadays, to look for cool prints, get sketches and talk to artists. I also like to talk to some of the "celebrities" they have at these Cons, comic related and otherwise. I only buy art related stuff or trades when I go to Cons these days. So, I can see your reasoning, but at least for myself I feel I get my money's worth. It's also fun to be around other people with similar interests, it's a different vibe than at F & S's, which is really just about shopping. Don't get me wrong, I love F & S's, been going there for about 15 years. But personally, I enjoy the Cons, local and otherwise.
Your right , the only things I look for at cons are the new toys coming up and I do he-man cel .I kind of got bored with comics , I wish I had stopes sooner 20+ long boxes are hard to move when you have kids
AnnnaMot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
nicknamehere
Doh!

I went to this con for 2 days and had a great time. I liked the fact that it wasn't as ridiculously crowded as SDCC can and does get.

It was my first con though, so I really have no comparison. That, and I really only hovered around Artist Alley the entire time for prints/scommissions and chatted with the people there.

I have to agree though, the vendors overpriced everything. I really couldn't justify any purchase in that area.

As for the celebrities, it was definitely more movie/video focused than comic focused, so I didn't pay too much attention to that either.
nicknamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #16
xXx
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Definitely not crowded! and not the Best California Convention, but, it was nice hanging out in the Artist Alley and talking to some of the artist, I did pick up some Black and White Prints from Jason Metcalf, Pretty cool Concepts, He had prints he referred to as the moment after, Such as the moment after the Defenders Comic Cover #9, in which the Original cover has Ironman pinning down Hawkeye to the ground and in the Background the Hulk, Dr. Strange and the Sub-Mariner are coming in behind him. Metcalf's Moment after now has Ironman in the Hulk's Grasps, with the Sub-Mariner standing next to the Hulk and Dr.Strange floating above him. and Hawkeye about to Shoot an arrow at Ironman as the Hulk is Holding him.
Picked up a second Moment after of the Invaders #33 Cover, Metcalf's Version now has Thor Standing over the Invaders, who are now all Beaten and lying on the Ground around Thor.
What was really nice was that Metcalf's colorist, Jeff Balke, was three aisles over, I was having him color in some of the print to add a little color. I had to leave it with him and have him send it to me later, the Convention was closing and he was running out of time! What was nice, he had Thor 90% colored and it was looking Fantastic!! Look forward to getting these next week!!

Also, spoke to Reb Brown! I never saw him at any Conventions before! So, went over and thanked him for playing Captain America and that I really enjoyed watching My favorite Avenger on TV as a kid. I did ask if he was doing a cameo in the New Captain America Film, unfortunately he said he wasn't asked but he would have liked to.

Tat-s, pm me if your still looking for the Avenger cards you asked about!
Attached Thumbnails
invaders1975series33.jpg   Defenders1972series9.jpg  
xXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
xXx
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

also, forgot, one Vendor did have the New MU Captain America figures and Green Lantern Movie figures. Too expensive for me! but, look forward to finding them in the stores in a couple of weeks!
xXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXx View Post
also, forgot, one Vendor did have the New MU Captain America figures and Green Lantern Movie figures. Too expensive for me! but, look forward to finding them in the stores in a couple of weeks!
I also asked about a few figures he had, but they were waaay over priced.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #19
Tattoo-S
Mrs. Wookie~'Venger's Girl~GORE Princess~Silly Sister~Beast Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXx View Post
Tat-s, pm me if your still looking for the Avenger cards you asked about!
Message Sent....Thanks. Nice pick ups BTW. Love Metcalfs work and some other nice stuff. Glad you had a good time. Sometimes those things don't always work out. Wish we could have gone ourselves, but you know...........all that!
Tattoo-S is offline   Reply With Quote