Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #551
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Maybe Thanos and Deadpool will have very low runs and become uber grails. Personally I'm not paying that kinda money with TBD editions when there's a good chance I can get it later for less.

You guys are arguing supply vs demand and what I'm saying is they are killing the demand by out pricing us while increasing the supply.

...also note that I'm taking this stance more on Deadpool than Thanos. I need to see Thanos first.
I'm not arguing supply vs demand. I'm simply stating that Sideshow's sales have increased considerably over the last couple of years even in light of higher edition sizes, higher prices, and increased competition in the marketplace. If what your saying was true, that they are killing demand by raising prices and raising edition sizes, Sideshow would be seeing a drop in sales and that just hasn't been the case at all. Again, if anything its just the opposite as they are continuing to see increases in sales even in light of larger ES's and prices.

So they are not killing the demand by raising prices and increasing supply. They may be losing a few customers here and there, but as I have stated in previous theads on sales, those people leaving are just being replaced by new buyers. So overall demand doesnt go down at all. Again, if anything idemand has just continuing to rise. All one needs to do is look at the Sideshow sales list that I posted. Thier sales have been EXTREMELY impressive and there have only been a small handful of statues that havne't sold out that those are mostly statues that weren't well liked by the community so those statues likely wouldn'thave sold well even if the ES and price were lower.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #552
adee
Green Arrow

I still think they are saturating the market with stuff OC. Just because they've been able to move their product after years of it being available on their site doesn't mean they are highly successful sales. I guess a sell out is a sell out no matter how long it may take and SS is a big enough company that time isn't as crucial to their bottom line but as a collector who continually upgrades and sells stuff to make room for new stuff SS is appealing to me less and less these days. It's easier to swallow at lower prices but at the rate they are going the secondary market will soon be non existent and we will all have to go in knowing that we're taking a loss if we ever decide to sell. That just isn't the kind of experience I'm looking for with collectables.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #553
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
It's easier to swallow at lower prices but at the rate they are going the secondary market will soon be non existent and we will all have to go in knowing that we're taking a loss if we ever decide to sell. That just isn't the kind of experience I'm looking for with collectables.
I think many people used to the old ways of collecting have a harder time accepting this. These are hardly collectible anymore if we are looking for items that appreciate in value/desirability like back in the day.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #554
adee
Green Arrow

Yeah I think SS may have jumped the shark for me personally. I'm not saying I'll never support them again but they have become a different kind of company with a different kind of collectible. I still think they have some of the most talented sculptors in the industry and create beautiful pieces, I just no longer have that got to have it now feeling with their stuff anymore. I'm very interested to see what happens with DP and soon Thanos. There is actually a chance the retail prices cause lower runs which would help the secondary market. I think I just need to try and look at my collection habits much differently at these price points.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #555
chu_11
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I'm not arguing supply vs demand. I'm simply stating that Sideshow's sales have increased considerably over the last couple of years even in light of higher edition sizes, higher prices, and increased competition in the marketplace. If what your saying was true, that they are killing demand by raising prices and raising edition sizes, Sideshow would be seeing a drop in sales and that just hasn't been the case at all. Again, if anything its just the opposite as they are continuing to see increases in sales even in light of larger ES's and prices.

So they are not killing the demand by raising prices and increasing supply. They may be losing a few customers here and there, but as I have stated in previous theads on sales, those people leaving are just being replaced by new buyers. So overall demand doesnt go down at all. Again, if anything idemand has just continuing to rise. All one needs to do is look at the Sideshow sales list that I posted. Thier sales have been EXTREMELY impressive and there have only been a small handful of statues that havne't sold out that those are mostly statues that weren't well liked by the community so those statues likely wouldn'thave sold well even if the ES and price were lower.

I totally agree with that. I feel that SS's business strategy is very successful so far as how they design their pricing and ES with EX/Reg. They are not afraid of setting high ES because for sure they have already analyzed the market and knew the demand level thus dictated their action to increase ES and price on both EX/Reg versions. They don't have to be afraid of increasing ES because after a certain amount of unit of statues sold, the profit for the rest would be extremely high and regardless of how long it takes, highly possibly they would sold out one day so that would still be a gain for them.

And I do feel that there are a lot of new collectors pouring into the statue collecting field as well as you can tell by the increase of competition.
chu_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #556
chu_11

Quote:
I still think they are saturating the market with stuff OC. Just because they've been able to move their product after years of it being available on their site doesn't mean they are highly successful sales. I guess a sell out is a sell out no matter how long it may take and SS is a big enough company that time isn't as crucial to their bottom line but as a collector who continually upgrades and sells stuff to make room for new stuff SS is appealing to me less and less these days. It's easier to swallow at lower prices but at the rate they are going the secondary market will soon be non existent and we will all have to go in knowing that we're taking a loss if we ever decide to sell. That just isn't the kind of experience I'm looking for with collectables.
I think you are certainly right, I think SS's goal is to saturate the market which is normal at the business stand point. By increasing price and ES which leaves less opportunity to flip the statues at higher prices due to budget constraint.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #557
chu_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
I think many people used to the old ways of collecting have a harder time accepting this. These are hardly collectible anymore if we are looking for items that appreciate in value/desirability like back in the day.
This is what makes people upset as well. Premium Collectibles (high quality and price) are supposed to be valuable (at least to my interpretation). When looking at the 9500 ES for Reg version statues, I am like this is not collectibles in the Premium sense anymore, this is just another regular hot toys. When it is mass produce to this extend, the feeling of limited edition becomes less meaningful.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #558
chu_11

Quote:
Yeah I think SS may have jumped the shark for me personally. I'm not saying I'll never support them again but they have become a different kind of company with a different kind of collectible. I still think they have some of the most talented sculptors in the industry and create beautiful pieces, I just no longer have that got to have it now feeling with their stuff anymore. I'm very interested to see what happens with DP and soon Thanos. There is actually a chance the retail prices cause lower runs which would help the secondary market. I think I just need to try and look at my collection habits much differently at these price points.
This is related to some of the collectors here expressing that they will become more selective on purchasing future pieces due to what you described. Not many of us can afford the price and at the same time, they amount of pieces they pump out each year just under Marvel & DC alone. As there are so many choices with higher ES (more chance to acquire them in the future), then we become more selective on what we can acquire.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #559
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Above All View Post
why is it so hard to get a prototype picture?

I think for this one Disney was saying they can't show anything until it is 100% done. Which I guess it isn't.

As far as pricing... well... ya this will be expensive. He may also be one of the last statues I buy because of that. Only so much a guy can do.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #560
adee
Green Arrow

I'm going to have to really really love it to even consider a PO. Between Igo's warning and Deadpool I have a strong feeling the price tag is going to make me scoff.