Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Izadorio
Doh!

Leaning issues with Scarlet Witch (exclusive)

My first post on here ever, so bear with me.
I recently started to notice my Scarlet Witch "exclusive version" FS appeared to be leaning to one side. After closer inspection I realized that she appears to be bending right around the calf/ankle area. I can only assume this was caused by a combination of both the weight of the cape and the lovely HOT California weather recently. Has anyone else had this kind of issue with their statue or any other piece, is their anyway fesable of correcting this? Now of my other pieces are having any issues of this kind. Thanks ahead of time for any replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130709_205003.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	755.7 KB
ID:	79431   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130709_204911.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	79432   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130709_205013.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	660.9 KB
ID:	79433  
Izadorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
XMAN
Ultron

This happened with my Vega pf.
Problem corrected by using a blow dryer on the ankles. Hold the piece sidesways so it gravitates the other way.....don't do it all at once .....little bit at a time and let it cool between times.
Good luck.
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN View Post
This happened with my Vega pf.
Problem corrected by using a blow dryer on the ankles. Hold the piece sidesways so it gravitates the other way.....don't do it all at once .....little bit at a time and let it cool between times.
Good luck.
Good advice
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I think this is down to the peg not being long enough or the material not being strong enough. I happens on larger pieces or pieces where the balance is not perfect or symmetrical. It should be an easy fix but its likely to reoccur.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I think this is down to the peg not being long enough or the material not being strong enough. I happens on larger pieces or pieces where the balance is not perfect or symmetrical. It should be an easy fix but its likely to reoccur.
"Gravity"; the greatest and most silent enemy of any statue.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

it could be the resin, for example the Medusa FS from bowen is a very very soft resin. Its almost plastic. When i took a hair dryer to the one i customised to get the head to pop off from the glue, the resin just started to melt and stretch. So this could be the same.

While some resins like Sideshow ROgue, and Psylocke are polystone and hitting them with a hair dryer made them get hot as hell but no stretching to them. So was more stone in them then resin.

So if this is the case, its the resin and in time will sag.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
statuemonger
Sailor Moon

Wow

Bowen may no longer be my go to company but from a quality standpoint they were always rock solid. This is not only surprising but also completely unacceptable. I would complain, I feel they will do what is right unlike some other companies.

John M.
statuemonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
farrisvt
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Gravity, she is a harsh mistress.

-The Tick-
farrisvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
xdoctor
Doh!

just yesterday, by chance, i noticed my Scarlet leaning a little on her right side.
At the beginning i thought she had always been like that and i hadn't realized it (strange...i've always been very careful in choosing my statues but vision troubles come with age)...but now, maybe influenced by the images, she looks more and more to me like the one in the pics...and clearly worsened in a single day
It's hot in Rome (Italy) in these days but we are not melting like it happened in past years (but in the past she wasn't part of my collection)
I'm so pissed off!
xdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
jacksowl
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I've heard about this problem with several of the exclusive scarlett witch statues. Apparently the cape is too heavy for the single peg and her slim legs. unfortunatley not much you can do but use a hair dryer on low to correct the lean. This sculpt was a great idea from Bowen the the QC or anticipation of this issue was not considered. There is always the regular version which I actually like better
jacksowl is offline   Reply With Quote