Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 09-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
archery
A day without sunshine is like... night.

The XM Studios hype train is out of control.....

Like most of you, I've just recovered from the awesome reveals at STGCC. I've finally boarded the XM hype train and preordered a few things. I've paid deposits + Singapore friend fees, but I've just realised, some of the pieces I've ordered haven't been painted yet. None of them have release dates. And the prices I'm paying as a non-Asian collector are INSANE.

Maybe I'm wrong, and XM will start shipping every batch of every new statue at the rate of two a month and clear the massive backlog of newly announced pieces. But if they want to maintain their QC, I think this is very unlikely.

Don't get me wrong, they've given Sideshow the kick up the rear end they sorely needed. They're giving secondary characters the treatment they deserve and in some pieces (e.g. Electro) I'm seeing Bowen done in 1/4 scale which puts a huge smile on my face.

My advice to XM: Get your house in order before you start taking people's money. Show fully painted pieces with official pictures on your website and provide realistic estimated release dates. I think collectors will be a lot less forgiving about delays when your statues cost non-Asian customers more than twice what your competitors charge.

Also drop your European distribution partner and find a new one. Their website stinks, their prices would make hardened flippers blush and they are now requiring 100% payment upfront for a number of pieces put on their website today. 1400 EUR for Cable? What are they smoking?
archery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Why would they change anything about their process when they have been so successful? You said it yourself, "change in house order before taking people's money" while just a few sentences before you say you have pre-ordered things based on WIPs.

Not XM's fault that the public is willing to pay.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
AC_808
Hercules

All I gotta say is ....welcome to insanity!

I've been a part of this since XM Magneto.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Ok, let me get this straight...you're lecturing XM because YOU decided to drop some cash with some guy in Singapore on pieces that haven't officially gone up for PO yet? That's XM's fault how?
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
Ok, let me get this straight...you're lecturing XM because YOU decided to drop some cash with some guy in Singapore on pieces that haven't officially gone up for PO yet? That's XM's fault how?
I'm sayin
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Silly forum subject. You can't blame others for your actions.
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
archery
A day without sunshine is like... night.

XM were taking deposits at STGCC and now XM's exclusive EU distributor is doing the same on their website for the same statues. That's official as far as I'm concerned.

Also, not blaming XM for any decisions I made. What I don't want to see is companies taking deposits on works in progress without a release date. None of us benefit if that becomes the norm because of XM's current success.

Even PCS have the courtesy to give me a completely inaccurate release date before they take my money.
archery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #8
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Every company gives inaccurate delivery dates.
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
SONICobra
Batman

if you dont like it, dont order
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by archery View Post
XM were taking deposits at STGCC and now XM's exclusive EU distributor is doing the same on their website for the same statues. That's official as far as I'm concerned.

Also, not blaming XM for any decisions I made. What I don't want to see is companies taking deposits on works in progress without a release date. None of us benefit if that becomes the norm because of XM's current success.

Even PCS have the courtesy to give me a completely inaccurate release date before they take my money.
Well, the only thing I can say is...wait till XM officially puts up the PO on their website if you are too concerned about your money being given freely of your own will for statues without an official release date.

Furthermore, let's settle something right here...right now. There are no firm release dates...like...at all. Everything is guestimated, but these dates are often pushed back with an unknown actual release date. Look at PCS Robocop for instance....or better yet...Lord of Darkness. So you'd rather pay them up front just because they gave you a bs release date...only to not get the statue a year after the original release date?? This does not compute for myself.

The only thing you should try to get on the hype train for is exclusives. Everything else you WILL be able to get. Just wait until the official PO on XM website when they have pics up and all the details of the statue. Your main concern should only be the XM exclusives...and maybe a big A list character like Venom or Batman or something. Otherwise, you should be fine waiting.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote