Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Anime/Manga

Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
premium_substit
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

New Kenshin series & Live-Action Movie

As some of you may know, there is a new Rurouni Kenshin (aka Samurai X) TV anime series in the works, it has already been green-lit. It is not known at this stage if it is a Remake of the original series, or if it is a continuation and will follow the rest of the manga (the original TV series deviated after the kyoto/shishio arc due to the TV series catching up with, and airing, the same time the Manga material was being written).. either way, I am pumped! Kenshin is probably my all-time favourite Manga & Anime series

Also for more Kenshin goodness.. for those who don't know, there is a Kenshin live-action movie in the works! It has already started filming. I know anime (turned live action) movies are normally a disaster but I really have faith in this 1 for a few reasons. First of all, the creator of the manga is supporting both the movie and the cast, and is even helping write it. Secondly it will have a strong budget, as Warner Brothers (Japan) are producing it, and they are even wanting to release it Worldwide as they are hoping for International success, and are already in hopes of creating a series of movies. I also think the actor they have chosen is dead-on Kenshin. The actor does look a little femminine, but Kenshin is meant to have a soft/young/gentle look. of course this transforms in an instance when he becomes the Battousai (aka "Man Slayer"), but don't worry, the actor (Takeru Sato) has portrayed a Samurai in a TV show and he was great. Even the creator's sentiment was that the actor "has the looks and stature to be a proper Kenshin."

Actually the creator of the manga was approached quite a few times from Hollywood over the years (with generous offers), but he said he wasn't interested as he wanted it to be exact to the source material (ie. not another Dragonball movie ). Also they've held off until now, because CGI and fiming techniques are finally where they want it to be. They've put alot of thought and care into it, and have the right people involved. Trust me, it is all sounding good

Lastly, I am hopoing for Hot Toys to pick up the license upon release. I know it's getting ahead of myself, but realistically I can already see them picking this 1 up. For starters it will be huge in Asia - and the US, Australia, Europe etc will love it as well. They also picked up Goemon which is a similar type of movie (and Kenshin will be bigger!), so if Hot Toys give the same treatment to kenshin it would be great. Also Enterbay did Storm Warriors which is a similar style of movie, so I'm sure we will see some cool stuff released. Need to see the movie first, but I really do have faith

Both the anime series & the Movie are set to be released in 2012.
premium_substit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
jollyskeleton
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Thats great news!
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
premium_substit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyskeleton View Post
Thats great news!
I think so !

I guess kenshin is the anime series I am most sentimental about..

Thanks for reading

If I find anything worthwhile I'll update this thread too (even if no-one reads, I need to let it out - really looking foward to this).. but at least we have more Kenshin goodness on the horizon
Old 09-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
jollyskeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium_substit View Post
I think so !

I guess kenshin is the anime series I am most sentimental about..

Thanks for reading

If I find anything worthwhile I'll update this thread too (even if no-one reads, I need to let it out - really looking foward to this).. but at least we have more Kenshin goodness on the horizon
Definitely please do share. I was just thinking about it recently and then I saw your post. Would be nice to see it back again
Old 09-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Darth_Ryan
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

This is great news!!! I love Samurai X!
Darth_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:38 AM   #6
premium_substit

Update Numero 1

From here on this thread could have "spoilers". I will not spoil plot lines etc, just maybe some set and cast (in outfit) pics

These photos are from the set of Kenshin:

The outside of the Dojo:

The inside of the Dojo:

and the best for last

Kenshin's sakaba sword and Sanasouke's Zanba sword. Confirmation of Sansouke! Now I just hope for Saito, and Soujiro (a favourite of mine - but doubt they'll tap into that in the 1st movie).. but give me Saito and I am happy

and it is all looks close to source material! - bear in mind that on film it will all look more "natural" and dramatic (lighting etc), these are just set pics (not production pics). This movie has great potential, it has a beautiful story, the samurai theme and mentality can really be tapped into here.

The manga creator watching the set to make sure it all goes accordingly :

Old 09-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #7
jollyskeleton

Brilliant!! Its a go ahead!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
premium_substit

Yes it is!

and here who is playing Kaoru, her name is Emi Takei:

I should also mention that I read in an interview the actor playing Kenshin is a big fan of the series, having grown up with it in high school, and knows it is a big task/responsibility and wants to do the role justice
Old 09-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
premium_substit

Okay, we've had a movie update, now how about an Anime update

According to the Japanese site Comic Natalie, the new kenshin series will be a new two-part remake of the Kyoto arc, with the first part coming out in Japan in December.. All the cast will be the same for the Japanese version except for Saito.. Saito, Shishio, Aoshi etc will all be returning.. it will have the same musical composers too which is great cuz I loved the track they did for the anime series.. new writer this time though.. but i'm sure it will be great, Kyoto was the best stuff! taken straight from the manga.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #10
darkdealx
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Yes, yes, yes!
darkdealx is offline   Reply With Quote