Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 04-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #141
Asgard
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I'm not a Thor fan
I don't even like Thor comics
My favorite text from the Avenger movie - Iron Man vs. Thor:
"Shakespeare in the park? Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

But this statue is so cool.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #142
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
XM Studios News

- XM Modern Thor 1/4 statue - Edition Size 499 -

"Next Wednesday, 08.04.2020 we will open the PreOrder for the the God of Thunder. The very skies tremble in his presence. He commands the mystical hammer Mjolnir to protect Asgard and Earth. He is the son of Odin, Prince of Asgard. He is the God of Thunder. He is Thor."

XM Studios Premium Collectibles Facebook

GHeroes European Master Distributor Facebook

This is truly a great concept/effort from XM, and once again are pushing the hobby forward. However, the execution falls a little short for me.

First, Thor’s face/gaze is unfocused, and stares nowhere, making him look demented, rather than angry. And the battle cry expression seems unnecessary , as the battle is already won. So a stoic expression, about to deliver the killing blow, would have been more fitting for the God of Thunder.

The hilt of his hammer is too short, he is gripping it way too close to the hammer head, and his fingers gripping the hammer lack tension?!?! And as many mentioned, he should have perhaps been placed slightly higher up, for better viewing, and his arms positioned, so the pending hammer blow/movement is clearly visible.

Other than that, an excellent statue.

P.S. I also think that the statue would have been vastly improved by depicting a billowing cape, predominately to one side, conveying movement, and suggesting the blowing winds of war.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #143
Nebulhym
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
This is truly a great concept/effort from XM, and once again are pushing the hobby forward. However, the execution falls a little short for me.

First, Thor’s face/gaze is unfocused, and stares nowhere, making him look demented, rather than angry. And the battle cry expression seems unnecessary , as the battle is already won. So a stoic expression, about to deliver the killing blow, would have been more fitting for the God of Thunder.

The hilt of his hammer is too short, he is gripping it way too close to the hammer head, and his fingers gripping the hammer lack tension?!?! And as many mentioned, he should have perhaps been placed slightly higher up, for better viewing, and his arms positioned, so the pending hammer blow/movement is clearly visible.

Other than that, an excellent statue.

P.S. I also think that the statue would have been vastly improved by depicting a billowing cape, predominately to one side, conveying movement, and suggesting the blowing winds of war.
Funny how you scrutinize this "effort" yet accept any crap Greedshow throws at us!

Look at it this way: this Thor doesn't have "artistic" purple skin, black teeth or a crappy fabric cape!

It's better in every possible way!
Nebulhym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #144
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

I don’t know about that. I own sideshow Thor it’s based on Esad Ribic art which is spot on in colour any all other ways . I don’t like fabric but this sculpted cape is whole statue . It’s a bad pose . Paint looks amazing too bad they chose worst angle ever to make hammer invisible . Easy pass
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #145
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
I don’t know about that. I own sideshow Thor it’s based on Esad Ribic art which is spot on in colour any all other ways . I don’t like fabric but this sculpted cape is whole statue . It’s a bad pose . Paint looks amazing too bad they chose worst angle ever to make hammer invisible . Easy pass
Posed looked pretty good on Conan. Maybe XM should've given Thor Stormbreaker instead.

Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #146
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

You’re not understanding . This statue has to be displayed high up to see Thor which makes hammer invisible . Eye level or lower you won’t see Thors face well. It was poor choice for displaying .
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #147
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
You’re not understanding . This statue has to be displayed high up to see Thor which makes hammer invisible . Eye level or lower you won’t see Thors face well. It was poor choice for displaying .
I get what you're saying but you won't see the hammer at any level if you're looking at the statue from the front so displaying it high doesn't make a difference there. If he's displayed at an angle where you can see the hammer you should be able to put him on a level where his face is visible, but to your point, there is no way to see his full face and see the hammer at the same time. So yeah I kind of agree with you but only if seeing the hammer is super important.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:03 PM   #148
Kurtz
Fantastic Four

Most pieces will have some sort of display limitation, especially with a more dynamic pose. The last Weta Ringwraith (on steed) very much so but that didn't stop me from getting it. The same can be said for Sideshows last Thor piece. It is sculpture, not something meant to viewed from one angle only.
Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:57 AM   #149
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Agree 100%.
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:10 AM   #150
austintheng
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I think a similar issue is happening for XM Magik as well.. her soul sword is at the back of her which is a kind of missed opportunity to showcase her signature weapon..
austintheng is offline   Reply With Quote