Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 AM   #11
Dynaheir
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I got 7 black ones and was surprised to see them in store because they were not mentioned on the website.

2 quick shots to show how good the black Detolfs look (excuse the crappy quality, really bad lighting right now):

And to answer abarrons questions:
They are totally worth getting for the price. Each shelf holds up to 6kg although I read stories that people tripled the weight without breakage (wouldn't risk that).
And about the stories with shelves giving away, I read 2 or 3 about that. But I never read the glass breaking when loaded within their 6kg restriction nor did I read about the metal framing giving away.
The shelves were either overloaded, were put together incorrectly OR a shelf slipped thru on one side and crashed all the way down. Now this CAN happen if you're not placing them correctly or if they're exposed to a lot of vibration so they would move over time. Just check their position from time to time and you are safe.
Dynaheir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #12
imthkman
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Coca View Post
yes.I want the black one.
So did I. I spent several days sanding, priming, and then painting 5 of them black. It looks great. I never could understand how they didn't offer different colors in the first place. It's just laminate particle board. I'm going to take some pics today, since it's the first time I've had them displayed in actual cabinets. I used to have them on shelves in my unfinished basement.
imthkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #13
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthkman View Post
So did I. I spent several days sanding, priming, and then painting 5 of them black. It looks great. I never could understand how they didn't offer different colors in the first place. It's just laminate particle board. I'm going to take some pics today, since it's the first time I've had them displayed in actual cabinets. I used to have them on shelves in my unfinished basement.
I went the laborious route with just one, and only put it together last weekend! I'm consoling myself that my shiny black painted finish must be even better than 'brown/black'...
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #14
imthkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief View Post
I went the laborious route with just one, and only put it together last weekend! I'm consoling myself that my shiny black painted finish must be even better than 'brown/black'...
I think I underestimated the time it would take. I also didn't sand the first couple before priming. The spraypaint doesn't adhere as strongly if you don't. It looked fine, but is more prone to chipping/peeling if it's hit. It's amazing how fast you can put one together once you get the hang of it.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
I think I underestimated the time it would take. I also didn't sand the first couple before priming. The spraypaint doesn't adhere as strongly if you don't. It looked fine, but is more prone to chipping/peeling if it's hit. It's amazing how fast you can put one together once you get the hang of it.

Beautiful display.

I sanded and used melamine paint with a gloss roller. It's not a flawless finish, but it looks good. They are definitely easy to assemble.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #16
TheJoker
The Doh! has to go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Coca View Post
yes.I want the black one.
ditto
TheJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #17
imthkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief View Post
The first piece I painted was semi-gloss. It looked OK, but gloss is tough with spraypaint (can look uneven). I went to flat after that, and it turned out perfect. I hope the IKEA-made black matches closely to my "home-grown" versions.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #18
imthkman

Dynaheir, is the black glossy or flat?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #19
High Lord Apocalypse
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

is the black version even available in usa or just in europe?
High Lord Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:58 AM   #20
Dynaheir
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Dynaheir, is the black glossy or flat?
I'd say flat, well definately not glossy. Though not as flat as the SSW bases for example. And not as black either, more of a brownish black if that makes any sense.
Dynaheir is offline   Reply With Quote