Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

yeah, very nice recreations and the colors are great too.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
statman
Baron Zemo

Nice recreations! Nifty colors as well.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
jick
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinSD View Post
Jovi, dude those are really well done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
yeah, very nice recreations and the colors are great too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
Nice recreations! Nifty colors as well.
Thanks so much for the nice words. I also did this comparison of the different coloring jobs. Of course my coloring job is over my recreation so the linework may differ slightly especially since it is by brush.

The original cover colors are what works best for me, but was not too fond of the yellow.

The color (or lack therof) in the white background collected version is not my cup of tea.

The Showcase colors is perhaps the best done - I really love it. My only possible "beef" with it is that the way the ray lines are used to alternate the colors and make it look like stripes. It is a very artistic and beautiful rendering and usage of those lines - but I am not sure if that was the original intention of Neal Adams when he drew those lines.

So the reasoning behind my colors is to try to keep the intention of the original cover colors alive, while eliminating the yellow. It probably wouldn't make a good newsstand cover though since it is all different shades of one color - green. But who knows.
jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
jick

The collector who commissioned me (my first paid commission) to do that Captain America cover finally got his art from FedEx all the way from my country (Philippines) and sent me this picture of the art beside the poster in his portfolio. Looks pretty cool to me. He said the art looks great in-hand and it is something he doesn't plan to let go of soon and will keep with him for a while. I feel a close connection to this art and it's cool to see it here.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
Magneto
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Great work!
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
jick

What started with other people asking me to do commissions for them was actually not a cover re-creation but a re-imagination of The Death Of Superboy from Legion of Super-Heroes 38 here in 1987.

(This is a clickable link straight to my CAF page of the image)

I have a nice childhood memory of this story, but the cover by Bill Sienkewicz really bothered me. This is his cover:

The cover had absolutely nothing to do with the story where Superboy dies in action absorbing all the energy of the Time Trapper's machine in order to save him Legion teammate but lose his life in the process. Here is an interior page from the story:

So I told myself - the cover doesn't reflect the amazing action of the issue. The characters are just silhouettes, and there is even a winged character not part of the story. So fast forward to 2012, or 25 years after the story was originally published, I did my own pencils and layouts for the story here:

I sent it to the original inker of the series from 1987, Mike DeCarlo, to ink. It was like a dream come true for me - to finally have the better cover of the issue that I imagined in my mind for these 25 years - and have the original inker ink over my pencils.

Upon seeing my layout, even Mr. DeCarlo himself said: "That [original] cover is really a lazy short-cut by Bill Sienkewicz; I like what you propose much better...". Then he said that my pencils were "nice" and that he has worked with professionals "worse than me" so they were pretty good for an amateur.

So finally the finished product was here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...77&GSub=129595

This got noticed by one of the most prolific Legion of Super-Heroes commissioner from CAF and he commissioned me for a piece. At that time, I didn't know what to do or what to charge since I am not a professional. I just told him I will do it, but this DeCarlo collaboration he will have digitally colored by a professional, and that he will also send me a super hi-res scan of my pencils once inked (which he is having a professional do also). That deal worked for me and him.

Then my second commission, which was actually my first ever to get paid for, was that Captain America cover recreation. It was a very difficult and detailed one because of the pencils tones.

Let me know if you guys have any other recreation suggestions - and no it doesn't have to be commissioned. Just something you think will be fun and nice to work one because the original art doesn't probably exist. That is why I did the GL 76 because someone suggested it.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

That's just terrific work Jovi
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
jick

That re-interpretation of the Legion 38 cover I did, which was inked by Mike DeCarlo caught the attention of one of the prominent Legion fans in CAF and he asked me to do a Legion version of the late Michael Turner's cover. I didn't know what to do because I have never charged for work so I ended up telling him to just take care of shipping and to send me a really hi-res scan when it is inked. The inker he commissioned would also digitally color my DeCarlo piece as his "payment". So it was like I traded my own art for a digital color commission.

Here is my take on Turner's cover, and this was my first ever time to do work for a CAF guy. (The Captain America was my second work for a CAF guy but was my first ever paid gig.)

And a comparison and work in progress pic:

No CAF link for this year because the owner is still having it inked and logos will be digitally added. So these are the raw pencils. The inker will ink over the pencils.

Last edited by jick; 11-04-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
Underdog07
Hercules

Very nice work
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
jick

Just a few updates:

-I haven't been posting art because my country's most widely circulated and read golf publication is going to publish an illustration I made of the top 3 golfers from the Philippines. I have been very busy with it over the past few days. Though I drew it comics style - in my own style, layout, and pose this time, I am not sure if it qualifies for this forum or should be posted here. I'll decide when I see the published work.

-A member asked me to do a recreation of a Marvelman page from the 80's. Seems to be a very interesting challenge and that is next up on my place. Once done, it will be colored digitally so I am pumped for that.

-I received the colored file of the Legion 38 re-imagination from Chirs Ivy (a professional with a nice resume of major titles in his hand) and will be posting it here soon. He also told me based on the scans that he is very excited to ink my pencils for the Identity Cris Legion X-men reimagination of Turner's classic cover that he will bump it up in his to-do list. I can't wait to get a hi-res scan of that - and once again have my own pencils inked by pros.

To date I have had:
-Pencils inked by Joe Rubinstein, Mike DeCarlo
-Complete works colored by Gerry Turnbull and Chris Ivy

On my plate I have:
-my first published illustration (it is golf though) coming soon
-my pencils to be inked by Chris Ivy

I think everything is going well and exciting times are ahead.

Anyone have any more commission or recreation or reimagination ideas? Let me know and I will try to work it out!