Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #491
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Story of my life with these classic events and runs... They are usually so underwhelming, time hasn't been kind to them. I'm looking at you Claremont Uncanny X-Men... I'm glad that i didn't go nuts and spend a 500 dolar on the Infinity box set now.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #492
protector2814
Phoenix

Well ... the Gauntlet story-line is only a piece of the Infinity Stones story, so I may have taken it out of context. If I culled thru my long boxes & pulled every Infinity Stones story & read them in order, like those w/ the $500 boxed-set can now do, it may stand up more. I agree with you that many of the "classics" haven't aged well, but there are plenty that have. I can read Silver & Bronze Spiderman & still really love the story telling along with a lot of the older FF stuff. Maybe I'll start a thread asking SF members which storylines from the past (20 years +) do they feel still stand tall?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:24 PM   #493
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I’m down for that challenge!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:47 AM   #494
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

The Joker: End Game HC 6/10 (it's basicly the new 52 Batman, vol. 7: End Game with other bat books tie ins)

And my Batman fasting of 2 years ends I'm back to Bat books again. The End Game was okish, some people talk about it like it's the best Batman vs Joker story but it's not. The best is Killing Joke, second place is The encounter in The Dark Knight Returns and i don't remember any significant 3rd Batman vs Joker story, moment etc.

The story is nothing i haven't seen before. The Joker, Jokerise the citizens of Gotham(this time with a virus and they don't die of laughter this time, they become smiling zombies lol) and Batman looks for a cure and ofcourse finds one and wins the day because Batman is always 3 steps ahead of everyone... It was too clean for my taste. I don't want to say Bat God but he was kind of like that... Saving every innocent person without casualties and lets face it, citizens becoming zombies that can be cured rather than dying of laughter is to keep the story clean cause they can't show such a mess murder in Batman so they tame Joker which i don't like.

I don't really feel the play of Batman and Joker being best friends and i don't like the fact Joker knowing the secret identities of everyone btw...

Old 06-01-2018, 05:27 AM   #495
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Rosario+Vampire Season II, vol. 1-14 7/10

It was fun, the begining was kind of meaningless lol before this, i read something really serious like ''A Silent Voice'' and afterwards of it, coming back to Rosario+Vampire SII was like kind of... it felt pointless and it was kind of a let down at the begining but later on there was a plot, it wasn't some random silly adventures anymore. I'm glad i didn't drop the manga after just 3 trades. It turned out something really fun later on.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:51 AM   #496
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Devilman, vol. 1 8/10

Go Nagai wrote and drew it in 1972 and thank God there was no comic code in Japan at the time unlike America.

Today's many comics and manga can't hold a candle on Devilman, it's amazing. Akira Fudo let his best friend Ryo put a devil in him with a black sabbath rituel so he can fight against devils who recently start to awake from their ice age slumber, and they are humanities arch enemies, what preys on humans. Only Akira has what it takes to control the devil inside him so he merges with a devil and with the devils powers, he fights against other devils. Akira and Ryo are demon hunters, and they don't hunt just the devils of their time, they go back at time and fight against demons in all of human history. There is nudity in this manga, you will see angel and devil boobs everywhere lol human boobs too, just boobs everywhere lol the angels at the begining of the manga had both boobs and dengling dicks btw lol and it's very unforgiving towards the innocent (yeah Baby that's the stuff ! ) high amount of gore.

I think i managed to describe it by giving the minimum spoiler. This manga mostly loses point over the art, in some panels the anatomy of characters are good, but in some panels the proportions are wrong, it looks weird.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:02 AM   #497
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Voices of Distant Star 7/10

It was ok, a very melecholic manga. I also watched the anime and anime was kind of better but i liked the character designs of manga better. I was lost at some panels because of the change at characters' hair color... I was like, is this still the same character talking or what lol It should also have pointed out the locasion, like now we are at earth, now we are at space ship whatever etc, that would be helpful, but not a big problem. Oh... the melencholy... two young people who actually in love with each other had to be seperated. The girl was chosen for a space military operation to pilot a mecha at the last year of Junior high... She went light years away, and her and boy's only communication was cellphone messages, as she went away the message arrivel time got longer like half a year, even one year etc... So they were trying to communicate and misarable and missing each other the whole manga. If you like to pour some missery on yourself time to time, this is the stuff for you... lol

Old 06-28-2018, 07:56 AM   #498
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Colored Tex, vol. 5: Delta Queen 8/10

This is as good as good old spagetti western goes in comics or should i say Fumetti format.

Tex and his friends Kit Carson, Tiger and Tex's son Kit Willer's another good adventure. A Ranger was killed at mississipi, the body was found in the river so Tex and his friends believed it's done by the crew of a gamblig ship called Delta Queen. They inflitirated in the ship and with the help of Cajun and some low class passangers, they took the revenge of their passed away fellow ranger. I'm kind of new to Tex, i learned that his son Kit Willer is half native american, that was nice. I think there is a sad story about Kit's mother there 'cause i never saw her around, may be this sad story was already told cause there are immense amount of Tex fummeti around here. I thought the new Colored Tex series was good opportunity to give it a go at this beloved classic character, so here we are. The nicknames Kit Carson and Tex gave each other were funny... Tex called kit ''Old Camel'' and Kit called Tex ''Devil'' such a lovely friendship....

Colored Zagor, vol. 2 7/10

It was about Vikings who lived in America in 19th century, they looked for their heritage in America The Vinland. The interesting thing is, there were no Vikings, especially the one with horned helmets, axes, shield and classic Viking ships especially in America... lol Vikings got tamed and turned christian and become Norvegians so long ago before 19th century. So the story was kind of silly, Guthrum, the chieff of Vikings of Vinland asked Zagor's help at searching for their friends and some ancient Viking ruins in Vinland (America). Cowboys and Vikings side by side kind of reminded me one of the old turkish films called ''Tarkan''. Chinese and Viking were teaming up in that film lol so Cowboys and Vikings were as crazy and fun as that. lol

Colored Zagor, vol. 3 8/10
The vol. 3 adventure was called ''Guitar Jim's Past'' It was a revenge story. Jim's mentor got killed by an powerful evil bussiness man so he wanted revenge and ended up Zagor's hut with a gun wound on his chest at the revenge process and Zagor helped him get his revenge 'cause he was an old friend.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #499
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Thor Simonson Omnibus 4/5

It took me a LONG time to get into this, and I mean a long time - like 600 pages. Not that I disliked the first half of the book, I just think I wasn't reading it through the right lenses if that makes sense. Like for me I need to understand the type of book I'm reading and some are more obvious than others. Some are horror - easy. Some are comedy - easy. This one to ME at least was a fantasy. But I kept reading it like a super hero book. Once I started reading it like a fantasy what with elves and magic and Nordic mythos and floating castles I LOVED it. I know I'm weird that way. But by the end I can see why this is seen as one of if not THE definitive Thor run. I loved it and I now want to read more Thor.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:05 AM   #500
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Orfani, vol. 4 8/10

Last week was my Italian comics reading week. Tex, Zagor and now Orfani. I even got some Dampyr, it has been 11 years since the last time i read Dampyr... Time flies by.

Orfani, vol. 4 was good. Humanity came to the alien planet to take their revenge for all those years a go's surprise attack from some kind of some very thick orbital laser, it killed so many. It was a massacre. Leader of the Orfani military team Ringo was thought dead so the rest of the team just took their orders to place some antena on the south and north pole of the Alien Planet to pin point this vanishing by will by using different frequncies kind of Alien's locations. Aliens attacked the bases which had Antenas, but eventually defeated.

If you like Halo, you will definetly dig this.