Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
ftrain1
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

My New York Comic Con Haul

I can't believe how hectic New York was all four days. Usually Thursday and Sunday tend to be more relaxed, but this year the con was filled every day. I was able to spend some quality time with some of the Aussie invasion (Ken, Terrence, Pia, and Ben) during the week as well as other SF members at Beer Authority. Here's my haul from NYCC:

Wolverine vs Deadpool by Rob Liefeld:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...78&GSub=150183

Wolverine by Tim Yates:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...73&GSub=150183

Wolverine by J. Scott Campbell:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...81&GSub=150183

Avengers vs Justice League Part 3 by Dave Bullock:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...85&GSub=150183

Thanos vs DC Trinity by David Finch:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...91&GSub=150183

Overall, NY was a great time as usual, but I was relieved at the end to finally be able to get a full night's sleep after the last day of the con.
ftrain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

That is some haul! Love the Dave Bullock piece. Not even going to ask what that Finch set you back! That is a fantastic piece of art!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Demona
Martian Manhunter

One of the best Finch commissions I've seen in years. Huge congrats!

The Avengers vs JL piece is coming along nicely. Still I feel bad for Ms Marvel getting a boot to the head. I only see GL getting his butt whomped from the JL side

Tim's Wolvie has a cool fun vibe to it.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs1162 View Post
That is some haul! Love the Dave Bullock piece. Not even going to ask what that Finch set you back! That is a fantastic piece of art!
That is sweet...and I agree...cant imagine the cost of a Finch comm...
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

great haul. the boot to the head is awesome! looks like liefeld was doing decent commissions at the show.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Fanboy
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Awesome stuff!

Was trying to nail down Liefeld for Deadpool and the timing just wasn't working out. Great job getting that piece.

My favorite is the Finch piece. no surprise it came out awesome. He's costly, but you get quality work.

Congrats!!
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
Underdog07
Hercules

Nice. Was the Finch an at home piece? Is it inked?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
ftrain1

Thanks! In the last Bullock matchup, GL is about to get kabonged hard by Thor to make up for Ms Marvel's head bonk. I'll be seeing him in the spring at the Asbury Park Con to finish it off. Tim definitely has a cute with attitude style in his kiddie sketches. I was fortunate to set up my Finch commission in Baltimore. I was amazed with how it turned out when Meredith handed it to me. He actually only charged me 3/4 body prices despite drawing full figs. He also threw in the inks without my asking, so that was also a huge surprise. Finch is always going above and beyond which is why I get a piece from him at every show I see him at. Fanboy, I was surprised to see that Liefeld didn't do Deadpool since we talked about it at the show. Although, someone told me later that he ended up no showing on Sunday. Was that true?
Old 10-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Fanboy
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrain1 View Post
Fanboy, I was surprised to see that Liefeld didn't do Deadpool since we talked about it at the show. Although, someone told me later that he ended up no showing on Sunday. Was that true?
Liefeld was not there early on Saturday. There was a sign on his table that read "Liefeld will be finishing all commissions in his hotel room. Will be here from 1-2 today". I've heard some horror stories about trying to get pieces from him that aren't done at shows and a number of artists told me don't leave it with him. I know he's not that popular amongst his peers, so not sure if it was that or they knew something more than just the stories I've heard.

Decided to wait in line for him. Was there at 12:30 and was third in line. Fast forward to 1:45...no Liefeld. Asked someone to hold my spot, ran to another artist that was lined up to do a character and they said they could work on it right then. Not passing up a definite for a Liefeld maybe. Went back a little later, no one is there and there is a message written in marker across his table. "Rob will be here today at 3:00 PM - show mgmt".

Was at another table at that time and I see Rob showing up sometime after 3 at his table. Planned to go over next and he was gone by 4.

Sign on his table on Sunday said he would not be there that day.

I tried to get it lined up and just kept getting told to come back later. So I just chalk it up to the Comic Gods didn't want it to be. Oh well...maybe on the next piece.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
ftrain1

Yeah, I knew about the late showing on Saturday. I had given him my sketchbook on Friday to work on my piece and was a little worried when he wasn't there in the morning on Saturday. Hopefully he hooks you up if you get him on your next project.