Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Phoenix Con Haul and Story

well, just got home from my 3rd day straight at the Phoenix Comic Con. whew. ill give as detailed write-up as possible to share my experience.

Day 1 started with my two boys and my good friend of 15 years, Vince (was in town just for the con). now, Vince has a temper problem and is currently taking medication for said problem, so, i was basically keeping my eyes on 3 kids. luckily, Thursday was beautiful! nobody was there. the con opened at 4. we had plenty of space and no lines for lots of artists. come to find out that a lot of artists and celebs didn't arrive until Friday or Saturday. wasn't really an issue. going into the con, i had a small list and didn't have anything set up for easy pickup. our first stop was Todd Nauck. what a champ! that guys is so nice and easy to talk to. i had him do a square on my Invincible headshot jam and asked him to devirginize my sketchbook. he did a wicked Zandale in the book.

Asher had set up a JLA layout and Superman from local artist Jim Hanna. we had a laugh because everyone wanted to charge Asher, an 11 year old, gobs of money for figures on the jam. we asked Neal Adams and his rep says "$700". i replied, "no, not the whole thing, just 1 figure". "that is for 1 figure". hilarious. luckily Todd did a figure on the jam for Asher for $50 and started a new headshot jam with a Nova. again, Todd was super nice and nothing but complimentary about my family. love that guy!

we spent a fair amount of time with Katie Cook. what a great gal. i had tried to setup something for this con but after talking about size and content, we decided that she would have it done by Abq Expo next month. still, hard to stay away from her badass little $5 watercolor pieces. we got a bunch of them. Wyatt got a Creeper (from Minecraft) and a Superman. Asher got a Peppermint Butler. on Friday, the wife (a teacher) opted for a few Dr. Seuss characters, and i got a piece of our labrador, Lisa, and a Superman/Zod piece in my new sketch book.

Day 2 was a bit busier, but, we got there early, so we still beat the crowds. this day was spent with the CGC people. now, I've never had anything slabbed at a convention. what a pain in the ass. of course, the CGC booth was in the 200 aisle and all the artists are in the 2000's. go figure. we got to be good friends with Andrew from CGC as he was witness to most of the signings Vince and i had done. over the course of the weekend, i had 8 books witnessed for CGC signature series. we had a blast talking to Arthur Suydam. what a character. i had him do a Merle on a TWD #109 blank. it turned out awesome. unfortunately i didn't take any pics of it, ill be sure to snap some when it comes back from CGC.

Day 3 was today, and was chaos. luckily Vince and i got there at 10 straight up when the con opened. The Walking Dead people all had their signings early today. i had Laurie Holden sign a TWD book, Chandler Riggs sign a TWD book, and had Rooker sign two books, the TWD blank that Suydam did and also was able to have Valentino sketch a Yondu on a GOTG blank i had as well. just so you know, Rooker has swag. that guys a straight G!

haha, Laurie Holden didn't know what the hell a GOPRO was. i wasn't supposed to take her picture.

yeah, me and ROOKER!
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Simplyrob

as i was saying today was nuts. I'm a fan of the Valiant series Harbinger. i had Clayton Henry on my list. dropped off my new sketchbook to him this afternoon and asked for a inked Harada. i picked it up on the way out of the con. turned out gangster!

i wasn't sure how to go about the sketchbook, but opted to have everyone do something different. if artists are working on a book, have them do that character or one from their book. a keen idea rather than all Invincible characters, me thinks.

heres a panorama i took of the crowd going back into the con after a break outside. the HCG drop was today and the reception was sh!tty in the convention hall. i stepped out for a minutes to grab the prints i wanted, got all 3 (woot woot), but was surprised to see the doors closed when i went back to enter. they were holding the lines because the fire marshall said there were too many people inside. Vince was downstairs waiting in the Eastman line (he got pissed and bailed), so, i was solo with only a backpack. i waited until i saw an opening and bolted inside ahead of maybe 300 people. ridiculous.

today it felt like SDCC. granted, i haven't been back to SDCC in maybe 7 years, but, i remember the nuts to butts crowds. after today so glad we went Thursday and Friday with the family. wouldn't have been as much fun with them today. overall, a great and unexpectedly expensive weekend.

the CGC books i had signed were:

Guardians of the Galaxy #1 - sketched by Valentino and signed by Rooker
Chew Script Book #1 - signed by Layman
Savage Wolverine #1 - signed by Cho
Guarding the Globe #1 - signed by Nauck
The Walking Dead #109 - sketched by Suydam and signed by Rooker
The Walking Dead #44 - signed by Holden
The Walking Dead #49 - signed by Riggs
Ten Grand #1 - signed by Templesmith

Vince and i after braving the convention and making it out alive and without any altercations.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Looks like you had another great con Rob! Congrats on the pick ups.

Quick question: Suydam is supposed to be at a local con here in Louisville in July. Did he have art for sale or did he just sketch? How much for the sketch?
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Simplyrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavehawk78 View Post
Quick question: Suydam is supposed to be at a local con here in Louisville in July. Did he have art for sale or did he just sketch? How much for the sketch?
he had a ton of prints for sale. i think maybe $15 or $20 each. he did a sketch of zombie penguin in ashers sketchbook but only after i commissioned him for a piece. he charged me $100 for the comic cover, not bad for how awesome it turned out. my goodness. he asked me for a scan but, it'll be graded and slabbed, so, i don't know how that'll happen. arthur is a total hoot, btw.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Thanks for the info. I loved his Marvel Zombie stuff so I'd really like to get something from him.....preferably zombified.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
whd
Suicide Squad

Congrats! Sounds like fun!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Sounds like you had a great time, congrats on time with friends and artists!
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Simplyrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavehawk78 View Post
Thanks for the info. I loved his Marvel Zombie stuff so I'd really like to get something from him.....preferably zombified.
Don't forget, Kirkman did write the first two series of that which allowed him to start TWD. Yes, his work on MZ was great.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
BillC
Hellboy

Whoa!

Did Rooker admit he was playing Yondu in the movie?

Did you see Valentino doing any other sketches there?
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
Simplyrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Did Rooker admit he was playing Yondu in the movie?
Did you see Valentino doing any other sketches there?
Yeah, Rooker said he was working on GOTG. He seemed pretty pumped about it, was even rocking a mohawk. I didn't see Jim doing any sketches at all. He only charged me $40 for the Yondu.