Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Talking Superman and Wonder Woman do GREASE!

If you've read any number of DC Elseworlds stories, you know one of the tropes they recycle endlessly is misplacing Superman's rocket when it comes to Earth. In fact, I'd say 90% of all Superman Elseworlds stories are just that. Well, years ago I wrote a fan-fic parody of those kinds of stories, and recently revised it with the idea of doing a series out of it.

And of course, I took advantage of a recent commission opportunity from DA artist Ashlee Iglesias to get a piece of digital art based on this silly story of mine:

Yes, you're seeing this right. This Elseworlds spoof has Superman being raised by Danny Zuko and Sandy Olsson (talk about an upgrade from Martha Kent!), and Wonder Woman is his Pink Lady love interest. It was one of those ideas that was so out there that I had to go with it. It also helps that Miss Iglesias is a huge fan of the Superman/Wonder Woman romance in general, so this went very smoothly and the communication on the commission's progress was terrific. I'm very happy with the way this turned out, and I'll certainly be doing business with Miss Iglesias again.

By the by, here's Miss Iglesias' DA page, and I believe she's still taking commissions:
http://ashlee1012000.deviantart.com/

And for those of you wondering what in God's name I wrote in the first place, here's the fan-fic, all 23 parts of it:
http://comicbookartfiend.deviantart....llery/44338761

You know the "World's Worst Fan Fiction" comedy style used by the Transformers fandom? That kind of ZAZ-style craziness in movies like Naked Gun and Airplane? Yeah, I applied that to Superman. So expect the surreal, the obscure, the bizarre, and the sometimes really gross. But if nothing else, at least the art is nice!
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Great "Fun" commission! Nice to see a story behind it!

Congrats!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Love the style! Prices are great too, thanks for sharing!
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
blackjack
Hellboy

nice!
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs1162 View Post
Great "Fun" commission! Nice to see a story behind it!

Congrats!
One of the gags in the story is -- surprise, surprise -- the utter contrast between Clark Zuko/Superman and fellow T-Bird Bruce Wayne. While Clark is hopelessly devoted to Diana, Bruce is an unrepentant skirt chaser who can't understand the concept of monogamy. If you were to do an art piece based on the version of Batman in this story, you'd run out of room for all the chicks he loves and leaves. And if you were to do an art piece based on one of the other couples in the story, Eel O'Brien and Zatanna Zatara...ick. That's all I can say about those two. Just ick.

But hey, Danny and Sandy were the least crazy of the T-Birds and Pink Ladies in the original, so why shouldn't Clark and Diana be the normal ones out of their group?
Old 06-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Magneto
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

This is great. Congrats!
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Here are a few other examples of Miss Iglesias' work:

I think the Superman/Wonder Woman bar art is still my favorite piece of hers.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
MrYac
Hercules

what an insane (in a good way) idea. I can't wait to see what else you've got, west side story with the Bat's and the Supe's perhaps
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
what an insane (in a good way) idea. I can't wait to see what else you've got, west side story with the Bat's and the Supe's perhaps
I'll leave that to someone else to pitch as a story (I'd love to read it, though!). For me, I'll be sticking with the Greaseverse and making things even nuttier therein. I've got a version of Doomsday in mind that is absolutely off-the-wall.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Underdog07
Hercules

nice mash up. clever idea
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote