Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #251
SONICobra
Batman

very cool, thanks for sharing!
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #252
heykool69
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

These daily mini clips is killing me. Can't wait. And Kate looks GREAT!
heykool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #253
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

So, saw this last night at an event preview...I'd avoid my thoughts iff you want to keep completely SPOILER free. There are some mild SPOILERS here if you read between the lines I guess.

READ AT OWN RISK:

I'm going to prefix this with the caveat that anyone who likes the direction of humour that the MCU is going with, will probably like this film. Fans of Guardians of the Galaxy will like this film. Fans of Thor, the real Thor? Ehhhh...probably not so much.

Given that I thought GOTG 2 was a convoluted mess, tacked together clumsily, I was worried about this, and on reflection I think I was right to be.

The Good:

Hulk. In fact every element to do with Planet Hulk. Ruffalo is great, and hearing the Hulk speak is fantastic. Every scene he's in with Thor makes Thor as a character much better in the film.

Tessa Thomson as Valkyrie is the second best character after Hulk, she has an arc, development, she's really fleshed out, reminding me of Caira (sp?) in the original Planet Hulk.

The direction. Taika Wakiti's work is at home with big budget films.
The humour is funny, even if out of place in a lot of areas.

Hela is phenominal, the accent wears a little here and there, but she really grabs your attention in every scene she's in, even if she is a completely cliche villain.

Jeff Goldblum is so good, much better than I thought he'd be.

The Bad.

Thor and Loki are almost unrecognisable to me from the first movie, like they're totally different characters. Cap has an arc, he develops, he evolves. Loki and Thor seem like they've got multiple personality disorders. And they aren't at all invested emotionally in whats happening to Asgard, more interested in quipping and back slapping.

Every supporting character bar Valkyrie is really short changed.

The CGI is just everywhere, it's like the remastered Star Wars editions. It is so bad in places, it's like watching a video game cut scene.

If you want two half movies, then you're going to get them. A lot of time and investment is spent on Sakaar, and Asgard and the whole crisis there seems completely secondary and fudged in.

The pacing, while understandable considering the welding together of two massive stories, is so rushed it beggars belief. Things are dealt with so quickly in places.

So a rating...well I'm trying not to let my disappointment show too much here, but it's probably as good as I thought GOTG2 was.

6/10
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #254
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

If it's like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 then i know i will like it. GotG 2 is my favorite Marvel film. It's so awesome.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #255
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Not good. GotG2 was a complete and utter mess of a movie and it seems my fear of Marvel’s over reliance on comedic moments has once again overshadowed what should be serious material.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #256
Mister H
Gen 13

This movie looks wacky and silly. Won't bother watching it, not when I have Three Stooges blue-rays in my garage.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #257
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Not good. GotG2 was a complete and utter mess of a movie and it seems my fear of Marvel’s over reliance on comedic moments has once again overshadowed what should be serious material.
Exactly how I felt, watching it. It's clumsy and a bit too childish in places.

Admittedly I'm not the best at first time watching reactions with comicbook films, and maybe it was a smidge better than GOTG2, but defo no more than a 7 in my book.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #258
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
This movie looks wacky and silly. Won't bother watching it, not when I have Three Stooges blue-rays in my garage.
spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Exactly how I felt, watching it. It's clumsy and a bit too childish in places.

Admittedly I'm not the best at first time watching reactions with comicbook films, and maybe it was a smidge better than GOTG2, but defo no more than a 7 in my book.
I’m sure your reaction has plenty of merit. I was concerned about these very things but figured Disney was just playing it for the trailers.

I gave GotG2 a 6/10 and think that was generous. I still haven’t watched it a second time. It’s right up there with Iron Man 3 for me as the worst Marvel film in their catalog so far. I may even go as far as to say it is the worst.

The thing I’m finding irritating about the Marvel films as of late is they either follow an interchangeable narrative template or overemphasize the comedy. It’s the main reason I’m more excited about DC now because they’re at least trying to take the material seriously. Something Marvel seems to have all but adandoned now.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #259
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
This is my fear now. Thor is my favorite Marvel character following Captain America. If this movie is like GOTG2, which I also felt was a big, hot, steaming, convoluted mess, then I'll be completely bummed.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #260
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
This is my fear now. Thor is my favorite Marvel character following Captain America. If this movie is like GOTG2, which I also felt was a big, hot, steaming, convoluted mess, then I'll be completely bummed.
And Kevin Feige has recently said that he's not opposed to having Thor replaced by a female version in the future. It looks like the Marvel movie machine is starting to take a turn for the worst. At least Hellboy looks to be shaping up pretty nicely. A Dark Horse movie universe would be fantastic!
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote